SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

I dont think I ever mentioned at the same time. The previous versions of this addon never supported extenders at all. This version only works for sure on at most 2 devices.... the local server using "Exclusive mode" and one extender using "SYNCH" mode. I remember at least one other person who has tried using this version on extenders having the same or similar issue as you with locking up. It's hard to say why this is happening, but if you get it to work, you would be the first person to do it that I know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleboyd View Post
Michael: Is there something I've got wrong here? I am not trying to use multiple extenders at the same time. If I run this plug in on the HD100 and then stop playback and turn off the HD100 and go to the MVP.. the MVP is locked up as far as this plugin is concerned. And vise versa. That doesn't seem right. The previous incarnation of this plugin worked fine across multiple extenders - just not at the same time, and I totally get why that wouldn't be possible.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Sage User

Sagetv stops responding

Hello all.

I have installed the plugin, just to work on server (not on extenders).

It works fine, playing et.c., but when I click on "Now Playing" in Slim player in sage, then SageTV just stops responding.

I still hear the music, and can control it from my web browser (localhost:9000). I also can close sagetv, just its menus are not responding to either clicks or kbd.

Any ideas?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Next step:

Hi there, you can try upgrading your java to the latest version. Also, try downloading Softsqueeze (instructions a few posts above) and see if the Softsqueeze UI locks up in the same fashion...

Good luck,
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleyraki View Post
Hello all.

It works fine, playing et.c., but when I click on "Now Playing" in Slim player in sage, then SageTV just stops responding.

I still hear the music, and can control it from my web browser (localhost:9000). I also can close sagetv, just its menus are not responding to either clicks or kbd.

Any ideas?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 04-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

This STV Import is awesome, thanks for all the hard work.

I don't want to seem ungrateful, but is there any chance that a future version will be more integrated with SageTV? I'm afraid the one line menu, navigation system, and need to control the volume via the server web page are more than I can hope for my wife to master. Any changes that would make the SlimPlayer integrate more seamlessly with my SageMC would be very much appreciated. In fact, ideally I'd use it as a complete replacement for the SageTV music interface.

Thanks again!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:22 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm sorry, what you ask, can't be done. Slimplayer is just another client for Squeezebox Server. All clients use the same basic form of one line navigation; hence why most clients look the same; whether software or hardware based. I dont think you'll see this any more integrated into SageTV than it already is.

Me and my wife love using Slimplayer in the Living Room as well as the Media Room. Super easy to use with a regular sageTV HD200 remote control.. controlling the volume and mute with respective remote buttons, select favorite radio stations; and, other basic functions using the arrow keys and Select.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolaus View Post
This STV Import is awesome, thanks for all the hard work.

I don't want to seem ungrateful, but is there any chance that a future version will be more integrated with SageTV? I'm afraid the one line menu, navigation system, and need to control the volume via the server web page are more than I can hope for my wife to master. Any changes that would make the SlimPlayer integrate more seamlessly with my SageMC would be very much appreciated. In fact, ideally I'd use it as a complete replacement for the SageTV music interface.

Thanks again!

***RIP SageTV***
Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
I'm sorry, what you ask, can't be done. Slimplayer is just another client for Squeezebox Server. All clients use the same basic form of one line navigation; hence why most clients look the same; whether software or hardware based. I dont think you'll see this any more integrated into SageTV than it already is.

Me and my wife love using Slimplayer in the Living Room as well as the Media Room. Super easy to use with a regular sageTV HD200 remote control.. controlling the volume and mute with respective remote buttons, select favorite radio stations; and, other basic functions using the arrow keys and Select.
mkanet,

That's a sweet setup you've got!

A couple quick questions for clarification...

As far as volume goes, the mute button on my remote works as expected but when I hit vol up/down the volume bar appears but doesn't change anything. Is this something I have configured incorrectly?

For the single line menu, is it not possible to do something like SqueezePlay where it shows multiple menu options and allows things like checkboxes for genres in RandomMix?

Finally, for navigation, it would be awesome to have something like the following... allow Slim Devices display to be selected with OK button and have it grow to expand over other things on the screen. While expanded up/down/left/right could control the Slim Devices menu. Then, when you're done with the menu, the Back button could shrink the Slim Devices display back down and go back to normal Sage navigation. Would something like that be possible?

