SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Sage User

Is this a regional thing? Or did I do my setup wrong.

Well heres my scenario:

Plugged in my cable directly (no box, just the line) to my Tuner card (Hauppauge 1600) in the NTSC jack. Scanned, got all my basic channels with their respective channel name (i.e., CTV, CNN) and program data.

HOWEVER, my cable provider actually gives out free HD channels to subscribers, so I decided to plug it in the ATSC jack and give it a go.

Now when I scan everything, all my channels from the ATSC jack are all in the format of DTV**.* (with *'s meaning any number). Furthermore, when I browse through the guide, they all show no data.

Is there any way to fix this?

Now after scanning in from the NTSC and switching over to the ATSC, when I click the NTSC original channels (i.e., CNN) they are all mapped to different channels now.

Please help! I've spent over 5+ hours of reading and still can't figure this out now. Thank you, appreciate you're help.

NOTE: I have gone through the FAQ and tried enabling/disabling a channel and stuff.

Thanks again (I'm with Mountain Cablevision in Hamilton, Ontario)
Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Administrator

You have to remap the digital channels as described in the SageTV PDF manual's "Remapping Stations for EPG data using ATSC or QAM Digital Tuners" section, starting on p. 164.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Sage User

Ahhh I was hoping I would've have to do that. So I have to remap all 100+ channels?

There is no way around it?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Administrator

You should only need to remap the stations for the digital (clear QAM) channels. But, if that is 100+ channels, then: yes.

Do not use the same lineup for analog and digital tuners because they will share the remappings & settings for which channels are enabled/disabled. If they are really the same lineup, in terms of the list of channels you can choose from, then use the option to copy the lineup first. If you've already used the same lineup, then use the option to clear all remappings in Channel Setup -> Edit Channel Lineup.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
You should only need to remap the stations for the digital (clear QAM) channels. But, if that is 100+ channels, then: yes.

Do not use the same lineup for analog and digital tuners because they will share the remappings & settings for which channels are enabled/disabled. If they are really the same lineup, in terms of the list of channels you can choose from, then use the option to copy the lineup first. If you've already used the same lineup, then use the option to clear all remappings in Channel Setup -> Edit Channel Lineup.

- Andy
Okay. Well originally I think they were combining lineups, so when I tuned to Channel 25 (It should be a sports channel), I got some weird other channel.

So I've decided to completely clear all remappings from the previous NTSC jack.

With no more channels in the channel setup area, I removed the source and started fresh with the coaxial plugged into the ATSC jack.

I choose settings correctly, ZipCode, provider, etc. The channels appear up in the guide.

Now when I preview, I get no signal.

However, when I do a scan, I get a bunch of DTV channels which are in fact supposed to be the channels already in the guide.

Any idea?

If it takes remapping thats fine, but I just dont get why I would basically have to remap everything from scratch.

Also, sorry for the same post in the other forum, I though I was going crazy and not submitting it properly
Old 04-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by intellx View Post
However, when I do a scan, I get a bunch of DTV channels which are in fact supposed to be the channels already in the guide.

Any idea?
This is for scanning for digital QAM channels on the cable feed, right? If so, then read the manual section I posted above. Digital channels need to be mapped to their correct stations.

BTW: Unless something is different in Canada, ATSC is for OTA digital channels & QAM is for digital cable.

If you are having this problem with the analog tuner & its lineup, then clear the remappings like I said above. If that doesn't help, then the easiest way to completely clear out all lineup settings is to remove sage.properties and its .autobackup copy while SageTV isn't running and reconfigure. You may want to consider doing that just to have a fresh starting point.

- Andy
Old 04-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Sage User

Quote:
This is for scanning for digital QAM channels on the cable feed, right? If so, then read the manual section I posted above. Digital channels need to be mapped to their correct stations.

BTW: Unless something is different in Canada, ATSC is for OTA digital channels & QAM is for digital cable.

If you are having this problem with the analog tuner & its lineup, then clear the remappings like I said above. If that doesn't help, then the easiest way to completely clear out all lineup settings is to remove sage.properties and its .autobackup copy while SageTV isn't running and reconfigure. You may want to consider doing that just to have a fresh starting point.

- Andy
Oh ok, I get it now. Darnit, so I need to remap all the digital channels!

Howcome the mapping is getting all switched up when I use the ATSC jack?

i.e., picking channel 3, and getting a channel thats supposed to be mapped to channel 17?

Also, I'm taking the analog input, and swapping it over the the ATSC input. If I somehow find a way to not get the mappings confused, could I possibly install a splitter right before it enters the Tuner card and have one line running into the analog input and the other into the digital?

Thanks for your help thusfar! Truly appreciated.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
could I possibly install a splitter right before it enters the Tuner card and have one line running into the analog input and the other into the digital?
Yes - I don't use the tuner you mentioned, but I believe its digital & analog tuners can both be used at the same time.

- Andy
Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Sage User

Great thanks. I have it fixed now. Mapped all of my channels last night (3 hours almost lol)

Is there a certain file for me to save all the mappings in case I happen to remove the source and lose my remapped channels?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Great thanks. I have it fixed now. Mapped all of my channels last night (3 hours almost lol)
I'm curious: there are really that many clear QAM channels on the digital tuner? Most people get only a few.

Quote:
Is there a certain file for me to save all the mappings in case I happen to remove the source and lose my remapped channels?
The remapping settings are in sage.properties; you should make sure to back up the properties files (settings) and wiz.bin (database).

- Andy
Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I'm curious: there are really that many clear QAM channels on the digital tuner? Most people get only a few.

- Andy
No, in fact I think I don't have any. Just my provider, they give out a bunch of free HD channels which I guess somehow don't translate to proper names for their channels?

Plus, my HP 1600 isn't the QAM compatible one. It's just that all the channels that scan in with the ATSC tuner come in as DTV**.*. Also, I'm going to return it for another model that hopefully is the QAM one soon. So I'll keep you updated
Quote:

The remapping settings are in sage.properties; you should make sure to back up the properties files (settings) and wiz.bin (database).

- Andy
Great, thanks again! I appreciate all the help you've provided me despite me probably giving you noobie/annoying problems!