SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not Deleting Non Favorites

Ive been using Sage more for watching live tv lately and several times now I have recived the message that Sage cant continue recording because its run out of disk space.
I have to manually go and delete shows off the HD that were watched. Sometimes over 100 gb of shows that had been recorded because I left the TV on and even some Im not sure how they were recorded because I dont remember being on the channels they were on.
The thing is, I always thought that Sage automatically deleted these shows to free up disk space as needed.
These were not favorites or even recordings....so why dont they get deleted before I run out of disk space ?

mike/
Old 03-15-2004, 09:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Were they marked as watched?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

I dont think they are even showing up on the Sage Guide, these are just shows that I either browsed through or left the channel on and fell asleep. I did figure out why some shows were being recorded ....apparently even if you pop back to the menu, it keeps recording on the channel you were on, I had never noticed that before...not so good... so am I misunderstanding the feature ? I thought Sage would automatically delete in a specific hierarchy and those shows not being favorites or even selected to record should have been the first to go regardless of if I watched them.

mike/
Old 03-17-2004, 10:00 PM
SageTVaholic

LiveTV shows should be deleted first, so something seems odd there.

Which disk space management strategy do you have selected in Sage?
Old 03-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just thought about what I said.....of course it has to keep recording when you bounce out to the menu or key PVR functionality would be lost.....I dont know why that didnt occur to me... anyway the fact that it records a bunch of junk doesnt bother me....but it still seems like it should not allow itself to run out of disk doing that.

mike/
Old 03-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Is this v1.4? Some thoughts in no particular order...

Hmmm... will SageTV auto-delete shows in order to watch live TV? I think so, but if you have nothing marked as watched, perhaps it sees the new live tv as the lowest priority & thinks nothing else can be removed. However, I would think that even in that case, older live tv shows should be removed to make room for new live tv. Something sounds strange...

What happens when you completely exit SageTV? Does that get rid of show snippets & so on? In v1.4, those extra files are deleted when you exit, not just sleep.

Yes, once you start lie TV, SageTV will keep recording live tv until you put it to sleep.

Finally, in v1.4, I had problems where some shows that I deleted were removed from SageTV, but were never deleted from the disk, even after exiting. As a last resort, you could try manually deleting some of those files that you don't believe should be there. If SageTV thinks they are gone in its database, but they still exist, then it can never delete them.

- Andy
Old 03-17-2004, 11:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Mike,

You aren't using "Use X Gb" are you?
Old 03-18-2004, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
You aren't using "Use X Gb" are you?
Now _there's_ a good point... if it is set to use 100GB, but there really isn't 100GB available (including all the recordings)... oops.

- Andy
Old 03-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, 1.4
I had to let some more build up so I could test some stuff. they are not marked watched, they do show up in the Sage Recordings but they are not marked as favorites.
It seems like if it changes channel to record something then a bunch of stuff thats on after that program will get recorded in this manner. I have a lot of space but a 5gb+ per hr that would be about 75gb in 24hrs so clearly some stuff is being deleted I have the 'Leave Free" option on and all my recording disks are at maximum capacity now, so it seems to be working.

I guess its just once in a while that it chokes and doesnt delete those live tv files.
I tried exiting sage and then restarting, they are still there.

mike/