SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Specific decoder settings in properties files

Sage 6.4.1 introduced the ability for Sage to use specific decoders for specific media formats:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
7. Added ability to specify the audio or video decoder used for any specific media format in DirectShow. This is done in the properties file under videoframe/codec_audio_decoder_filter or videoframe/codec_video_decoder_filter where 'codec' is replaced by the media format name. These properties will get created as media with a new format is played back.
Since then there are a mish-mash of posts asking for help with these settings in the properties files, so I thought I would do a brain dump of what I know regarding these settings. Hopefully others can share all the other combinations of settings they have come across and used. While I can find tidbits for several of these, I could not (easily) find a single post that encompassed multiple decoders.

Please add to the list.

Arcsoft TME
H264
videoframe/h264_video_decoder_filter=ArcSoft Video Decoder
AAC
videoframe/aac_audio_decoder_filter=ArcSoft Audio Decoder HD
Notes: The Hauppauge OEM version of the Arcsoft Total Media Extreme decoders have all worked reasonably well with the above settings. The release software for TME from Arcosot (not OEM) did not originally support AAC audio (I do not know if it does at this time).

CoreAVC / CoreAAC
H264
videoframe/h264_video_decoder_filter=CoreAVC Video Decoder
AAC
videoframe/aac_audio_decoder_filter=CoreAAC Audio Decoder
Note: CoreAVC does not currently support DXVA, but apparently has about the lowest processor overhead available without it.

Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.x (PDVD7)
H264
videoframe/h264_video_decoder_filter=CyberLink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD7.x)
AAC
videoframe/AAC_audio_decoder_filter=CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD7.x)
Notes: Under Sage 6.4.X I was unable to get H264 video to playback inside Sage using the PDVD7 decoders (playback worked in PDVD7 itself though). I have since upgraded to PDVD8 (see below), so have not tested any further to see if they work currently or not. The same with AAC audio with PDVD7.

Cyberlink PowerDVD 8.x (PDVD8)
H264
videoframe/h264_video_decoder_filter=CyberLink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD8)
AAC
videoframe/aac_audio_decoder_filter=CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD8)
Notes: As with PDVD7, I experienced problems getting PDVD8 decoders to work with Sage, although playback in the PDVD8 application worked well. With the beta demuxers (v 2.0.1.X) PDVD8 began working inside Sage for H264 content. AAC content, however, has worked with certain versions of the beta demuxer, but not all. YMMV.

DIVX
H264
videoframe/h264_video_decoder_filter=DivX H264 Decoder Filter
Notes: I have never used DIVX personally, this was taken from a post by Brent. YMMV

Monogram AAC Filter
AAC
videoframe/AAC_audio_decoder_filter=MONOGRAM AAC Decoder

Nero
MP3
videoframe/mp3_audio_decoder_filter=Nero Digital Audio Decoder
Notes: Some decoder packages have been known to not work well with MP3 audio, as such, users have had to add in an MP3 decoder line into their properties files to use the previous MP3 decoder. So this is provided as reference from my own system.

Keywords (because search does not find combination words)
h264 h.264 aac mp3 audio video decoder filter audio_decoder video_decoder audio_decoder_filter video_decoder_filter h264_video_decoder_filter AAC_audio_decoder_filter videoframe settings sage.properties sageclient.properties