SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Java Heap Size issue in SageMC on imported MCE (dvr-ms) recordings

I've recently converted from MCE 2005 to SageTV. Thanks to babgvant's excellent MigrateMCtoSage tool and nielm's excellent webserver XML import function, I've been able to migrate my old MCE 2005 dvr-ms files (150+ episodes) into the SageTV Recordings list.

I noticed immediately that the interface would slow down whenever I accessed these older files. As soon as I click on an episode and SageMC moves to the episode page (before I click "Watch"), the interface slows down (stutters). The menu highlight bar moves slowly and stutters accross the screen. Once I start watching the show, the video stutters for the first several seconds (at least as long as the OSD is up), then smooths out. When I skip forward or do anything else that brings up the OSD, the video and the OSD elements hesitate and stutter.

I decided to check the JVM Heap right after this occurs, and usage if VERY high. I had previously edited my registry to allow 512 MB (changed hex value from 0 to 200). I did this before I even knew where to check usage based on a suggestion to try to improve the system stability. During normal usage and accessing shows that Sage recorded, JVM Heap current and max usage seems normal (100+/200+/533). But after accessing the dvr-ms episode pages or playing part of the recording, the max usage pegs at 533 (e.g. 405/533/533). This seems excessively high and directly related to my interface hesitation/stutter, although I haven't tried setting it higher yet to see how high usage goes or if I can clear it up.

This ONLY happens in the SageMC STV, and not in the standard STV. And it only happens with MCE migrated dvr-ms recordings (all of them) and not SageTV recordings.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any recommendations for a solution?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just tried doubling the JVM Heap Size (to 400 Hex). The dvr-ms episodes seem to stutter even worse. Checked the status, and it's still maxing out. I show:

985/1065/1065

Something is WAY wrong. Any ideas?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Did you have to convert your dvrms files? I have about 500gb of recording I would love to get into sage but don't know how as all my dvrms are 5.1 sound they play fine on the extender but no sound.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

No, I didn't have to convert the files. They play okay as dvr-ms files, except for the hesitation and stuttering initially and when I skip through commercials. I'm experimenting now with transcoding the files, and it appears the converted files play fine without these same issues. But I'm not looking forward to converting 150+ files (250-300 GB).

It looks like that's where I may be headed since nobody here seems to have a clue why this is happening (or at least they're not saying so).

Did you try converting one to see if it works?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:49 AM
SageTVaholic

No I haven't yet but with with dvrms toolbox you should be able to run a script to convert the files without intervention.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
No I haven't yet but with with dvrms toolbox you should be able to run a script to convert the files without intervention.
Good idea! Thanks for the suggestion. I used to use DVRMSToolbox frequently on my MCE 2005 system. But I haven't needed it on my new machine, so I had forgotten about that option.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:02 PM
SageTVaholic

No problem what are you going to convert to? I was thinking mpeg 2
Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Did you have to convert your dvrms files? I have about 500gb of recording I would love to get into sage but don't know how as all my dvrms are 5.1 sound they play fine on the extender but no sound.
I ended up converting* all of the dvr-ms files that I wanted to keep around to mpeg with the AVIVO filters.

* the AVIVO method isn't really converting, it's just a container swap; which is a good thing
Old 03-27-2009, 02:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Andy,

Thanks for the tip I may try it that way. How did you get your data for the shows?

ps I listen to the podcast with you. I find it funny media center users rely on you so much yet you use sage
Old 03-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Andy,

Thanks for the tip I may try it that way. How did you get your data for the shows?
use the migration tool to generate the xml files that contain metadata, then change the file paths to mpg.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
I ended up converting* all of the dvr-ms files that I wanted to keep around to mpeg with the AVIVO filters.

* the AVIVO method isn't really converting, it's just a container swap; which is a good thing
Yeah, thanks for the tip. I may try that. Did you have issues with the dvr-ms files like I'm having? If not, why did you bother swapping containers?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_Cuda View Post
Did you have issues with the dvr-ms files like I'm having? If not, why did you bother swapping containers?
If you don't use the MS decoder, the frame size isn't set properly on ATSC content.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:26 PM
SageTVaholic

What about the files that don't contain metadata (my dvrms rips from dvd for series shows?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
What about the files that don't contain metadata (my dvrms rips from dvd for series shows?
If you still have the discs, personally I'd re-rip and import as VIDEO_TS.

Either way you can use BMT to dl the metadata automatically, as long as you name the file correctly.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Is vob supported in native dvd?

I don't like the idea of ripping to vob because then I can't select episodes direct from sage menu like i could with media center. I would keep every episode as a seperate file and get metadata using media browser.

is something like this possible with sage and recordedtv section can i get data for individual episodes even though they are ripped from dvd and have no info?
Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Is vob supported in native dvd?

I don't like the idea of ripping to vob because then I can't select episodes direct from sage menu like i could with media center. I would keep every episode as a seperate file and get metadata using media browser.

is something like this possible with sage and recordedtv section can i get data for individual episodes even though they are ripped from dvd and have no info?
in that case name the files like "show title - s1 e1" and use BMT to lookup the metadata, it will dl the fanart and properties automatically when import the videos into sage.

once they're imported, you can use the webserver to move them into the rec tv experience.