SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Something really whacky is going on here - need help

I'm running a HD200 (firmware is up to date) as an extender with SageMC. It is connected to my WHS (HP media smart server) and Sage Media Center (v6.5) WHS add-in is running on the WHS. Here's the really whacky thing I'm seeing: Everytime I go into the SageMC settings menu, the WHS's CPU goes crazy. It ramps up to 100% and keeps running at that level for about 10 minutes or so. It makes going through the settings menu in SageMC painfully slow...hit button, wait ten seconds and watch spinning circle, action takes place, hit button again....you get the idea. This only happens when I go into the SageMC menus and it is like clockwork in that it happens each every time I go into the menus (I have a laptop remoted connected to the WHS and can watch the Task Manager performance screen). As long as I stay out of the menus, I do not see this behavior.

Any ideas of what is going on here and how I can fix it?

Thanks

Last edited by Texas-Hansen; 02-12-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Did you install java on your WHS?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Exactly which settings menu does this? Is it the Detailed Settings menu?

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Did you install java on your WHS?

Gerry
Yes, I have:
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_13
and
Java JRE 6 Update 12 http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Exactly which settings menu does this? Is it the Detailed Settings menu?

Aloha,
Mike

The CPU goes crazy as soon as I enter the settings menu...not sure which one to call it but I've posted this screenshot of the one I'm referring to. (I'm at work and had to pull up the SageTV server software to mimic my setup and grab a screen shot of where I recall it occurring.)

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: gif untitled.GIF (384.4 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by Texas-Hansen; 02-12-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas-Hansen View Post
Yes, I have:
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_13
and
Java JRE 6 Update 12 http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Uninstall the v1.4.2_13. You should only have one version of java running. Java JRE 6 Update 12 is the latest. After the uninstall reboot your machine and test.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Uninstall the v1.4.2_13. You should only have one version of java running. Java JRE 6 Update 12 is the latest. After the uninstall reboot your machine and test.

Gerry
Uninstalled v1.4... of Java. It had no effect.

I'm still getting the same high CPU usuage as soon as I enter the SageMC menu (see screen shoot in post above). I watched it a bit more tonight and if I move to the next level of menus and wait 2 minutes in that menu, the CPU goes back to normal and I can navigate and change things easily...but as soon as I go back out of those and hit that SageMC menu (see screen shot), the CPU goes wild again at 100% for prolonged period of time.

Any ideas? Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Sage Expert

What is your Java Heap Size? SageMC STV can be a real memory hog. If your Java heap setting is too low, Java garbage collection kicks in to try to free up memory which usually results in high CPU usage and slow SageTV response until it's done. A search of the forum for Java Heap Size should help you find out where to make that change in the Windows Registry. You will want the heap size (decimal value) of at least 512 and possibly as high as 768 or 1024 if you have multiple media extenders. Also, if you are using one of the SageMC STV pre-releases, make sure you have the proper STV loaded (the .xml included with the pre-release and not the original one from the last full release).

Server Hardware: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, Intel Q9550 CPU 2.83GHz, 11GB RAM, 1xHDHR, 1xHVR1600, 1xHVR2250
29TB Server Storage: 1TB SSD (OS), 1TB (data), 2x6TB+2x10TB (22TB FlexRaid storage pool), 2x2TB (recordings), 1x750GB (VMs).
Server Software: Win10 Pro x64 OS, SageTV 64bit v9.2.0.441, Java 1.8 u241, PlayOn, Comskip (Donator) v0.82.003, WampServer v2.5.
Clients: 3xHD300s, 2xHD100, 2xPlaceshifters
Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robogeek View Post
What is your Java Heap Size? SageMC STV can be a real memory hog. If your Java heap setting is too low, Java garbage collection kicks in to try to free up memory which usually results in high CPU usage and slow SageTV response until it's done. A search of the forum for Java Heap Size should help you find out where to make that change in the Windows Registry. You will want the heap size (decimal value) of at least 512 and possibly as high as 768 or 1024 if you have multiple media extenders. Also, if you are using one of the SageMC STV pre-releases, make sure you have the proper STV loaded (the .xml included with the pre-release and not the original one from the last full release).
Thank you. When I went into the Registry of the WHS, it showed Sage's Java Heap was 0. I upped it to 512. I think this may have resolved the issue as it seems to have gone away. Thanks again!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

Getting the same problem

I'm getting the same problem.

Within SageMC, if I click on Settings I get a wait circle for about 30 seconds then the Settings menu appears. On the Settings menu if I navigate up/down I once again get the wait circle for about 45 seconds to 120 seconds per menu item. So navigating the Settings screen is Really Painful

I've done the following to test:
Fully uninstalled Sage and have tried multiple versions including BETAs.
Fully uninstalled Java and tried _12 and _13.
Installed SageMC from the full installation package and have upgraded the STV multiple times from the latest public release to BETAs.

I do have one client but this occurs whether the client is connected or not. The client is also running SageTV 6.5.15.211

Here are the software specs:
Software Version: SageTV 6.5.15.211
Java Version: 1.6.0_13
SageMC STV Version: 6.3.9a pre-release 41
sagemc.jar Version: 6.3.8
df_sageutils.jar Version: 2.2
phoenix.jar Version: 1.23
Current STV File: SageMC_6_3_9a_41.xml
JVM Heap Size: (Used/Total/Max) 92MB/135MB/533MB

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
AWS
Old 05-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

My WHS server was dragging slow until I realized that the Sage CLIENT was loading on WHS startup as well as the service. Look in the tray on the WHS machine for the Sage logo. Once I killed the Sage client from auto starting on the server, my system has been solid and headless.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

On my setup Sage is installed on WinXP SP3. It is the server and I watch TV from it (non-headless). It also has a client auto-attach to it whenever that PC is on.

The service runs automatically as well as the GUI auto-loads on boot to full screen.

AWS
Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoetim View Post
My WHS server was dragging slow until I realized that the Sage CLIENT was loading on WHS startup as well as the service. Look in the tray on the WHS machine for the Sage logo. Once I killed the Sage client from auto starting on the server, my system has been solid and headless.
Interesting. I'll have to look at this. How did you kill the client on the WHS from auto starting?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Even though I'm "headless", I have a monitor and keyboard connected until I am sure I don't need them. I went to the server to check out the problem and saw the Sage logo in the tray. I simply killed it at the server. I tried to delete it from the start menu but it seems (no proof) that when I launch the client at the server to do a little maintenance that needs a keyboard, Sage resets the launch at start up. Again, I can't prove it but I am 99% sure it is happening.

Also, I need the screen because IE8 keeps popping up a screen when we launch Netflix from the HD200. My son closed it before I had a chance to shut it off.