SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
...I think we're at a time where a decent number of people will realize it's futile to wait for MS to "fix" stuff.
And futile to wait for MS to add much of the stuff they want.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:21 PM
SageTVaholic

And with *MC not being a separate product and tied to Windows releases there is little hope for any meaningful updates until the next version of Windows. Unless Microsoft throws a few nuggets into Win 7 SP1. SP's aren't supposed to add functionality to the product. However, Microsoft has been known to break that rule from time to time in the past.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
And futile to wait for MS to add much of the stuff they want.
Which is exactly what brought me from MCE (albeit the XP variety) to Sage about a year ago. I wanted HD cable in my PVR solution, CableCard isn't available here in Canada so I need the HD-PVR and MS just doesn't seem to want to do that. Given the killing off of MCE extenders, and how well the HD-200s work makes me even more glad that I came over to Sage.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Sage User

I'll give Microsoft until CEDIA, but probably not much longer. If they do have something up their sleeves, we'll see something there.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsocowboy View Post
I'll give Microsoft until CEDIA, but probably not much longer. If they do have something up their sleeves, we'll see something there.
If their sleeves are like their promises, they'll be empty.

I can't count the number of times since 2004 I have waited for the next step forward with MCE etc. They do move ahead - it's just that they are still behind when it comes to function and support.

I've never been disappointed with SageTVs support/function. They seem to move ahead in giant steps. My first year with Sage has been great. Don't miss MS at all.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 09-01-2009, 01:20 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure lots of people will stick with it because it works. But there's definitely a decent sized group out there that's been "sticking with it" hoping for a good premium HD solution.

With the DirecTV and Dish's solutions being canned, and as somewhat questionable future for the HD PVR on WMC, I think we're at a time where a decent number of people will realize it's futile to wait for MS to "fix" stuff.
I think you will see alot of us defect. The mood right now among *MC users right now is moderate at best, and that's being artificially inflated by some new bones tossed out in 7MC, but once that shiny new toy feeling wears off I believe you will see a plenty make the switch, probably some of the more hardcore users infact. I might if I didn't have a house full of dma2100's.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_stalker View Post
I think you will see alot of us defect. The mood right now among *MC users right now is moderate at best, and that's being artificially inflated by some new bones tossed out in 7MC, but once that shiny new toy feeling wears off I believe you will see a plenty make the switch, probably some of the more hardcore users infact. I might if I didn't have a house full of dma2100's.
I was one of those quote "hardcore" core users. I haven't looked back. The ui argument is becoming more and more invalid everyday. The native dvd and blue ray support are worth it alone over MC.

cheers
Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
The ui argument is becoming more and more invalid everyday. The native dvd and blue ray support are worth it alone over MC.
Especially with great new stuff like Sage Movie Wall!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Especially with great new stuff like Sage Movie Wall!
Thanks but really more like phoenix api and BMT those are where the real improvements have been made I just take advantage of the great stuff they have done.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:59 AM
SageTVaholic

I came over from wmc 2005 less than a year ago. I never even used wmc 05 much because of how much the functionality sucked. I'm in the form over function crowd and have been told I need to appreciate aesthetics more. I do appreciate "prettiness" but if it looks good and doesn't work, the it is worthless. SageTV has given me all of the functionality WMC will never have. If I had found out about sage sooner I would have been happy long ago. I still can't believe that cable and satellite companies can get away with the crappy dvr's they make people use. I got the Dish HDDvr when there were about 15 HD channels and loved it. Until it broke...8 times in one year. We literally had 8 different boxes in a year. When we finally had enough and told them to give us the newer version we were told they would only do that if we paid $200 and singed a 2 year contract. Haven't regretted getting rid of dish yet. Then I had a cable dvr. It made me miss dish. Now I have sage and ota. I will never be happier.

