SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Sage User

HD200 - Can't turn off subtitles on vob / DVD Rip - FIXED

Using latest SageTV Server Software and latest HD200 firmware and I can't turn off subtitles on my ripped DVDs. Menu shows that subtitles are off but they still show up on the screen. Files were ripped preserving the vob format / file structure and done using a variety of programs as they were done over time (DVDFab, DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, etc.). All have the same issue. Subtitles don't show up when playing a DVD on the PC using the Sage software but do when using the HD200 remotely. I have read every manual, searched the forum and Google alike with no success. HELP! Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Sage Icon

ive seen this occasionally (i believe after either a hd200 update or server update)... turning the subtitles on (actually selecting one in the menu) and then off again fixes the issue for me...
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply. I had tried that earlier several times and it didn't work. Fmi (for my information!), are you able to turn subtitles on and off with a similar setup to me (meaning ripped dvd in vob format using a HD200)?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Sage Icon

yup..
my folder structure: \\svr\dvd\MOVIE_NAME\VIDEO TS\vob files

Main movie only ripped with DVDFab preserving the folder structure

my steps to fix the issue:
  1. options while watchiing a movie
  2. Select Subtitle Language
  3. Select a subtitle and subtitle
  4. (Maybe close the menu)
  5. Go back to the Subtitle Language menu
  6. Select No Subtitles
I think possibly i may have selected a different audio track and then go back to the main audio track... but im not sure about that
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Sage User

razrsharpe,
Again, thanks for the quick reply. I tried your method on multiple dvd rips with no success but interestingly, it worked with at least 1 of my dvds. I should clarify that I rip as previously mentioned but I rip movie only with the DD5.1 Audio Track and English subtitle (only 1 subtitle). The movie that your method worked on I had multiple subtitles for rather than the normal 1 subtitle selection. Not sure why that matters. I was hoping that once off on that movie that the setting would translate to other movies but it didn't. Therefore, I am still stuck with the same problem. I really need to get this fixed or I can't see me keeping this extender! It might be back to XBMC...
Old 06-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrigsr View Post
I should clarify that I rip as previously mentioned but I rip movie only with the DD5.1 Audio Track and English subtitle (only 1 subtitle).
most of my movies are ripped like this too... except where there is a ac3 and dts main soundtrack, then i include both... i usually only leave the english subtitle.. but im not 100% consistent about it

Quote:
The movie that your method worked on I had multiple subtitles for rather than the normal 1 subtitle selection. Not sure why that matters. I was hoping that once off on that movie that the setting would translate to other movies but it didn't.
mmm... if i remember correctly, that is what worked for me... weird

quick question... how is the hd200 cnnected to the reciever? If you are using spdif or hdmi for the audio.. one thing you may want to try is to turn up the volume on the hd200 (i know it shouldnt matter since the hd200 is bitstreaming and subtitles and audio are not strictly related.... BUT) This fixed an audio playback issue i was having with mp3s and avis with stereo audio and dvd's (with dd 5.1 soundtracks) not playing with any audio after trying to watch something with stereo audio. Anyway if you're like me and never use the volume command on the HD200 try turning it up.. it ships with it defaulted to 0. This frustrated me for months until i finally submitted a trouble ticket to sage and they were able to help me out.

Quote:
I really need to get this fixed or I can't see me keeping this extender! It might be back to XBMC...
Agreed it definitely needs to be fixed, but lets not see you dump sage yet... if you can't figure it out submit a support ticket to sage. They are usually very good and responsive helping users figure out issues/bugs

http://www.sagetv.com/bugs.html
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Sage User

No luck on the volume trick. Thanks for the link to the bug report. I will get that filled out.

If you or anyone else has any other possible ideas then I am willing to test them out.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Sage User

I submitted a bug request last night. I didn't receive an email or anything confirming the submission. Is this normal? How long until I receive some notice of activity?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Sage Icon

ya thats normal... i never receive a confirmation and usually get an email back sometime in the afternoon after i submit a bug request or the next afternoon at the latest
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Sage User

I received an email asking for clarification of whether the videos were stand alone vob files or in a VIDEO_TS Folder structure (the answer is the latter). Also asked for confirmation of server version (6.5.17.213) and HD200 firmware version (20081230 0)
Old 06-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Sage User

The SageTV Support Team addressed and resolved the bug via the bug submission process. The issue was that I was using Beta software but non-beat firmware on teh HD200. I upgraded the HD200 to the beta firmware and am now able to turn on/off subtitles and closed captions with no issues. I had to go into the HD200 and not connect to the server, go into the system update page to update firmware (where it said I had the latest firmware) and then enter '2382' on the remote control and then it showed that a beta firmware was available. Then, I went through the normal firmware upgrade process and it all worked.

EXCELLENT support that was quick. The team resolved my issue within 2 emails over several days (my delay as I only check my email at home once a day). Anyway, I appreciate companies that support their products.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Sage Icon

ahhh yes... the current official (123108) firmware doesnt support subtitles... in the first post when you said latest i assumed you meant latest beta firmware....

anyway...glad they were able to help you out... and yes sage support is pretty fantastic. ..
Check out TVExplorer