SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Sage User

Copy movie files to Thumbnail on HD200 USB port

I have an 18Gb Thumbnail attached to the front USB port on my HD200.

For performance reasons, I would like to copy a movie from my laptop to the Thumbnail on the HD200.

On the HD200 I have the file server turned on. On my Windows VISTA laptop, I can see the HD200 as a network device on my network (It's called "SAGE" the name I gave it when turning on the file server option).

With the Thumbnail plugged into the HD200, I can see the Thumbnail and the files on it as a share on the "SAGE" network device.

When I try to copy and paste a file to the Thumbnail, I get "Folder Access Denied", "You need permission to perform this action".

When I look at the file permissions for the Thumbnail, it lists: "Allow Everyone "None", Allow Unix Group/ root "None", and Allow Unix User/root "Special". When I look up the special permissions for Unix User/root, it pretty much looks like read-only and execute permissions.

Is there a way to modify the permissions so I can copy files to my Thumbnail when attached to the HD200?

I know I can just disconnect the Thumbnail and connect it to my laptop, put the desired files on it, then connect it back to my HD200. But I'm just using my Thumbnail as a test. If I can get it to work where I can copy files to it while attached to the HD200, I want to replace it with a large USB Drive and connect it more or less permanetly to the HD200 to store my movie files on it as I obtain them.

Thanks in reply for any replies.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:21 PM
SageTVaholic

What format is the thumbdrive formatted in? I think it needs to be ext3 or something.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
What format is the thumbdrive formatted in? I think it needs to be ext3 or something.

Gerry
It's formatted FAT32.

I was reading Opus4's sticky about modifying the HD200 STV. He mentions using Telnet to copy files to a Thumbnail.

So just for fun, I tried Telent. I was able to see my movies in the import directory "/tmp/sagetv_shares/nas/media/Movies" and the Thumbnail in "/tmp/external/SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro".

I've never used telnet before but I found a Unix command called CP. I tried the CP command >CP "/tmp/sagetv_shares/nas/media/Movies/Blindness/*.* Bob.Movies

It attempted to copy all the VOB files in the Blindness directory to my directory "Bob.Movies" on the Thumbnail. But for every file it tried to copy it returned the error: "Read-Only file system".

So trying to copy files that way is giving me basically the same problem. I appear not to have the correct permissions to copy files to the Thumbnail.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:15 PM
SageTVaholic

I found this on another thread about a discussion copying to a USB drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason22 View Post
Ext3 is still working well for me. A little slow on file transfers, but no real problems. After some research, I came to the same conclusion about NTFS-3g, but I never got a confirmation of that. I had thought that it might not be a free driver though so that would explain why it isn't included.
Format the thumbdrive in ext3 format and you will be able to write to it. It can only read NTFS and FAT32.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I found this on another thread about a discussion copying to a USB drive.

Format the thumbdrive in ext3 format and you will be able to write to it. It can only read NTFS and FAT32.

Gerry
Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to re-format the Thumbnail on my VISTA laptop. It gives me 3 format options: Fat32, NTFS, and exFat.

Is exFat the one I need, or do I need to get some sort of utility to do this? (Or can I format it while it's on the HD200?)

Thanks for help with my probably dumb question.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:29 PM
SageTVaholic

I think you need a utility or a Linux machine.

Gerry

EDITED: or try this: Parted Magic I believe you can run it as a Live CD and format your thumbdrive. Make sure you pick the right drive.

Last edited by gplasky; 08-18-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I think you need a utility or a Linux machine.

Gerry

EDITED: or try this: Parted Magic I believe you can run it as a Live CD and format your thumbdrive. Make sure you pick the right drive.

SUCCESS!!! Thanks!!!

Much to my surprise I found that my Acronis Disk Manager software has an option to format Ext3. So I used that to format the Thumbnail.

I plugged the Thumbnail into the HD200 and was able to copy files to it using my VISTA laptop to copy and paste and also copy files to it using the "Copy Files" option on the HD200.

The only downside is that now VISTA doesn't recognize the Thumbnail any longer when plugged into my laptop. So I guess I could find and install a driver that will let me access it. But since it's doing what I want it to do on the HD200, I don't think I'll bother.

The only other quirky thing I found, is that the format created a directory called "Lost+Found". I don't know if I need that directory or can delete. For now I guess I won't touch it.