Please don't take any of these as criticisms because I really do think the import is awesome and very much appreciate all the work that obviously went into it. Just some suggestions that I know I'd enjoy!

Last edited by iolaus; 04-06-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks. As far as Slimplayer goes, it's based on the original version of the client. Slimplayer is just a "front end" for the Softsqueeze app; which is based off the original classic hardware client.

I'm definitely not the person who made Slimplayer possible. "Koelec" on the forums made this possible. I think he told me a while back that he didnt know of a way do the same thing for Squeezeplay that he did for Softsqueeze.

I'm pretty sure Koelec could add buttons that you would find on the Softsqueeze virtual remote control.

As for volume, I use one master volume to control the volume for everything that comes out of my SageTV clients' audio output. So, if the volume for TV goes up, so does the volume for SageTV and visa-vera. I'm not sure why you would want to control the in internal volume for slimplayer itself independantly from sageTV's other sounds. I always set the volume to 75% - 100% on the server; and forget about that setting.

Have fun,
Michael

Quote:
mkanet,

That's a sweet setup you've got!

A couple quick questions for clarification...

As far as volume goes, the mute button on my remote works as expected but when I hit vol up/down the volume bar appears but doesn't change anything. Is this something I have configured incorrectly?

For the single line menu, is it not possible to do something like SqueezePlay where it shows multiple menu options and allows things like checkboxes for genres in RandomMix?

Finally, for navigation, it would be awesome to have something like the following... allow Slim Devices display to be selected with OK button and have it grow to expand over other things on the screen. While expanded up/down/left/right could control the Slim Devices menu. Then, when you're done with the menu, the Back button could shrink the Slim Devices display back down and go back to normal Sage navigation. Would something like that be possible?

Please don't take any of these as criticisms because I really do think the import is awesome and very much appreciate all the work that obviously went into it. Just some suggestions that I know I'd enjoy!

***RIP SageTV***
Old 04-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Thanks. As far as Slimplayer goes, it's based on the original version of the client. Slimplayer is just a "front end" for the Softsqueeze app; which is based off the original classic hardware client.

I'm definitely not the person who made Slimplayer possible. "Koelec" on the forums made this possible. I think he told me a while back that he didnt know of a way do the same thing for Squeezeplay that he did for Softsqueeze.

I'm pretty sure Koelec could add buttons that you would find on the Softsqueeze virtual remote control.

As for volume, I use one master volume to control the volume for everything that comes out of my SageTV clients' audio output. So, if the volume for TV goes up, so does the volume for SageTV and visa-vera. I'm not sure why you would want to control the in internal volume for slimplayer itself independantly from sageTV's other sounds. I always set the volume to 75% - 100% on the server; and forget about that setting.

Have fun,
Michael
Michael,

Thanks for the info. The volume I'm having trouble with is the SageTV volume, the same one it sounds like you're using. When I try to adjust the Sage volume with my MCE remote while SlimPlayer is playing it doesn't work. While on the SlimPlayer screen I'll see the SageMC volume bar appear but it doesn't adjust at all, it is always stuck at 100%. The volume buttons on my remote control Sage volume as expected in TV, Video, and Music.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Hmmm.. I'm not sure if I can help. If you have mapped volume up, down, mute commands to your remote control just like any other commands; and, the remote control volume/mute buttons dont work "just" in Slimplayer... I have no idea, sorry. Slimplayer doesnt have anything that I know of that prevents sageTV volume/mute functions from working. Maybe, I'm missing something..

Quote:
Michael,

Thanks for the info. The volume I'm having trouble with is the SageTV volume, the same one it sounds like you're using. When I try to adjust the Sage volume with my MCE remote while SlimPlayer is playing it doesn't work. While on the SlimPlayer screen I'll see the SageMC volume bar appear but it doesn't adjust at all, it is always stuck at 100%. The volume buttons on my remote control Sage volume as expected in TV, Video, and Music.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 04-12-2010, 03:09 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by pleyraki
Hello all.

Any ideas?
Hi there, you can try upgrading your java to the latest version. Also, try downloading Softsqueeze (instructions a few posts above) and see if the Softsqueeze UI locks up in the same fashion...

