SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
2. The overall unified stv structure. Ie you have ortus,phoenix and sage7 coming out that means developers like myself will only likely develop for the stv they use leaving everything divided. I would like to see sage 7 bring a better unified support for the default then you would have all developers consitrainting on a unified stv to develop for.
Yeah, I agree, SageMC and the stock STV is already somewhat problematic, with new setting options never quite making it to the custom STVs....

Quote:
4. Native tuner support or something better than the hdpvr solution for hd sorry that just doesn't cut it for me.
Nothing Sage can do about that since there's nothing but the HD PVR out there.

Quote:
6. Native hd audio support (this one is really pushing me away from extenders right now I have this shiny new hd audio reciever that I get no benefit from)
Can you even tell the difference

FWIW, this to me is almost more interesting than the MCE stuff:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/10/p...t-tap-concept/
Old 09-10-2009, 04:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Nothing Sage can do about that since there's nothing but the HD PVR out there.

Can you even tell the difference

/[/url]

Sage can do something about it but it cost money and going after the content providers like media center has and they dont want to go that route mostly probably for money and drm and I understand that just saying wish they would give an option

And yes I can tell a huge difference in lossless audio and normal dolby digital anyone who can't needs their reciever calibrated or hearing checked
Old 09-10-2009, 05:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Sage can do something about it but it cost money and going after the content providers like media center has and they dont want to go that route mostly probably for money and drm and I understand that just saying wish they would give an option
Well yeah, with unlimited funds they could do anything. Point was Sage doesn't make tuners, and there's really nothing out there but the HD PVR. The service providers have no interest in supporting PC recording....

Quote:
And yes I can tell a huge difference in lossless audio and normal dolby digital anyone who can't needs their reciever calibrated or hearing checked
Must, resist, need to flame about attacking unknown other's hearing.........
Old 11-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Sage Icon

FWIW this project is not dead and further Echostar / Dish Network has aquired Slingmedia rather then risk another Tivo fiasco. The next generation of DVRs will have intergrated slingbox. I don't know much but I know this project too is not dead (possibly renamed however ) .

Also with the Duo receivers connected to ethernet you only pay.
(tuners / 2) -1 = Outlet fees

*$5 for SD box
*$7 for HD box
*$5 for secondary outlets if not connected to POTS or ethernet.
**First outlet of first receiver is always free.

I have recently upgraded from Cox Tulsa to Dish Network using 3 DS-2077 30" dishes with DishPro Dual LNBFs , a DP34 switch and 2 Vip222k receivers. I use the USBUIRT and 2x TV2IR kits to control all 4 tuners.

My monthly outlet cost is only $7.

Also you can shutoff the inactivity timer but not the system updates, however you can both schedule when they occur (3 am for me) and auto tune timer to restart at (3:30 am for me) on whatever channel I choose. No prepending IR codes required, just setup a simple autotune timer for daily use.

Because Dish receivers can use multiple IR code sets you can have many boxes without much trouble but the TV2IR kit only works on IR address 1 so with a USBUIRT you can only have 3 Duo receivers in the system but you can have many many 1st tuners or solo receivers.

So far I'm happy and much higher quality picture then my analog cable had.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:39 PM
SageTVaholic

But how do you get HD channels from Dish Network to your PC? Isn't the only way with a HD-PVR.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Sage Icon

Right now I don't I can't playback HD (only 1 HD200) yet so capturing it isn't as big of an issue. However the HDPVR is what I will most likely aquire.

As a bonus you can make the system redundent without much work if you only need 4 independent outputs (2 is even cheaper) by combining the modulated signals or using an off the shelf modulator. You don't need IR relay from TV2 locations and the TV2IR kit allows RF to passthrough from an attached antenna.

This way if your server is down for maintence (you know it happens!) then you can just pass out remotes labeled by the TV channel it controls and distributed by the existing cabletv wiring most houses already have.

You can also setup most boxes to use RF for TV1 control too for the ultimate in backup system. Literally just pass out the TVs and tune your TV to the channel listed on the label. Boom you can at least watch live TV in a pinch.

Unfortunately for me I ripped out all the coax a long long time ago in favor of Cat5e. Which again with a few baluns you could still do the same by moving a few patch cables. Unfortunately No receivers right now support coaxial audio so you can't have component and digital audio on a single Cat5. I think I'll just run some more coax and live through whatever happens next.

This is normal for me I do things backwards all the time, everything in my system will be ready before I upgrade the part that really puts on the load. In this case h.264 hd. I already have boosted storage, just added 5 more TB. I need 3 more HD200s before I start the HDPVRs everything else is a go.

I find I have fewer problems this way though.