SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 08-26-2010, 05:39 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't either, just have my cell phone, which I Bluetooth dock to my cordless phone and use as my "landline". Only complaint I have with the system is that the call quality is not the most stable. Even though my cell phone isn't moving, the quality tends to go in and out.

I'd like a more stable (call quality) system, but with how little I use the phone, it's basically got to be free, or no cost beyond the setup hardware....
Old 08-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I'd like a more stable (call quality) system, but with how little I use the phone, it's basically got to be free, or no cost beyond the setup hardware....
I would grab a cheap (less than $15US...) basic ATA, a GV account, a SIPSorcery account an head to town! Free for any calls to the US and Canada and cheap (better than *MOST* VOIP services...) rates for other locales.

-Jason
Old 08-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Sage Expert

I got Nokia e72 which has built in VOIP client. Then set it up using SIPSorcery + SIPGate + Google Voice and now I have a free calls when aroud WiFi at home, where I spend most of my time (quality is indistinguishable from any other way of connecting) and 3g when out. I was able to this way decrease my minutes on plan to the minumum. With rollover minutes I have multiple thousands minutes when of 3g, unlimited internet and free calls from home on the same cell phone for $50 a month.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...erver-required

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 08-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

If you're outside of the U.S. you can't have GV. But we're more used to VoIP so with the two you can have GV. I setup GV with a local number where I have some people that can call me on a local call. That GV number forwards as per GV setup to a VoIP number I have in another location where I also have people. That VoIP number routes to my PBX where it will ring a deskphone at home, one at work, and my cell number. I pickup whichever is handy. Basically I've been doing my own style of GV for years so GV doesn't give me a lot. Having it available from gmail is sweet though.

If you didn't know, you can transfer a call between any numbers configured in GV. You might take it on your cell and when you walk into the house transfer to the house phone. This is another feature I don't get to use since my local PBX does that for me.

Building your own PBX is a lot of fun but if you only want good service then find a good voip provider. Some give you enough of a PBX to not need your own. I'd much rather pay the ~$6/mth it costs me to call anywhere and have several DIDs than use any of the goofy services like skype, magicjack, etc. Those are fun but they aren't good enough.

BTW, someone asked what number do people see for callerid. It is the GV number even though it is bouncing via another number. It is basically a three way conference you'd do on a landline.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
You set up the GV number to use the SipGate as one of the phone numbers. Inbound and outbound are GV numbers.

B
Is Sipgate One still letting one sign up? I have tried numerous times but never get the SMS message sent to me to go forward.

Thanks
GM
Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by George M View Post
Is Sipgate One still letting one sign up? I have tried numerous times but never get the SMS message sent to me to go forward.

Thanks
GM
I thought I had recently read that they are out of numbers.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
I thought I had recently read that they are out of numbers.
Although there are quite a few 'free' providers of DID telephone numbers out there, if you are wanting to specifically get a number in a certain location, then try CallCentric. The pricing CANNOT be beat...

http://www.callcentric.com/dids/phone_number_sale

-Jason
Old 08-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Sage Expert

If you're unable to get a SIP Sorcery account, and in the absence of any glue for asterisk<->Gmail Call Phone, you should still be able to use Incredible PBX (basically asterisk with some scripts to simulate SIP though Google Voice and a DID -- and a bunch of other stuff you may or may not use) using Google voice and a free sipgate DID connect your sip ATA to Google Voice.

Takes a little work to get the PBX in a flash Asterisk distribution (heart of the "Incredible PBX") working well in an ESXi VM, but once it's up-and-running, it works well.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Cool

i use $50 HP T5700 thin client with embedded asterisk http://www.askozia.com firmware v1.01.
it's amazing serve whole my house many phones (snom m3), duo channel Bluetooth gate http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...70&_nkw=gp-712
and pair Linksys SPA3000 http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Linksys+SPA-3000 (one for analog line, and one for door intercom)

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;
Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Sage Expert

Not for asterisk yet, but a step in the right direction:
http://freeswitch.org/node/280

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Google_Voice_Call