SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
Just double checking, though I think I know the answer.. one of my HD100's just began giving off a very high pitched sound.. whether off or on. The unit still works, but that sound is calling dogs from several blocks away into my yard (yeah, not really.. but it is very dog whistle-like).. Does this sound like capacitors that are near failure?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, that is one of the symptoms.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Sage Icon

I replaced the capacitors and the remote works perfectly now. The front panel still doesn't work, but at least it can be controlled with a remote. The funny thing is that the old capacitors look picture perfect so I never would have guessed there was anything wrong if it weren't for this thread. I've still got two more HD100s to go, but now that I've got all the supplies I'll just wait for them to go bad before replacing their capacitors.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Just double checking, though I think I know the answer.. one of my HD100's just began giving off a very high pitched sound.. whether off or on. The unit still works, but that sound is calling dogs from several blocks away into my yard (yeah, not really.. but it is very dog whistle-like).. Does this sound like capacitors that are near failure?

Thanks in advance!
Yes. Bring out the soldering iron and heat it up.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
I was looking at a desoldering iron from Radio Shack (pn 64-2060). It is a 45 watt iron. Would that be too much to use on this board?
That's what I used and had no problems. I bought mine 15+ years ago, but it's exactly same including the part #--must not be a product that gets refreshed . If I didn't have this in the basement, I'd probably try the desoldering braid since it's only $4. I'm no soldering expert, but it looks pretty easy to use, (found some tutorials I think on YouTube).
Old 01-02-2010, 04:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Yup. Time for a trip to RadioShack.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

I just succesfully repaired my HD100 and thought I would share my method.
This is the first time I have ever done any soldering on a circuit board so maybe I was just lucky....

I bought these capacitors on ebay. I was thinking about going to radio shack and buying a proper soldering iron and some solder wick for removing the solder when I found this web page. It describes using a Weller soldering gun, which I already had and just heating up the solder for a couple seconds and pulling out the parts.

Well, I figured I've got nothing to lose so here's how I made the repair.
I bent each capacitor over to one side and wedged a small screwdriver under it. Then with the board upside down I applied the soldering gun to each lead for a few seconds while applying pressure with the screwdriver. A helper would have been great, but it really wasn't too hard. I could feel the solder let go on each lead and the capacitors popped out.

Four out of six holes were clear enough to insert the new capacitors. The other two I cleaned out by inserting a sewing needle from the top side with the board held upside down and applied a little heat to the solder blocking the hole. This allowed the needle to push through. After a few seconds the solder rehardened and I pulled the needle out leaving a nice round hole.

I inserted all 3 caps and heated the joints again for a few seconds and applied a bit of new solder. I trimmed off the leads with my fingernail clippers and I was done. I reinstalled the board and surprise. It Works!!!!

Again, I'm not recommending such a redneck soldering method to anyone else, but it did work for me.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeezer View Post
Again, I'm not recommending such a redneck soldering method to anyone else, but it did work for me.
It's funny you should say that, as the whole time I was reading your post I was thinking "Red Green Show"....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 01-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

For the fatality records one of my HD100's failed yesterday so I replaced all the caps in both of my HD100's.

Apart from the lack of tolerance margin in the original capacitors the build quality of the HD100 makes the job pretty painless. There is plenty of copper on the pads so the risk of lifting them is relatively slight compared to most PCB's around these days (thankfully they aren't on the motherboard)

Last edited by Doubletop; 01-09-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Sage User

Add another HD-100 to the death list, bought in june of 2008.

Goodbye sage, hello win7mce.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboy22382 View Post
Goodbye sage, hello win7mce.
Is buying an XBox cheaper than fixing the HD-100?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well if he already has an xbox...

But that wouldn't be a replacement for me. I want a dedicated dvr-style interface right away, not have to wade through the horrid xna-or-whatever-it's-called that they call an interface.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Add another dead soldier to the list.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Count one more down and then back up after a 3 cap fix.

I may do a preemptive strike on the other HD100 before it goes.

-pez

...and thank all of you who posted here helping with the cheap fix.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Sage Icon

Add another one. Mine went out Jan 1 during the Rose Bowl Talk about bad timing. It lasted almost two years (2/27/08). It was behaving very strangely - turning off, not responding to the remote, etc - for a short time until it finally quit.

I might try to fix it at some point but decided it was time to break down and get the HD200.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiier__Dude View Post
Add another dead soldier to the list.
Mine is now repaired but I fixed it with a spare power brick I had laying around:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...54&postcount=7
Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Fortunatly my unit failed a few months back and Sage repaired it for me and my only cost was the shipping.

The units PS failed again the other night, the same three caps, and it appears as rather than repairing it the first time they installed a new PS.

I have ordered the correct caps, but with a higher temp rating, I got them off of Amazon via Parts Express, in the meantime no TV We have an MVP in the bedroom but Mama wants her Charlies Angles DVD's to be viewed in the Living Room!

So I took a spare PC power supply I had laying around and hooked the 5V connection up to the PCB inside the HD100 and then put a HD on the other side so it has a load. Working fine so far and boy will Mama be happy tonight
"Life is a banquet and most people are starving to death!"
Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Sage User

My second HD100 died today. I'll get the parts and see and if I can fix it this weekend.

Clients:
2 HD100 Extenders
1 HD200 Extender
SageTV Client
Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

FYI: My HD100 died 1 week ago. I was looking to do the DC Power Transformer bypass, but couldn't find a compatible "wall wart" in the house.

I then looked more carefully at the capacitor replacement instructions and decided to do that. It was super easy, cheap, and my HD 100 is working great now. I recommend it to anyone who has basic soldering skills.

Thanks to all of your posts. I feel very satisfied in fixing it myself and saving some dough.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Another HD100 PS repair

I just finished repairing my HD100 today. Same problems as everyone else 3 bad caps. I found some 1000uf /10v caps in my spare parts bin. they were a little bigger in overall size but just fit were the old ones were. Not sure if the size means anything or not. I would have used some higher voltage ones if I had them but didn't so I hope these last awhile.
Dave.
Seasonic S-12 380w, NEC 3520a Onboard SoundStorm S/PDIF out
WD-Caviar 120GB IDE (System) Seagate (3) Baracuda 250GB sata (Pooled)
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 01-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Add another one to the list, I've been noticing the laggy remote issues for a little while now and was just blowing it off as weak batterys, my youngest walked by the entertainment center tonight and said "Dad the sage is giving off a really high pitched whine"

Off to rat shack this week for me too.