SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

HD200: Only 7 Watts?

Using a gadget called "Kill-A-Watt" (a little power meter for checking how much electric an applicance uses) I got 7 watts for an HD200 while it was rendering a show. 5-6 watts when it was supposedly turned off (red LED no longer lit, but power brick plugged in).

Is this even possible? The LED night light in our bathroom takes 3 watts.

My initial reaction is that Yours Truly is doing something dumb.

Pretty good if it's for real.
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna
Old 07-22-2009, 07:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
Using a gadget called "Kill-A-Watt" (a little power meter for checking how much electric an applicance uses) I got 7 watts for an HD200 while it was rendering a show. 5-6 watts when it was supposedly turned off (red LED no longer lit, but power brick plugged in).

Is this even possible? The LED night light in our bathroom takes 3 watts.

My initial reaction is that Yours Truly is doing something dumb.

Pretty good if it's for real.
It's for real. Other people have measured it and have come up with the same numbers.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Sage Icon

This got me curious so I tested with my HD200 with my killawatt. I got basically the same results. Although, I peaked at a whopping 8 watts for an HD recording!

I’ve been meaning to check the numbers for sometime. I suspected they were going to be low, but I wasn’t expecting 6-8 watts. That’s great.

Now I just have to get my server to sip and not guzzle.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:18 PM
SageTVaholic

I get 5 - 8 watts as measured by Kill-a-Watt. Yes it's amazing and yes it is yet another reason to use extenders instead of computers in a multi-room setup.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:30 PM
SageTVaholic

This is exactly the reason I retired my client PC in the living room and switched to the HD200. This was last spring when our electricity rates were sky rocketing (they finally topped out at $.43/kWh).

Aloha,
Mike
Old 07-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Sage Expert

Yep, I turned off two pc clients and replaced them with HD200's.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:45 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrems View Post
Now I just have to get my server to sip and not guzzle.
That's where a NAS comes in handy. I've been using a Thecus 4100 with 4 x 1.5 tb green drives, and have been peaking at about 40 watts. When idling, it's sucking up only about 15-20. The whole rig uses less electricity than a low-watt light bulb!

We have an old DVD recorder (second generation) that doesn't do much better...
Old 07-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_ac View Post
That's where a NAS comes in handy. I've been using a Thecus 4100 with 4 x 1.5 tb green drives, and have been peaking at about 40 watts. When idling, it's sucking up only about 15-20. The whole rig uses less electricity than a low-watt light bulb!
Could somebody elaborate on that?

From context I'm guessing that "NAS" is some kind of server-type device that serves up files.

But don't you still need a WHS box or other PC to run the Sage server?

I just measured my WHS box plus all routers an other devices (i.e. I plugged the UPS into the Kill-A-Watt) and the whole setup was pulling 153 watts with 4 1-TB drives and minimal activity.

How does that stack up with others?
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.

Last edited by PeteCress; 07-23-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:13 AM
SageTVaholic

NAS=Network Attached Storage. Think of a box with some drives plugged into the network. A small kernel OS running that will basically present the drives as shares over the network. You would still need sonmething to run SageTV server. (Another plus for running WHS)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 AM
SageTVaholic

And, I'm willing to bet there is no savings on running the drives in a separate NAS as opposed to running the same drives in the actual server.. all you get with the NAS route is lower performance.

Also, I believe most NAS implementations are not very good at turning the drives off when not in use.. especially RAID based NAS.

assume 4 drives, with up to 4 simultaneous recordings...

# of record -- in server, individual --- in server, RAID ---- NAS
0 recordings --- 0 drives spinning --- 0 drives spinning --- 4 drives spinning
1 recording ---- 1 drive spinning --- 4 drives spinning --- 4 drives spinning
2 recordings --- 2 drives spinning --- 4 drives spinning --- 4 drives spinning
3 recordings --- 3 drives spinning --- 4 drives spinning --- 4 drives spinning
4 recordings --- 4 drives spinning --- 4 drives spinning --- 4 drives spinning

The only point I see to going NAS is if you need to access teh storage, while the sage pc is shut down/sleeping...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room

Last edited by Fuzzy; 07-23-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Sage User

The NAS definitely has advantages. We have our NAS connected directly to an HD-200 (typically standalone mode) on one gigabit LAN, and to our PC on another gigabit LAN.

When the PC is up, we can transfer files, use the PC as a media server, etc, but the cost is high. Even HTPCs use a lot of juice. The motherboard alone can consume 3x the power of our entire NAS, even with all four drives spinning. Throw in a video card, sound card, memory, CPU, etc, and the savings is really palpable.

The HD-200 is working in standalone mode for us, because we have u-verse handling the rest. When the Hulu connectivity improves, we'll revisit that approach. But for now, we only have the NAS and u-verse running around the clock. The HD-200 is actually powered down much of the time (because of instability otherwise).

The NAS is much more efficient at managing the drives than a PC. It's a specialized appliance that has very intelligent RAID hardware, a proper backplane, additional data buffering, and better thermals (very low heat generation). It spins the drives up & down much more efficiently than my PC can (and I have a high-end custom PC), meaning that it really idles, and doesn't sit there supporting 200 windows daemons (ok, I'm exaggerating a bit). The gist of it is, the actual cost of keeping the drives up is measurably lower.

A NAS often can serve as a FTP server or bit torrent client, if that matters to you. It can give you a nice layer of protection from the outside world. We currently don't use either. We do use its DNS server capabilities, though, to isolate its second LAN from the U-verse network.