Good luck,
Michael
Thanks for your reply. I have upgraded Java to no avail. Softsqueeze does not hang. The problem lies in SlimPlayer's advanced display capabilities: If, for example, you select "Navigate", everything works OK. Music plays OK etc. But if you select "Now Playing" or "Yahoo News" (and only for those), then SageTV stops responding, though the music continues playing. You can only close SaveTV's window. The same things happens even with no music playing: Pressing "Now Playing" causes Sagetv to stop responding.

Any ideas? How would one completely uninstall Slimplayer for SageTV in order to install again? Thanks.

Last edited by pleyraki; 04-12-2010 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-12-2010, 05:58 AM
SageTVaholic

It sounds like you might have slimplayer installed twice (on top of itself). Try loading a clean STV (either defaults STV or sageMC) and import slimplayer once without any other sageTV imports/addons loaded... then try Slimplayer again.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I have upgraded Java to no avail. Softsqueeze does not hang. The problem lies in SlimPlayer's advanced display capabilities: If, for example, you select "Navigate", everything works OK. Music plays OK etc. But if you select "Now Playing" or "Yahoo News" (and only for those), then SageTV stops responding, though the music continues playing. You can only close SaveTV's window. The same things happens even with no music playing: Pressing "Now Playing" causes Sagetv to stop responding.

Any ideas? How would one completely uninstall Slimplayer for SageTV in order to install again? Thanks.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
It sounds like you might have slimplayer installed twice (on top of itself). Try loading a clean STV (either defaults STV or sageMC) and import slimplayer once without any other sageTV imports/addons loaded... then try Slimplayer again.
probably something wrong with webharvest, which is used for scraping yahoo music website. turn on sagetv debug logging and inspect log file.
- chris
Old 04-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Love the plugin as well, have been using it in SageMC for a few months, but I have one fairly serious problem that I have only just recently isolated.

I have Squeezebox server 7.4.2 (although this has happened with earlier versions). I have the latest slimserver plugin I can find (2.1.1a). I am using the software loopback with my 3 HD-200s which for me works like a charm.

I only use this for listening to internet radio available in Canada, and also the Not So Sirius plugin for Squeezebox server that lets me listen to Sirius Canada through the slimserver plugin.

Anyways, everytime I restarted my sage server, I noticed there was a ton of disk activity for 30 mins to 1 hour. During that time, couldn't use the plugin, and it took almost that long for even the web interface for Squeezebox server to work.

What I have found out, is that while I have SageTV up and running (and hence I assume Softsqueeze running in the background as a part of the Slimserver plugin), every few seconds, cache files are written to:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Squeezebox\Cache\FileCache

Since the server stays on 24x7, this directory grows enormous. After a couple weeks, my FileCache directory holds 250,000 files that total 10 GB in size . Files are not added to the Filecache directory when Sage (and Slimplayer) are shutdown. So basically, I have to remember to every so often dump this directory.

Was wondering if Chris or anyone else might have some thoughts on how to fix this? It has something to do with softsqueeze from what I can see. Posted over on the Slim forums about this, but no responses.

Tnx!
Server: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel i5, 8 GB, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB for OS, WD Black 4 TB + WD Black 1 TB for Recordings, 36TB Synology 1019+ for DVD/Bluray Rips, Music, Home Movies, etc., SageTV Server 64 Bit Ver 9.2.6.976, HDPVR x 2, Bell TV 6131 Receiver x 2, USB-UIRT with 56 KHz Receiver

Clients: PC Client x 2, HD-300 x 2 (1 Using Netgear MoCA Coax Bridges), SageTV Miniclient on NVidia Shield x 3
Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
Love the plugin as well, have been using it in SageMC for a few months, but I have one fairly serious problem that I have only just recently isolated.

I have Squeezebox server 7.4.2 (although this has happened with earlier versions). I have the latest slimserver plugin I can find (2.1.1a). I am using the software loopback with my 3 HD-200s which for me works like a charm.

I only use this for listening to internet radio available in Canada, and also the Not So Sirius plugin for Squeezebox server that lets me listen to Sirius Canada through the slimserver plugin.

Anyways, everytime I restarted my sage server, I noticed there was a ton of disk activity for 30 mins to 1 hour. During that time, couldn't use the plugin, and it took almost that long for even the web interface for Squeezebox server to work.

