SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Sage Icon

Movie Wall for default STV?

Is it possible?

Obviously it would have to be a completely separate screen that would need to be linked via Dynamic Custom Menus or Studio work... if possible...

My browser bookmark takes me to the Sage forum index, and under "last post", under customizations, I keep seeing the Movie Wall thread in the SageMC forum above... and it just got me curious.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Is it possible?

Obviously it would have to be a completely separate screen that would need to be linked via Dynamic Custom Menus or Studio work... if possible...

My browser bookmark takes me to the Sage forum index, and under "last post", under customizations, I keep seeing the Movie Wall thread in the SageMC forum above... and it just got me curious.
Why not run sagemc???

I am sure it is possible it may be possible for me to port it over but being that I don't use default interface I don't know.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Why not run sagemc???
1) WAF
2) I don't like the looks
3) WAF
4) I don't feel like switching up everything I have fiddled with for a year
5) WAF
#) WAF

...and WAF.
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:56 AM
SageTVaholic

I am shocked to hear your response. My WAF was nothing when using the default STV. She and I both absolutely hated and despised it.

But to each his own
Old 04-28-2009, 08:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Personally, I think the issue is comfort and effort. I could be mistaken, but I think most people who switch to SageMC take quite a bit of time to get things organized and displayed as close to their ideal as possible. The "default" SageMC certainly won't appeal to everyone (nothing ever does), but the customization is where it's at. I probably spent a good 2 months making the slightest tweaks to SageMC prior to changing over to it full-time. Knowing the family like I do, I had a pretty good idea of what direction to take the main menu and that seems to have worked quite well. The wife would kill me if I went back to the stock STV for longer than a day or so of troubleshooting.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
I am shocked to hear your response. My WAF was nothing when using the default STV. She and I both absolutely hated and despised it.

But to each his own
"Hated and despised"? Wow, you have a lot of emotional investment in your TV system!

Put simply, default STV is the closest you can come to Tivo (v1), from whence we came. She (and to some extent, me, too) wants simple, clean, and to have all the functions that she uses the most to be right there on the front page. I installed Dynamic Custom Menus for the express reason of being able to rearrange things so that it was even more that way, and get rid of things that we don't use (or move them to a sub-page). I even took off the little graphics that came with DCM, and turned off the disk space monitor and "next recording" line, so there is nothing but menu text on the screen. She has no use for slickness, or, as it's commonly referred to around here, "bling", in the UI. Our main menu is pretty much "Recordings", "TV Guide", "Upcoming Recordings", and "Schedule Recordings". Probably 85% of our use of SageTV revolves around these 4 choices. Then the main menu also has "DVD Library", "Media Center" (where I moved all links to online stuff, MP3s, Photos, Videos, MovieTimes, etc., etc.), and "Weather" (Sage's Weather forecast page and a link to the Weather Report Suite). That's about it.

I know that is incredibly boring to 99.99% of the people here, but as you said "to each their own". Of course, if we are going to make this a thread about preferences of UI appearance, we ought to move it to one of the bazillion threads on that topic under "General Discussion"...

Of course, I realize that everything I just said contradicts the fact that I like the look of Movie Wall and wouldn't mind having it... but, oh well.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Maybe we need a Default STV theme for SageMC... that way you can have the look of the default STV and still run the Movie Wall (as it stands I may have to pay someone to create a theme that looks like a standard bell/dish receiver before I can make the full transistion )
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 PM
SageTVaholic

sTUCKLESS are you not running sagemc? Surely
Old 04-28-2009, 01:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Maybe we need a Default STV theme for SageMC... that way you can have the look of the default STV and still run the Movie Wall (as it stands I may have to pay someone to create a theme that looks like a standard bell/dish receiver before I can make the full transistion )

Stuckess,

Just having the look doesn't cut it.... You would need to incorporate the Malore menus. Andy has done a great job with these... You can filter recordings any way you want them. The sageMC malore menus STVI is out dated. I too cannot get my wifey to change to SageMC... She cannot get away from the default with Malore and Dynamic Menus.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-28-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:16 PM
SageTVaholic

For me, SageMC runs slower on the extenders than the default.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Sage Icon

While my wife and I prefer the default STV (I import the malore menus into SageMC to keep her happy), SageMC is what we use; because of fanart.