Bonuses: true hot-swap and RAID 6 support (any 2 drives can fail simultaneously w/o data loss, plus more usable storage space than RAID 10 or 0+1).

The disadvantages of a NAS are that you can't put in expansion cards or run windows software on it. We can run a few linux applications, but very few at that. One of those is a simple media server, but the HD-200 is better suited for it, so we have the media server shut off. Our TV is dlna compliant, so the media server does work with it, but it is clunky and awkward.

Ours is little more than a low-power, high-performance data storage device. For $400, it pays for itself in the course of a year on power bills alone.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Sage User

Correction: I just did the math, and based on the wattage differences, the yearly power cost of our set up is about $23, versus $215 if we left our PC up around the clock. So, it would take 2 years to recover the energy cost, not just one.

On the other hand, our A/C doesn't have to kick in to cool the room holding the server, whereas the PC generates a LOT of additional heating... Maybe the cost savings is much more than $200 per year...
Old 07-23-2009, 12:40 PM
SageTVaholic

The cooling aspect is one thing to think about, but not to the degree you might be thinking. a SEER 12 AC unit (most newer energy efficient models) uses about 1 Watt of electricity to move 12 BTU/hr. 12 BTU/hr is the heat generated by 3.5 Watts... so, in the hot seasons, for every 3.5 watts of energy used in a consumer electronics device in the home (which is all eventually turned to heat), it actually uses 4.5 watts of electricity..

Conversely, if you are in a cold season, and especially if you are already using electric as your heat source, the computers are effectively free to run.. every watt used by the pc is heat added to the house, and works out to a watt the heater doesn't have to generate.

Also mike, your NAS saves you energy because you don't NEED the sage computer running to use your extender, as you use it in standalone mode.. for this, of course a NAS makes sense... hoever, if you are using an extended in normal extender mode, the server has to be up and running, so you might as well put the drives there.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Sage User

I definitely wasn't intending to sound like I was against an HTPC setup. I was just replying to the questions about why one would choose a NAS.

When the mini ITX 785G boards and X-25 drives start dropping in price, I'll probably build a low-power, near-silent HTPC for the next go. Then, I can have the best of both worlds.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_ac View Post
...a low-power, near-silent HTPC
FWIW, I just yanked the video card out of my WHS box.

Now the total draw (PC, routers, tuners, you name it...) of the entire rig is 125 watts - down from 150 - and that's with 4 T-bytes in the form of 1-gig WD greens. That means the PC itself is only drawing 75 watts.

As soon as UPS comes through with the SATA card I ordered yesterday, I'm going to hang said card and four more greens on it.... then we'll see how much it all draws.

Around here (SE Penna, .18/KwHr) 150 watts comes out at
(150*24*365)/12 or about $20 per month.

Drop the KwHr rate to fifteen cents and it's about sixteen dollars per month for the whole rig.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have WHS running with about 6 drives. Non are "green". 1 320, 3 500g and 2 1tb drives, an additional Network card, and an older 6600gt video card.

For the "accessories" I have 2 HDHR's, a switch for HDHR, switch for the house network, 1g hub, cable modem and a WRT54g wireless router. The UPS software says it runs at about

151 watts (Not sure if I trust the UPS internal meter) and I have seen it peak to about 180 when recording & com. skip scan.

May have to pull the graphics card now that you did to test it out.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
Could somebody elaborate on that?

From context I'm guessing that "NAS" is some kind of server-type device that serves up files.

But don't you still need a WHS box or other PC to run the Sage server?

I just measured my WHS box plus all routers an other devices (i.e. I plugged the UPS into the Kill-A-Watt) and the whole setup was pulling 153 watts with 4 1-TB drives and minimal activity.

How does that stack up with others?
Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 AM
Sage User

I'm expecting that the 785G will pull around 40W total with a mobile (or undervolted) CPU. We'll have to see if that plays out. If it does, it could be a real winner. A solid state drive would pull very little itself, and the only significant heat generation would be the motherboard.

There are a couple of boards that already make this level, so I'm hopeful. (see http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...nt,1997-5.html). The 780G + sempron described in this article can't do HD well, but the 785G (with a much better graphics engine) should be better.

Personally, I'd like to see an ITX form factor HTPC with eSATA, and then put a low-cost (sub-$200) RAID 5 box on the back for data storage. I could hide that real well in my living room... Imagine a $500 passively cooled (truly silent!) 40W (peak!) HTPC...

We're almost there!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Sage User

I run SageTV server on Acer H340, it is a Intel Atom 230 based home server. I have 4 1GB drives and 1 1GB esata, esata drive being dedicated to Sage recordings(64k formatted). With one HDHR as tuner, whole thing uses less than 50 watts. Granted, can't do heavy encoding and such but something that runs whole day, its perfect. I am surprised that HD200 uses 5-6 watts in standby. I'll have to hook it up to killawatt but I was under the impression that most CE devices standby under a watt.

Anyways coming from a Tivo and WMC, new setup uses much less power and much more centralized. Thanks Sage, keep on improving though
Old 07-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Sage User

Power consumption

My Power consumption;
Server - 250 watts
Plasma TV - 450 watts
Sage HD 200 - 8 watts
Total - 708 Watts
Old 07-26-2009, 03:19 AM
Sage Expert

'Off' is just the red light and the video drivers being off. Most of the HD200 stays on. Which is why you have to 'cold boot' it (remove the power physically) when it freezes.