Now that I have all of the functionality I could ever want (except native blu-ray playback and cd playback and the ability to make me a sandwich) I wish it were pretty. I like sagemc and all of the hard work everyone has put in to make it prettier, but it should be out of the box. I know I'm beating the dead horse, but I wanted to say it. I do believe that the sage team is aware of this and sage 7 will be everything we've been dreaming of. If that happens, then MS needs to just give up on MC because they will all be sage users. I just hope we aren't disappointed.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Sage Icon

In addition to the new default interface there will be Phoenix and Ortus. Both promise to be really nice as well. These interfaces are being put together by teams of users and so should have the best from each developer as well as more eyes looking at them from the beginning.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Apparently along with cablecards this isn't dead either.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/10...uner-hands-on/

Come on we need some exciting sage news
Old 09-10-2009, 12:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Nor is it alive being it's only a "proof of concept demo". SageTV was part of something similar a few years ago.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sounds like a Monty Python sketch - I'm not dead yet!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/10...uner-hands-on/
To quote Ben D from many comments he's made to others in the past, "where's the news in this?" What's new?

The only thing new so far is that Dish demo'd this "proof of concept" at CEDIA. No announcements, no promises, no estimated dates nothing. If we haven't learned to not get excited about vaporware like this yet we still have a lot to learn. I'll admit the concept of a satellite tuner for HTPCs is still an awesome concept that we would all love to see, but I'm not going to get excited about it until it's a device we can get our hands on it. If someone on the "inside" like a rogue MC beta tester wants to share more about this Dish thing that might make me think more is up with this though.

Quote:
In time... In good time. I'm certainly happy to see the CableCard restrictions reduced, but there are many other things that would have to change with MediaCenter to pull me over. #1 being a viable extender. If a company displays a new MC extender that is as good as the HD200 for MediaCenter that would cause a major shift imo. I think we'll see some nice stuff from SageTV (the company) by early next year and some nice stuff from 3rd party developers around then as well. That's my guess at least - I'm still on the side of CableCard won't happen for SageTV atm, but that could change I guess.

Last edited by Brent; 09-10-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Sage Expert

Yeah, but they ALWAYS ditch their extenders months after making them (except for the xbox). Why would this time around be any different?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The truth is that Sage is so far ahead of MCE on functionality that this is all catch up on the part of MCE.

What is there that we would want from Sage?

My main asks would be cheaper extenders and a new better/UI. Extenders around a $100 price point would be fabulous and there is a new media device from Brite-View with similar specs to the Sage extender coming for $99 (entry price regularly $129).

I guess many folks would like to see better integration of online content but as a Canadian I care less about that as it is likely to be restricted to US only.

A version of Sage Placeshifter for Blackberries, iPhones and other smartphones would be nice.

What else would you like to see PLUCKY?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

What else would you like to see PLUCKY?
Speaking for Plucky: Native Tuners for Cable & Satellite.

But I agree wayner, SageTV is far ahead in most aspects.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Speaking for Plucky: Native Tuners for Cable & Satellite.
Theoretically I agree but the cynic in me says that this would have so much DRM that we are better off with a cable/sat box (or 2) and an HD-PVR.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Theoretically I agree but the cynic in me says that this would have so much DRM that we are better off with a cable/sat box (or 2) and an HD-PVR.
What Brent said but my top gripes with sage are (and I have them with MC more so that is why I use sage currently

1. The pause during livetv pisses me off to no end I know it doesn't bother some but I get tired of it and the wife gripping about it.
2. The overall unified stv structure. Ie you have ortus,phoenix and sage7 coming out that means developers like myself will only likely develop for the stv they use leaving everything divided. I would like to see sage 7 bring a better unified support for the default then you would have all developers consitrainting on a unified stv to develop for.
3. Better upgrade stvi structure to allow for version checking and upgrading stvi's without having to rollback stv's and such
4. Native tuner support or something better than the hdpvr solution for hd sorry that just doesn't cut it for me.
5. Better extenders (meaning better ui faster processing of the ui and such right now that is the biggest limiting factor in ui development for me.
6. Native hd audio support (this one is really pushing me away from extenders right now I have this shiny new hd audio reciever that I get no benefit from)

nitpicky but not a deal breaker
1. the touchscreen in w7 mc is amazingly awesome and very usable would like better/native touchscreen support similiar to this in sage
2. Better unified UI (again goes back to number 2&3

cheers