SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-16-2009, 05:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Playing the same file on different clients/placeshifters

Is it possible? To just start 2-3 different Placeshifters and my HD200 in the living room, and then be able to control all clients as a single client? As long as the playback is started at the same time, the playback should be in sync too.

I have the web interface installed, and all placeshifters and clients can be remotely controlled from it, so I just hoped that this was possible...
Old 03-16-2009, 06:19 AM
SageTVaholic

I assume you are trying to basically display the same show across multiple tv's? You would be better off just using an AV Distribution AMP and just one extender (or placeshifter). You might be able to pull this off if you used something CQC so that it if you entered a command it would start all devices at once. I haven't tried it but that would be your best bet IF you tried to use a software solution. Sage treats each node as its own playback so doing simultaneous playback would be near impossible.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
I assume you are trying to basically display the same show across multiple tv's? You would be better off just using an AV Distribution AMP and just one extender (or placeshifter). You might be able to pull this off if you used something CQC so that it if you entered a command it would start all devices at once. I haven't tried it but that would be your best bet IF you tried to use a software solution. Sage treats each node as its own playback so doing simultaneous playback would be near impossible.
Yeah, I basically want to play the same file on different computers and TVs.

However, I don't have a TV in every room, but I have a computer (don't ask why, I really don't know), and I have three PlaceShifter licenses, but only one HD200.

What is CQC?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Sage Icon

If you're willing to tolerate the clients being a second or two out of sync (maybe less), you could use the webserver to start them all.

I'd do this:

1. get each placeshifter client running
  2. open three instances of the web interface from a computer (shouldn't matter if its one you're using placeshifter on or not)
  3. on each web screen, drill down to the file you'd like to play
  4. quickly click "play on xxxxx" on each screen to launch the file for each of the three placeshifters
The first and last client *should* only be out-of-sync by the total time it took you to click on "play" in the first and last web browser screens.

hope this helps
matt
Old 03-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the tip!

Hmm... by a little scripting, this could be also automated.
A second or so out of sync wouldn't be a problem.