SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldjcox View Post

Open to any ideas here...

Michael
Michael, is it possible to contact Sage on that? I hope they would be interested to help...

Yuly
Old 08-23-2010, 12:54 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBox View Post
Absolutely.... here it is. Thanks so much for looking into this.

EDIT - I did play around with it a little more and noticed something new this time. It seems that the config tool is getting blocked somehow by Windows 7. I noticed a window called "Interactive Services Detection" telling me that an application has a message for me. I opened the message and it took me to a separate screen outside the desktop and saw the config tool, but it wasn't usable. I tried to turn on the encoder, but it would turn off a couple seconds later. I don't think my permissions are an issue blocking the tool (?)... I did some reading online and there is an option to turn Interactive Services Detection off, but this would mean all messages would be disabled and I may end up not seeing the config tool anyway. Maybe this tidbit along with the encoder.log file will help solve this problem. Thanks!

EDIT 2 - I looked into the "Interactive Services Detection" message and its a Windows compatibility thing. Apparently, we would need the encoder to be "Session 0 Isolation" compatible. There is a good article about this here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/patricka/arc...ing-at-me.aspx

Is anyone else running this plugin with no issue in Windows 7?
Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Been on holiday for 2 weeks. Sadly back on the train heading for work

So the issue is the web feed encoder will not start.

It reports:

Code:
Aug 9, 2010 8:40:59 PM TuningThread uk.co.mdjcox.webfeedencoder.TuningThread run SEVERE: WebFeedEncoder-0 Server failed
java.net.SocketException: Unrecognized Windows Sockets error: 0: JVM_Bind
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at uk.co.mdjcox.webfeedencoder.TuningThread.listenForConnections(TuningThread.java:93)
	at uk.co.mdjcox.webfeedencoder.TuningThread.run(TuningThread.java:69)
I have a WFE on a windows 7 (64 bit) box with SagreTV 6.6 and have not seen this one before.

I think that either:
  1. The encoder was already running and this was a repeat attempt - but I would expect to see an "already bound" exception in this case - so unlikely.
  2. Some anti-virus/spyware/firewall software is interfering - you could try turning these off temporariliy.
  3. Another process is using that port. Try changing the config to change the use of port 1099 to something else - possibly a much bigger number would be safest e.g. try something like 10000. You might need a few attempts to find a free port.

On the services thing - I configure the service to be non-interactive - which is the default. Window services->select the web feed encoder->right click->Choose properties->log on tab->uncheck "Allow service to interact with desktop".

When there are problems - and usually these are problems with VLC I temporarily turn this on to see what mesage is being posted by the failing VLC for webfeedencoder process.

In this case it is probably trying to report the failure to start because of the exception above - so thats the issue we need to fix.

Michael
Old 08-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner95 View Post
Michael, is it possible to contact Sage on that? I hope they would be interested to help...

Yuly
Hi Yuly

I submitted a request.

Not sure supporting plugin development will be terribly high on their priority list - but its worth a shot.

Michael
Old 08-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the reply and welcome back from holiday .

Quote:
2. Some anti-virus/spyware/firewall software is interfering - you could try turning these off temporariliy.
I did turn off the Windows Firewall completely during my testing and this did not help. I am not using any anti-virus /spyware software other than Windows Defender and I don't think that's an issue.

Quote:
3. Another process is using that port. Try changing the config to change the use of port 1099 to something else - possibly a much bigger number would be safest e.g. try something like 10000. You might need a few attempts to find a free port.
I tried changing the port to 9800, 10000 and 10100; didn't seem to have an effect.

Quote:
On the services thing - I configure the service to be non-interactive - which is the default. Window services->select the web feed encoder->right click->Choose properties->log on tab->uncheck "Allow service to interact with desktop".
This one's interesting. I turned "Interactive Services Detection" back on to see if I would get any messages after unchecking the box. In theory, this would prevent any dialog, but the Interactive Services Detection window popped back up every time I tried to launch the Webencoder Config tool.

There seems to be something trying to block the config tool from showing up, but after turning off the Firewall, changing ports and setting UAC settings to always notify to see if changes were detected on this end, I'm not sure what else to try. I did re-install the plug-in just in case, and stopped /started the service but no dice.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:42 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I tried changing the port to 9800, 10000 and 10100; didn't seem to have an effect.
I googled that exception. It seems to occur when UAC is enabled.

Do you have UAC enabled - can we try disabling it?

Michael
Old 08-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Do you have UAC enabled - can we try disabling it?
I do have UAC disabled (checked under Control Panel as well as the Registry). The service is running under System and the interact with desktop message option is not selected, yet I still get an "Interactive Services Detection" window popping-up every time I try to access the Config tool.

I am an Administrator, but I did not include a password because I wanted the system to automatically log-in. Would this be an issue? I did find Java.exe for it was the program giving the exception and gave "Full Access" to it under properties for my user ID. It did not help. So sorry to keep bugging you about this issue.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

I installed VIA the plugin manager and it won't start the encoder. I have attached the log and it appears it is trying to run the java executable from the SageTV/jre directory. Java is installed in its own directory and not in SageTV. Is there a place to specify where the java executable is? This is a WHS install. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt encoderplugin.txt (33.3 KB, 271 views)
Old 08-27-2010, 05:45 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlvogel322 View Post
I installed VIA the plugin manager and it won't start the encoder. I have attached the log and it appears it is trying to run the java executable from the SageTV/jre directory. Java is installed in its own directory and not in SageTV. Is there a place to specify where the java executable is? This is a WHS install. Thanks.
Away from the code at the moment.

C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\jre\bin\java.exe

looks very curious and (from memory) I cannot imagine how such a patch might of got built by code - so I'm suspecting environment variables...

could you launch a Command window and check the values of environment variables:

JAVA_HOME
and
PATH

i.e.

echo %JAVA_HOME%
echo %PATH%

pls.

Michael
Old 08-27-2010, 05:52 AM
SageTVaholic

On WHS java runtime is included with the WHS addin in the jre directory of SageTV by default. But a standalone install of java should have put in the stand alone jave home and path variable in place. Make sure you had rebooted after the java install.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Away from the code at the moment.

C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\jre\bin\java.exe

looks very curious and (from memory) I cannot imagine how such a patch might of got built by code - so I'm suspecting environment variables...

could you launch a Command window and check the values of environment variables:

JAVA_HOME
and
PATH

i.e.

echo %JAVA_HOME%
echo %PATH%

pls.

Michael
Hmm, those two variables were not set. It was a standalone install prior to installing version 7 of Sage. I have them set and will test later this morning to see if that took care of it. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:42 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlvogel322 View Post
Hmm, those two variables were not set. It was a standalone install prior to installing version 7 of Sage. I have them set and will test later this morning to see if that took care of it. Thanks for the help.
They should have been set as part of the install of java.

WFE does not touch those - just expects PATH to be set.

Michael
Old 08-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I do have UAC disabled (checked under Control Panel as well as the Registry). The service is running under System and the interact with desktop message option is not selected, yet I still get an "Interactive Services Detection" window popping-up every time I try to access the Config tool.

I am an Administrator, but I did not include a password because I wanted the system to automatically log-in. Would this be an issue? I did find Java.exe for it was the program giving the exception and gave "Full Access" to it under properties for my user ID. It did not help. So sorry to keep bugging you about this issue.
I wonder if we should change the login to be adminstrator and provide the password.

Even if its not the desired result I would be interested to see what happens if that change is made.

I had a lot of back and forth with that one myself - can't remember what I settled on in my home environment.

Michael
Old 08-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
They should have been set as part of the install of java.

WFE does not touch those - just expects PATH to be set.

Michael
I set both of the variables and tried to reinstall the plugin. I get the same error. I copied the java.exe into that directory and everything seems to be working. Any other thoughts?

Last edited by rlvogel322; 08-27-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Michael,

I added a password to my account and I still cannot open the Config tool.

Reading the post exchanges started by rlvogel322, it seems that we are having a silimar issue with Java.exe even though he's working on a WHS box and I'm on Windows 7 32-bit.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:23 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Hi Michael,

I added a password to my account and I still cannot open the Config tool.

Reading the post exchanges started by rlvogel322, it seems that we are having a silimar issue with Java.exe even though he's working on a WHS box and I'm on Windows 7 32-bit.
Hi,

So far I've been testing on my laptop SageTV 7 on vista 32bit and it works fine.

I finally upgraded my home setup to SageTV 7 (on windows 7) and guess what..

.. I cannot see the config tool. It launches and I can see it in the task manager process view - running as the logged in user. webfeedencoder/logs/configtool.log exists and its content is consistent with successful startup. However the GUI never appears! There is no exception in the webfeedencoder/logs/encoderplugin.log file.

I'm a a loss at the moment - this seems like more Microsoft security model nonsense.

I did however manage to run it from the command line. (Best done in an adminstrator command session from the SageTV directory):

java -jar webfeedencoder/libs/configtool.jar

Does that work for you?

Michael
Old 09-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Sage User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi,
I did however manage to run it from the command line. (Best done in an adminstrator command session from the SageTV directory):

java -jar webfeedencoder/libs/configtool.jar

Does that work for you?

Michael
That worked for me (I just installed and was having the same problem).
Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I can access the tool that way. Even though I don't like hearing that other people are having issues, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one on this boat. Michael, I wonder what's different on your laptop that doesn't block the config tool.....
Old 09-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

I can access the config tool via command line, but I cannot use it. It seems I cannot start the webfeedencoder service even as an administrator. The tool does show a green box for the SageTV Service. Here is the timeout message I copied from the cmd line if that helps any....

Code:
C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV>java -jar webfeedencoder/libs/configtool.jar
java.lang.Exception: Failed to start web feed encoder within 20 seconds
        at uk.co.mdjcox.utils.WrapperUtils.startEncoder(WrapperUtils.java:70)
        at uk.co.mdjcox.config.model.ConfigModel.startEncoder(ConfigModel.java:3
33)
        at uk.co.mdjcox.config.actions.StartEncoderAction.performControllerActio
n(StartEncoderAction.java:95)
        at uk.co.mdjcox.gui.actions.BaseAction$2.doInBackground(BaseAction.java:
226)
220)
        at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source
)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Old 09-22-2010, 02:33 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I can access the config tool via command line, but I cannot use it. It seems I cannot start the webfeedencoder service even as an administrator. The tool does show a green box for the SageTV Service. Here is the timeout message I copied from the cmd line if that helps any....

Code:
C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV>java -jar webfeedencoder/libs/configtool.jar
java.lang.Exception: Failed to start web feed encoder within 20 seconds
        at uk.co.mdjcox.utils.WrapperUtils.startEncoder(WrapperUtils.java:70)
        at uk.co.mdjcox.config.model.ConfigModel.startEncoder(ConfigModel.java:3
33)
        at uk.co.mdjcox.config.actions.StartEncoderAction.performControllerActio
n(StartEncoderAction.java:95)
226)
220)
        at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source
)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Hi,

Some questions and things to try...

Are you using the latest update?

Can you see the WebFeedEncoder service in windows services tab?

If so is it running and can you start and stop it from there?

If it will not run can you paste the file webfeedencoder/logs/wrapper.log

Michael
Old 09-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

It Works! -- via command line

Well.... I could not find the Wrapper.log file within sagetv/webfeedencoder/logs which leads me to believe that I somehow messed up the folder structures. I thought it best to perform a clean install before posting a response to your questions - I uninstalled the plugin in Sage and deleted all related folders.

I was unable to run the config file from within the plugin setup screen, but I could launch the file using the command line . I even was able to add a new channel and have it work in Sage!

I am really excited to get to play with this tool. Thank-you so much for all your help to get to this point. I hope that among all the investigating we find a reason why the config tool is getting blocked by Windows 7. Thanks again!

Tags
extender, internet video streaming, mvp, online videos, radio