SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
This is exactly the reason I retired my client PC in the living room and switched to the HD200. This was last spring when our electricity rates were sky rocketing (they finally topped out at $.43/kWh).

Aloha,
Mike
Mike,

Why is power so expensive in Hawaii? The power is about 8 cents per KWH in Minnesota, where about 50% is from coal and 50% from nuclear. Are they running the power plants on coal and shipping all the coal to Hawaii? The 'payback' time to install residential solar and wind power should be very short with those high electric rates. It should also be possible to generate a lot of power by ocean wave power for commercial power generation.

Dave
Old 07-26-2009, 08:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Mike,

Why is power so expensive in Hawaii? The power is about 8 cents per KWH in Minnesota, where about 50% is from coal and 50% from nuclear. Are they running the power plants on coal and shipping all the coal to Hawaii? The 'payback' time to install residential solar and wind power should be very short with those high electric rates. It should also be possible to generate a lot of power by ocean wave power for commercial power generation.

Dave
Everything is expensive in Hawaii... except the pineapple...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Sage Expert

"Everything is expensive in Hawaii... except the pineapple... "

Where everyone is on the 'Dole'...

Last edited by freedml; 07-26-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Mike,

Dave
Our power plant uses diesel, so when fuel prices increase our electricity rate increases as well. A wind farm was built a few years ago that is supposed to supply up to 15% our the island's power. But they made an agreement to sell the electricity to the electric company at the going rate, so there is no cost savings there.

I'm getting ready to have solar panels installed in the next couple of months. I'm looking at about a 6KW array. With Cap-and-Tax, things will only get worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Everything is expensive in Hawaii... except the pineapple...
Bananas are pretty cheap too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedml View Post
"Everything is expensive in Hawaii... except the pineapple... "

Where everyone is on the 'Dole'...
Ugh.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
I'm getting ready to have solar panels installed in the next couple of months. I'm looking at about a 6KW array. With Cap-and-Tax, things will only get worse.
What can you power with something like that??? Cap and tax is going to make it very bad for everyone, Hawaii is doomed it sounds
Old 07-26-2009, 08:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrems View Post
What can you power with something like that???
Everything.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Hmmm, maybe Hawaii should build biomass plants that run on bananas and pineapple...
Old 07-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_ac View Post
Correction: I just did the math, and based on the wattage differences, the yearly power cost of our set up is about $23, versus $215 if we left our PC up around the clock. So, it would take 2 years to recover the energy cost, not just one.

On the other hand, our A/C doesn't have to kick in to cool the room holding the server, whereas the PC generates a LOT of additional heating... Maybe the cost savings is much more than $200 per year...
When we evaluate the coming choice between just replacing our furnace (probably 5k max) and installing a geothermal heat pump for both heating and AC (possibly 30k+) - once we get the bids, we will run "What-If" simulations with various inflation rates.

I'm guessing that with current inflation rate the straight-up furnace replacement will be a slam-dunk and geothermal will be way out there in la-la land.

But with double-digit inflation post-2011..... Who knows...
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna