SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'd rather demo SageTV 2.0 than the current version...

Possible? I see great things (and hear them as well) about 2.0, and preferably, I'd rather demo the 2.0 version to see if I like that. If I can only demo 1.x then my choice would nod to BeyondTV but I think Sage's 2.0 software is a lot better... I just need to use it to find out for sure.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Currently, you have to be a registered v1.4 user before you can use the v2 beta. I would expect that there would be a trial version of v2 when it is out of beta & officially released.

- Andy
Old 03-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to TunaBoo Send a message via AIM to TunaBoo Send a message via Yahoo to TunaBoo
Just get Sage, its mucho cool.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:39 AM
Sage User

Re: I'd rather demo SageTV 2.0 than the current version...

Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
Possible? I see great things (and hear them as well) about 2.0, and preferably, I'd rather demo the 2.0 version to see if I like that. If I can only demo 1.x then my choice would nod to BeyondTV but I think Sage's 2.0 software is a lot better... I just need to use it to find out for sure.

Thanks!
im in the same position with sage v2 looking so different to v1.4 i will want to thry it before buying, but you cant really expect a trial of a beta version to be released to the public, this will happen once it moves out of beta
Old 03-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Sage Expert

Re: Re: I'd rather demo SageTV 2.0 than the current version...

Quote:
Originally posted by m1ketuck
im in the same position with sage v2 looking so different to v1.4 i will want to thry it before buying, but you cant really expect a trial of a beta version to be released to the public, this will happen once it moves out of beta
I think that version 1.4 will give you the basics enough to make the call. I've tried Showshifter, BTV, Sage, and the ATI software that came with the 8500.

BTV had the slickest interface, but Sage clearly had the best picture, and believe me that will be right at the top of your list. As someone here said a while ago, you don't watch the interface!

I tried BTV for version 3.2 and 3.3. Unfortunately(or fortunately depending on your POV), 3.4 actually lost stability. The channel channel periodically failed, unless you left livetv and when back to the main menu. They also had some stuttering issues.

Now, these may have been fixed, but at that time, the fact that the upgrade caused problems for what needs to be a stable app concerned me.

Sage 2 has added some great new GUI features and because of the decoder I'm using and Sage 2.0's color calibration, I'm getting a picture *better* than the standard signal.

Try 1.4. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:44 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I am a registered 1.4 user. How do I get the 2.0 preview version so prominently displayed on the main Sage.TV page?
Old 03-28-2004, 05:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Click on the so prominently displayed text.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:52 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Don't I feel stupid.... but just a little.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:37 AM
Sage User

Quote:

Thanks!
I'm currently evaluating BeyondTV and people have posted in other forums that they think the quality in Sage 2.0 may be better, and that it has many new comparable features. So I went ahead and downloaded & installed the whole package last night, and tried to install it. Now I find out I can't use it and need a license key. I just don't see the point in hyping a product so much when in reality it doesn't even exist to the general public.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Most of the hype is comming from users, Frey has been relatively quiet in regards to 2.0 except for the one interview and the preview page. 2.0 is such a big change over 1.4 that supporting demo users as well as registered users probably would have overwhelmed them.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:53 PM
SageTVaholic

And keep in mind you're probably evaluating BTV 3.4.x. The new version with the new features, BTV 3.5 is only available to a few select long-time beta testers. And after that it is available to the beta group before it is available to the public. Once Sage 2.0 is released the beta will be available to the public. My suggestion is to download 1.4 so that you understand how it works, what decoders you have and they work with it. The basics are still there in 2.0 wrapped in a different GUI that's for the better. And you'll probaby see the picture quality is better in Sage 1.4 than in BTV 3.4 so you can compare right now.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo

Quote:
I see great things (and hear them as well) about 2.0, and preferably, I'd rather demo the 2.0 version to see if I like that. If I can only demo 1.x then my choice would nod to BeyondTV but I think Sage's 2.0 software is a lot better... I just need to use it to find out for sure.
Based on my own testing, if you are trying to build an HTPC, transparent from viewers that it is in fact an HTPC, then Sage is the answer. If you are watching TV on your computer and still use the thing AS a computer, and like to see a really clean interface, then go for BTV.

In my opinion, Sage's client/server architecture is where it's at. If you're not recording on a dedicated back-room server and watching on a stripped-down client, you're missing it. The only software that does that right now is Sage...and it does it VERY well.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:38 PM
Sage Expert

It would be nice though to be able to test your chipset for compatibility with a PVR-350 (a huge drive for 2.0)....very touchy for problem free use.

Deadbolt