What I have found out, is that while I have SageTV up and running (and hence I assume Softsqueeze running in the background as a part of the Slimserver plugin), every few seconds, cache files are written to:

Since the server stays on 24x7, this directory grows enormous. After a couple weeks, my FileCache directory holds 250,000 files that total 10 GB in size . Files are not added to the Filecache directory when Sage (and Slimplayer) are shutdown. So basically, I have to remember to every so often dump this directory.

Was wondering if Chris or anyone else might have some thoughts on how to fix this? It has something to do with softsqueeze from what I can see. Posted over on the Slim forums about this, but no responses.

Tnx!
I looked into this. Learned that Squeezecenter only purges the FileCache once in an hour when players are off. Since simplayer (running embedded in SagevTV) is never powered down, there you have the cause of the ever growing cache.

I will see if I can add a no activity timer to simplayer, which shuts down the player after a specified period of inactivity.

- Chris
Old 04-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks Chris, I appreciate it... Although I must admit I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been noticed or raised by others as an issue...

Tnx again
Server: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel i5, 8 GB, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB for OS, WD Black 4 TB + WD Black 1 TB for Recordings, 36TB Synology 1019+ for DVD/Bluray Rips, Music, Home Movies, etc., SageTV Server 64 Bit Ver 9.2.6.976, HDPVR x 2, Bell TV 6131 Receiver x 2, USB-UIRT with 56 KHz Receiver

Clients: PC Client x 2, HD-300 x 2 (1 Using Netgear MoCA Coax Bridges), SageTV Miniclient on NVidia Shield x 3
Old 04-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Sage User

Quote:

Hello and thanks for your replies (following at the end).

I have not yet solved the problem... But maybe this could help:

After I upgraded Java as suggested, I had to copy other jar files (e.g. Xerces.jar for EPG guide) in new Java's directory. Maybe I should do something like that for Slim Player? Which jars does Slim Player use? Does this give you any ideas?

Otherwise I will have to assume that it is just my pc that is much slower than needed :-(

Thanks.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by koelec View Post
probably something wrong with webharvest, which is used for scraping yahoo music website. turn on sagetv debug logging and inspect log file.
- chris
Old 04-23-2010, 08:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Steve, I have the same problem. When this folder grows to big in size, slimplayer doesnt work too well. This looks like either a softsqueeze bug or Squeezebox. I've had this problem as long as I can remember. I have "directory watcher" app installed on my PC which cleans up the mess left behind from sageTV, playon, squeezebox, and several other apps that for some reason or another can't clean up after themselves with various temp/cache files. Alternatively, a simple batch file scheduled every night to delete these files would also do the job too. In my batch file, not only do these files get deleted, but it also restarts the squeezebox server at that time too (3:00am). Since fixing softsqueeze related issues is extremely low-priority for the squeezebox software developers, I have a feeling we will just have to use something like this to address the issue. If you figure out a better way to handle this issue, please post here!

Thanks,
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post

Tnx!

***RIP SageTV***
Old 04-24-2010, 04:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Hello all.

Any ideas?
Problem is with latest v2.1.1 stvi file for default STVI. For now use previous stvi v2.1 filem, which will work with v2.1.1 slimplayer jar files. You will only miss the ability to switch off the news ticker.

- Chris
Old 04-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

new maintenance version 2.1.2 available

Just uploaded new maintenance version of this plugin: version 2.1.2:
  • new power button
  • includes fix for problems accessing Now Playing and Artist News menus in default STV version.

The new power button gives you a chance to manually power on or power off the slim player.
Use this in combination with the 3rd-party SqueezeCenter plugin PowerSave to automatically power off players when they are idle for a selectable period.
SqueezeCenter will only purge its filecache properly when all players are powered off.

cheers
- Chris

Last edited by koelec; 04-28-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:14 AM
Sage User

Thumbs up YES!

Thank you, Now it works like a charm! (I mean the "fix for problems accessing Now Playing and Artist News menus in default STV version").

Quote:
Originally Posted by koelec View Post
Just uploaded new maintenance version of this plugin: version 2.1.2:
  • new power button
  • includes fix for problems accessing Now Playing and Artist News menus in default STV version.

The new power button gives you a chance to manually power on or power off the slim player.
Use this in combination with the 3rd-party SqueezeCenter plugin PowerSave to automatically power off players when the are idle for a selectable period.
SqueezeCenter will only its filecache properly when all players are powered off.

cheers
- Chris

Tags
deezer, lastfm, pandora, podcasts, shoutcast, sirius, slacker