Thanks Again (I would have never figured that out on my own).
Old 08-18-2009, 03:26 PM

Question Network access to HD200 USB Port

A newbie question - I have a external USB Hard Drive plugged into my HD200 with media files already loaded on it. This setup works fine in stand alone mode (thanks to the recent firmware update that solved the stuttering problem).

I would also like to use this external hard drive as my storage location for recording, but do not want to have to unplug it from the HD200 and plug into my computer every time I want to record - I would like to simply setup the HD200 as a location on my home network where I can point SAGE to save my recordings.

I know that I can move my hard drive and attach it to my PC and simply use the Media Extender mode to access the files, but I prefer this option if I can get it to work because I don't have to leave my PC running all the time or boot up before being able to access it. Also, I am space challenged where my PC is stored (beneath my TV in a cabinet) and the added heat load would only complicate things more.

I am running Sage for Mac - my system actually sees the HD200 unit, but when it tries to connect to it, I get "connection failed".

Can anyone tell me the correct username and password combination to be able to gain access into my hard drive plugged into the USB port on the HD200 from my Mac operating system?

The hard drive is formatted in NTFS, I'm running SageTV for Mac ver.6.6.1, and I'm running MAC OS X 10.5.8 and with a Hauppauge HDPVR.

Thanks,
Nelson
Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcray1 View Post
A newbie question - I have a external USB Hard Drive plugged into my HD200 with media files already loaded on it. This setup works fine in stand alone mode (thanks to the recent firmware update that solved the stuttering problem).

I would also like to use this external hard drive as my storage location for recording, but do not want to have to unplug it from the HD200 and plug into my computer every time I want to record - I would like to simply setup the HD200 as a location on my home network where I can point SAGE to save my recordings.

I know that I can move my hard drive and attach it to my PC and simply use the Media Extender mode to access the files, but I prefer this option if I can get it to work because I don't have to leave my PC running all the time or boot up before being able to access it. Also, I am space challenged where my PC is stored (beneath my TV in a cabinet) and the added heat load would only complicate things more.

I am running Sage for Mac - my system actually sees the HD200 unit, but when it tries to connect to it, I get "connection failed".

Can anyone tell me the correct username and password combination to be able to gain access into my hard drive plugged into the USB port on the HD200 from my Mac operating system?

The hard drive is formatted in NTFS, I'm running SageTV for Mac ver.6.6.1, and I'm running MAC OS X 10.5.8 and with a Hauppauge HDPVR.

Thanks,
Nelson
Please see the above posts. To actually write to a USB hard drive attached to the HD200 the drive will need to be formatted in ext3. The HD200 can only read NTFS or FAT32. It can't write it.

Gerry
Old 08-19-2009, 09:37 AM
SageTVaholic

To read/write your ext3 drive in windows... checkout out this file system driver for windows.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHodge View Post
SUCCESS!!! Thanks!!!

Much to my surprise I found that my Acronis Disk Manager software has an option to format Ext3. So I used that to format the Thumbnail.

I plugged the Thumbnail into the HD200 and was able to copy files to it using my VISTA laptop to copy and paste and also copy files to it using the "Copy Files" option on the HD200.
I spoke too soon.

Although it appears that I can copy files to my Thumbnail while it's connected to the USB port on the HD200, I found that it seems to work fine for smaller files only.

When I try to copy a whole movie (in this case "Be Kind Rewind" 5Gb Dvd), It starts coping the files over my intranet like gangbusters (approx. 2Mb/sec). Then when it hits one of the large VOB files (usually 1.1Gb each), the copy craaps out after copying around 500-700mb of the file.

It just seems like it runs out of gas or something. The flashing activity light on thumbnail goes completly out (dark) and the HD200 gives an error message "Read Only Access" and terminates the copy.

Then, when I try to browse the Thumbnail, the HD200 reports the drive is empty. But when I do a power plug reboot and browse again, the files that it was able to copy are there on the Thumbnail, including the partially copied 1.1Gb file.

I've tried both my Thumbnails, a 16Gb Sandisk and a 8Gb GeekSquad, and both exhibit the same problem. I've also tried formatting the Thumbnails at various Ext3 block sizes from 1Kb to 16Kb. With no apparent difference in results.

I tried copying and pasting the movie folder using Copy and Paste with my VISTA laptop and also the HD200 Copy Folder feature by using the HD200 to browse for the folder located on my laptop and copying it to the Thumbnail that has been added as an import directory on the HD200.

So far, although I've been able to copy some files, I have not been able to sucessfully copy a whole movie yet.

This is not a mission critical thing for me, but I thought someone may find the feedback useful.

Regards
Bob
Old 08-19-2009, 05:19 PM

Gerry,

Thanks for the quick feedback. I formatted the external HD in ext3 format and plugged it in and I still can't log into the HD200 from my MAC on my home network - it sees the HD200, but when I try to connect it gives me a "connection failed" error and requires a user name and password in order to access the HD200. Any ideas as to what the user name and password combination might be?? (I'm certain that I did not create one when I installed the unit - It was plug and play).

Thanks,
Nelson
Old 08-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcray1 View Post
Any ideas as to what the user name and password combination might be?? (I'm certain that I did not create one when I installed the unit - It was plug and play).

Thanks,
Nelson
I've successfully used User=root and User=Unix User\root with a blank password (no password).

Unfortunately I don't use Mac though, I use Vista.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Sage User

I was able to get a DVD movie to play from my Thumbnail connected to the USB port on the HD200.

I have two Thumbnails, but both were two small to hold a BluRay movie, so I went out and bought a WesternDigital 500Gb USB drive.

I formatted it as NTFS and copied a BluRay movie to it (Fast and Furious III) from my VISTA pc.

I plugged the USB drive into the front USB port and the drive just made a bunch of funny clicking noises. So I plugged into the back USB port and the HD200 recognized it ok.

So I added the drive to my Import List on the HD200 and the BluRay movie showed up properly on the VIDEOS DVD/BD list.

I tried to play the movie, but it was very choppy and even though it did play, it was basically unwatchable.

So I plugged the USB drive into my VISTA pc and added it as a share on the VISTA computer.

I used the browser in HD200 standalone mode and added the share to my Import List. The movie was properly listed in the VIDEOS DVD/BD list and I was able to successfully play and watch it. It only very shortly skipped two times during the playback of the movie.

I then used the HD200 in extender client mode with the Sage server running on my VISTA pc and the USB Drive connected to it.

I was able to successfully find and play the BluRay in 1080p24 flawlessly on my Samsung.

So now I'm sorta confused. I would have expected the movie to play the best with the USB drive directly connected to the HD200. But in fact it was barely watchable.

Am I doing something wrong? It would be really nice if I could connect the USB drive directly to HD200 and play the movies from it.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I was able to get a DVD movie to play from my Thumbnail connected to the USB port on the HD200.

I have two Thumbnails, but both were two small to hold a BluRay movie, so I went out and bought a WesternDigital 500Gb USB drive.

I formatted it as NTFS and copied a BluRay movie to it (Fast and Furious III) from my VISTA pc.

I plugged the USB drive into the front USB port and the drive just made a bunch of funny clicking noises. So I plugged into the back USB port and the HD200 recognized it ok.

So I added the drive to my Import List on the HD200 and the BluRay movie showed up properly on the VIDEOS DVD/BD list.

I tried to play the movie, but it was very choppy and even though it did play, it was basically unwatchable.

So I plugged the USB drive into my VISTA pc and added it as a share on the VISTA computer.

I used the browser in HD200 standalone mode and added the share to my Import List. The movie was properly listed in the VIDEOS DVD/BD list and I was able to successfully play and watch it. It only very shortly skipped two times during the playback of the movie.

I then used the HD200 in extender client mode with the Sage server running on my VISTA pc and the USB Drive connected to it.

I was able to successfully find and play the BluRay in 1080p24 flawlessly on my Samsung.

So now I'm sorta confused. I would have expected the movie to play the best with the USB drive directly connected to the HD200. But in fact it was barely watchable.

Am I doing something wrong? It would be really nice if I could connect the USB drive directly to HD200 and play the movies from it.
It sounds like you are doing everything correct to me. I have a WD 500 gb plugged into the back of my unit(I just keep it there). I have it formatted as ext3. I do not have much HD material, but what I do have plays without stuttering. This wasn't always the case, but one of the earlier firmware upgrades took care of my problems. You are using NTFS which is different. Did you say before how you had it formatted? I have read that it is very important to have 64k blocks with ntfs
Old 08-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Sage User

Quote:
It sounds like you are doing everything correct to me. I have a WD 500 gb plugged into the back of my unit(I just keep it there). I have it formatted as ext3. I do not have much HD material, but what I do have plays without stuttering. This wasn't always the case, but one of the earlier firmware upgrades took care of my problems. You are using NTFS which is different. Did you say before how you had it formatted? I have read that it is very important to have 64k blocks with ntfs
I formatted it NTSF with the default block size. I think it's either 4k or 8k.

There is an option to format with a 64k block size. So I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know that you have the same drive and it's working ok for you. That helps to narrow down the troubleshoot process. I was trying to figure out how to eliminate limited USB port power as the culprit, because it seems fairly certain that there is not enough at the front USB port. But when plugged in the back USB port, it "appears" that the drive is working ok. It's definitely working ok on my VISTA pc. I'm getting a good 24Mb/sec transfer rate there.

After saying that, now I wonder (out loud) if there is a way I can verify whether the USB port on the HD200 is USB 2.0 or 1.1??
Old 08-24-2009, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Well considering you can now use Wireless N USB devices and get 30mb/s+ that means it is definitely USB 2.0.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 08-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I formatted it NTSF with the default block size. I think it's either 4k or 8k.

There is an option to format with a 64k block size. So I'll give that a try.
Reformatted the drive with NTSF 64k blocks and tried to watch the BluRay movie "The Spirit". But no joy.

It seemed to have helped a great deal. The skipping is a lot less frequent and shorter in duration, but still annoying enough to make the movie unwatchable.

One side effect I noticed is that the larger block size causes the remote responses to be really slow. I.E. when I press the pause button, it takes quite awhile before the movie will actually pause.

I have a Icy Dock external USB drive enclosure that plugs into the wall for it's power. When I get a chance, I think I'll throw a drive into the enclosure and try it again with that to eliminate the need to get USB power from the HD200 and see if that helps or not.

My best bets right now is that it's either a USB power problem or a data file transfer buffer type problem for the HD200 trying to keep up with the greater transfer rates required to play HiRes 1080p24 BluRay content.

I can verify or eliminate a power issue, but not sure how I would verify a data transfer issue.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Reformatted the drive with NTSF 64k blocks and tried to watch the BluRay movie "The Spirit". But no joy.

It seemed to have helped a great deal. The skipping is a lot less frequent and shorter in duration, but still annoying enough to make the movie unwatchable.

One side effect I noticed is that the larger block size causes the remote responses to be really slow. I.E. when I press the pause button, it takes quite awhile before the movie will actually pause.

I have a Icy Dock external USB drive enclosure that plugs into the wall for it's power. When I get a chance, I think I'll throw a drive into the enclosure and try it again with that to eliminate the need to get USB power from the HD200 and see if that helps or not.

My best bets right now is that it's either a USB power problem or a data file transfer buffer type problem for the HD200 trying to keep up with the greater transfer rates required to play HiRes 1080p24 BluRay content.

I can verify or eliminate a power issue, but not sure how I would verify a data transfer issue.
Your power issue theory could be true. My WD drive plugs into the wall. I don't have the long pause times with my format options. I could have the same problems as you do though, and not realize it because of my limited content. At times people will open a bug report and support will try to reproduce the issue with their files. You may want to go the support route if all else fails.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Your power issue theory could be true. My WD drive plugs into the wall. I don't have the long pause times with my format options. I could have the same problems as you do though, and not realize it because of my limited content. At times people will open a bug report and support will try to reproduce the issue with their files. You may want to go the support route if all else fails.

I was finally able to get around to my little test.

I plugged a WD 1TB drive into my powered Icy Dock USB Drive Enclosure. Formatted it NTSF 8K blocks and copied two movies to it (a BluRay "Fast and Furious" and a regular DVD "Bolt").

Hooked the USB drive to the back port of the HD200 and added the movies to the Directory Imports.

Tried playing "Bolt" and it played fine. Then tried "Fast and Furious" and I had the choppy playback problem again. The movie would pause about every 15 seconds or so for about a second or less and then continue playback for another 15 seconds or so. It made viewing the movie unwatchable.

I tried the same thing with the front USB port and got the same results.

I then plugged the USB drive into my NAS drive server and added the movies to the Directory Imports on the HD200 (stand alone mode).

From the NAS server over my LAN, I was able to play both movies on the HD200 (in standalone mode) just fine.

So I conclude the problem is not a USB port power problem. But I'm not sure what to conclude about what is causing the problem. It seems to me like some sort of buffering problem just by the way it's playing back when connected to the HD200 USB port.

It's just plain weird that I can get better performance by playing the movie over the LAN than when connected directly to the box.

Are there any buffer settings that can be set on HD200? My guess is no.