SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via MSN to Kryspy
HD-PVR woes on WHS

Okay,

I cannot for the life of me get the HD-PVR to work properly on my WHS box.

When I go into the Arcsoft capture module to change the audio output to spdif I get a "device unavailable or in use error:.

I tried a posted fix in the Arcsoft forums same result. RCA outputs work fine as they are the default.

Question is, is my error a result of my audio being shut off in the bios of my motherboard? I didn't think this would matter as the HD-PVR is a encoder and shouldn't care about the lack of an audio card in the PC.

Any insight would be great at this point.

Kryspy
Old 03-11-2009, 06:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Make sure you have disconnected the analog cables and only have the optical connected when you go to change it. Make sure you have at least the 1.053 version of the HD-PVR drivers installed. I know Arcsoft TME will want to go out and upgrade to the latest version but make sure you have the drivers installed that support optical.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi,

I did all of that. So I assume there is no need for an audio card to be set up.

Kryspy
Old 03-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Sage Expert

make sure you plug the SPDIF from your STB to the SPDIF "IN" port and not the "OUT" port. I made this mistake and it cost me about 2 hours .

-Brian
Old 03-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake550 View Post
make sure you plug the SPDIF from your STB to the SPDIF "IN" port and not the "OUT" port. I made this mistake and it cost me about 2 hours .

-Brian
I second this advice - it's the most common mistake made.
And no, your onboard audio has nothing to do with capture.
Capture: 1 x HDHR (Both tuning QAM); 1 x HD-PVR C2 (Component to Moto DCH-3200 - Channel change via Firewire);
Extenders: 2 x STX-HD100; 1 x HD-300 (Panny G20 50" Plasma, Sony 32" LCD, Sammy 26 " LCD)
Old 03-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ghostlobster
I have the same issue on my WHS box. S/PDIF shows "device not available" RCA cables work just fine. Yes, I've confirmed I was going into the Opt. In port, as well as going as far as changinjg out the optical cable. I've contacted Sage support about it and we;ve really been unable to come to a resolution. I'm thinking that my HD-PVR might need to be RMAed. It also could certainly be related to the server mobo's limited audio functionality.
I get the error on all my clients, as well as when trying to watch on the server itself.
If I ever get motivated, I plan on putting together another WHS box on a decent mobo and test it out, but I'm not sure I feel that particular motivation anytime soon.
Client 2 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, ATI HD2400 Pro
Client 3 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 8500 GT

Raleigh Computer Repair
Old 03-15-2009, 07:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post
I have the same issue on my WHS box. S/PDIF shows "device not available" RCA cables work just fine. Yes, I've confirmed I was going into the Opt. In port, as well as going as far as changinjg out the optical cable. I've contacted Sage support about it and we;ve really been unable to come to a resolution. I'm thinking that my HD-PVR might need to be RMAed. It also could certainly be related to the server mobo's limited audio functionality.
I get the error on all my clients, as well as when trying to watch on the server itself.
If I ever get motivated, I plan on putting together another WHS box on a decent mobo and test it out, but I'm not sure I feel that particular motivation anytime soon.
You may want to try installing the original drivers that came on the cd and THEN upgrading them to 1.053 or 1.054. I'm running 1.054 with no issues for SPDIF. But when I did my reinstall on WHS I had to install the original to be able to run the .exe upgrade to the 1.053 or 054 drivers. This is what worked for me and YMMV.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Sage Expert

Ghostlobster...

the onboard audio of your motherboard has NOTHING to do with SPDIF working or not for HD-PVR.

I have my motherboard audio disabled in the BIOS on the server and then on the clients (or wherever you view the recordings/live tv) I have audio enabled, but it can be two channel or anything....

Unless....you are trying to view on the server, then you'd need the audio enabled. You should also check the SPDIF out settings from your cable/satellite box (STB). Make sure it's set to output DD 5.1 and NOT PCM. I had that problem too with my DirecTV STB initially. Heck, it might even be disabled, but powered on (if you see red light beam).
Old 03-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

I envy those without troubles but for me it is adding a weak link to an already stable chain of what works in my house.

My satellite boxes are problem free. I am going to mount an antenna this weeka nd just utilize Sagetv for OTA recording and viewing. Who knows some day it may be all I need anyways. 700 channels and nothing on ?!?

My HD-PVR worked the first day I got it. Who knows maybe it went defective. Regardless of whether it did or it is a driver issue; what I stated above would still apply.

Kryspy
Old 03-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ghostlobster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryspy View Post
I envy those without troubles but for me it is adding a weak link to an already stable chain of what works in my house.

My satellite boxes are problem free. I am going to mount an antenna this weeka nd just utilize Sagetv for OTA recording and viewing. Who knows some day it may be all I need anyways. 700 channels and nothing on ?!?

My HD-PVR worked the first day I got it. Who knows maybe it went defective. Regardless of whether it did or it is a driver issue; what I stated above would still apply.

Kryspy
Same thing here. I really think the HD-PVR is broken and needs to be RMAed. Yes, I've confirmed that my STB is set to DD out, and that the optical is enabled, and I've disconnected the RCA cables when trying to use S-PDIF.
Client 2 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, ATI HD2400 Pro
Client 3 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 8500 GT

Raleigh Computer Repair