SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Sage Expert

Does a Macbook work ok as a Sage extender? Play HD-PVR files ok?

My wife wants a Macbook. Probably the new 13" screen white one. I see it has a Nvidia 9400G chip in there, so it has hardware acceleration. I'm just not sure of the the state of codecs on the Mac, and if HD-PVR recorded files would play back ok.

It won't be primarily used as an extender, but would be nice if I could fire up Sage client and watch TV throughout the house (hopefully on the wireless N, although that would probably have glitches regardless).

Anyone have experience with a Macbook and Sage? Thanks.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
My wife wants a Macbook. Probably the new 13" screen white one. I see it has a Nvidia 9400G chip in there, so it has hardware acceleration. I'm just not sure of the the state of codecs on the Mac, and if HD-PVR recorded files would play back ok.
Out of curiosity, does the hardware acceleration work? What players have you found have working hardware acceleration for mpeg2 video?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Sage Icon

Technically the Mac book would be acting as a SageTV Client, not an extender. Sage sells a SageTV Client for Macintosh license for $30 which would definitely be required to make it work. But your question is more about the MacBook hardware which I don't know enough about to answer the question.

Sorry if you already knew this (I'm not trying to be a jerk about it), I really just wanted to clarify the terms for anyone else that might stumble across this thread in the future.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 05-26-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Sage Expert

Yes, I suppose that is technically correct, although SageClient to me is just an extender on a PC. They do the same thing. No offense taken though.

Not sure I understand the question on the MPEG2 acceleration from other poster. I don't have a Mac yet, so I'm pretty much clueless on video playback/acceleration there.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

If you are getting the MAC anyway, I would just use the free trial period to test.
My experience with this on a PC was that converting HDPRV H.264 files took more horsepower than I imagined. I have since went with extenders.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Sage Expert

Actually it will influence my decision whether to get the Mac or a PC notebook.

I said my wife wants a Mac, but really she's only mentioned it once (her birthday is coming up) and I could just as easily get her a PC notebook.