SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

FF and spinning circle (strange)

Everyone,

On the weekend I updated to version 6.5 (from 6.4). I have noticed some strange behaviour when watching recorded programs - when I hit the FF button, I get the spinning circle for a second or two and then it starts to FF. After this FF, if I only watch a few seconds of the program and hit FF again, no spinning circle. If I wait much longer (a couple of minutes or so) and hit FF, spinning circle again.

I started playing around I noticed that this FF/spinning circle thing only occurs on recorded programs since the update to 6.5. Older recorded programs (on version 6.4) do not ever have the spinning circle when FF'ing.

The only other update I did on the weekend was to update to Java release 10 (from release 7).

Note I have the HVR-2250 tuner with a OTA source.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
________
SC2 REPLAYS

Last edited by bmac.to; 03-21-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

A bit more data - I got something wrong in my first post. It does not matter the age of the recording - the spinning circle occurs on any recording (as long as there is enough delay between successive FFs).

As well, I have figured out that the spinning circle only occurs when using EVR - when I revert to VMR9, the spinning circle never occurs. What is it about EVR that causes this?

Some background - Vista 64 Ultimate, I usde the PDVD7 mpeg decoder.

Any ideas?
________
Ford fusion (europe)

Last edited by bmac.to; 03-21-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Have you tried using the latest beta demuxer to see if it fixes your problem?

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&postcount=325
Old 02-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, I actually tried the new demux (the beta one) without any change. Same result - spinning circle only with EVR.

One advantage I have noticed with EVR is the screen updates while FF or RW are much faster than with VMR9 - with VMR9 the screen updates during FF/RW are much less consistent.
________
Free fuck xxx

Old 02-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Increasing the BufferSize and NumBuffers registry values might help, but let's start with the basics:

Video card?

Operating system? EDIT: Saw this as Vista 64

Decoders installed and how are they configured?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

I too am getting the same thing and the only things that changed was
updating Sage from 6.4.8 to 6.5.9
and updating my HVR-2250 drivers from
version: 081219_22xx_7.5.6.26354.PreRelease
to version: 090107_22xx_7.5.25.27007.PreRelease

which now I am able to find HD channels

Scat
Old 02-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hello,

.Two HVR-2250's
.Vista 64-bit Ultimate
.ATI Radeon 4850 - Catalyst v8.10
.Besides the Sage and Microsoft decoders, only PDVD7 and Hauppauge decoders installed
.Cyberlink PDVD7 decoder chosen with hardware acceleration enabled - as well, both the Cyberlink demux and decoder set as global defaults as verified with GraphEdit
.default STV

Note that only two changes created this symptom - upgrading to 6.5 (from 6.4) and I also upgraded to Java release 10. Also, switching from the default EVR to the VMR9, the symptom disappears.

Note to scat, I dont believe this symptom has anything to do with your updated 2250 drivers as I did not update mine - plus, the problem isnt with the tuning, it is a playback issue.

Thanks.
________
Toyota Ar Engine Specifications

Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

I finally got a chance to play around with this again and I have figured out the cause. I always run my machine in a reduced power state (it goes to sleep when not being used, and does not crank everything up to 100% when running).

I noticed that when I went into a maximum power state, I never got the spinning circle when I started a FF/RW after watching something for several minutes (10 was my test). I then went through each of the power settings to figure out the offender - it turns out that it was the processor performance range that was causing this issue - I allowed a range of 5% to 100%. If I set the range to 100% to 100%, the spinning circle never occurs.

I also noticed that my performance numbers now fall in line with what I see in these forums - 10% for the SageTV process while displaying an HD show. When I allowed the processor some performance range, the process would hover around 25%-30%.

So, does anybody in these forums try to save energy? Does anybody allow the machine to sleep when idle? When my machine is sleeping, it only draws 7W vs 140W while running. If I couldnt get this PVR to sleep when idle, I would have never seen this as a viable part of my entertainment center.

PS - it was 140W when the processor had some performance range - I will have to check it again to see the impact of this change. If it is too great, I will go back to VMR9 because EVR is just too energy inefficient.
________
EXTREME Q