SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 AM

Bluray question

I am looking to purchase a SageTV setup as follows:

1 custom built HTPC that will be placed in a closet somewhere running SageTV software.
2 SageTV HD Theaters that will be hooked up to my two TVs.
100mbps Ethernet to connect the Theaters to the HTPC

My questions is if I have a Bluray player in my HTPC, will I be able to watch the disc from any TV? I searched through the forums, but I couldn't really find a clear answer. Most setups I saw said yes you can, by using PowerDVD or some such, but that seemed to me just a one HTPC hooked to one TV setup thing. I want to see if I could watch the Bluray through the extenders (saving me from purchasing multiple Bluray players)

Also as a side question will the lack of Gigabit ethernet be a problem for HD content?

Thanks for any advice
Old 02-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Sage Icon

this thread will walk you through how to rip your BluRay's to the hard disk, and watch them via the extenders.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
this thread will walk you through how to rip your BluRay's to the hard disk, and watch them via the extenders.
Thank you for your reply, but I was more interested in a method that did not require ripping. I did not want to rip every dvd I rented kinda thing. I understand there might be a issue with this due to security constraints on the Bluray discs, but I am not sure I really understand whats involved.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

Ripping is the only way to play them on your extenders.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_E View Post
Ripping is the only way to play them on your extenders.
Ah, well that would explain why I couldn't find a tutorial on the subject. Thanks for your response.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaforc View Post
Thank you for your reply, but I was more interested in a method that did not require ripping. I did not want to rip every dvd I rented kinda thing. I understand there might be a issue with this due to security constraints on the Bluray discs, but I am not sure I really understand whats involved.
You can playback regular DVDs without ripping, but not Blu-Ray. I have a drive on my PC shared across the network, AnyDVD loaded, and Sage Configured with that share as a video library folder. Works fine for DVD, though it doesn't recognize disks immediately. Won't work for Blu-Ray though.
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD