SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and combine a few of the factors here-

The number of likely paying users times the likely charge ( $5 - $25 ) for a plugin would be far too little money for the developers- especially given the likely sense of "entitlement" to support paying users would have. It just wouldn't be worth it.

The complexity of the environment and the support issues it causes doesn't exactly help that formula, either.

Cheers
Ikarius

SageTV 6.6.2, SageMC+CenterSage Theme
Server: Intel Core2 Q6600, 8gb memory, 3x 1tb WD EACS drives, software RAID5 2tb capacity, 4gb Flash boot drive, Ubuntu 8.0.4 Server edition
Capture: 1x HD-PVR -> Motorola DTC6200
Clients: 1x STX-HD100 1x STX-HD200, Windows & OSX Clients
Old 08-23-2009, 03:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, Ikarius, I think that's the bottom-line reason. SageTV is just not big enough to do this. If there were a lot more people using it, it would be a different story. The developers aren't dumb, if they could make money (that actually mattered) for something they created, I'm sure we would have seen it by now. I am curious how many people roughly use sageTV in United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarius View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and combine a few of the factors here-

The number of likely paying users times the likely charge ( $5 - $25 ) for a plugin would be far too little money for the developers- especially given the likely sense of "entitlement" to support paying users would have. It just wouldn't be worth it.

The complexity of the environment and the support issues it causes doesn't exactly help that formula, either.

Cheers
Ikarius

***RIP SageTV***
Old 08-23-2009, 05:21 PM
SageTVaholic

The other issue with Netflix is that it is US only. I don't know how high the foreign percentage of users is but I would think it is at least 10-20% - maybe much higher. That will shrink the potential market.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Sage Icon

I would pay netflix for a plugin that would open up an API for support by third party applications...That should insure continuous operability at least.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

no recurring fee

I am not opposed to paying for plugins, per se (heck, I'm certainly into Homeseer for enough $$$), but I would NEVER pay for a plugin that required a recurring or monthly/yearly fee (with the exception of guide data, I dont know how Sage is able to provide Zap2it data for free, not that I'm complaining!!). I just don't like the idea of integrating something into my system that could basically just stop working at any point. Additionally, a recurring fee sets up the possibility for raising that fee or just deciding to stop providing the service one day.

Nick