SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

SageTV slow response

SageTV slow response:

I had brought this up in an older thread and thanks to helps from others on this forum though it was resolved. However I am still experiencing excruciating sow response from SageTV for either keyboard or ir remote commands. IT seems the longer SageTV is running the slower response. IT will take as much as 10 second for it to response to a keyboard or remote command. This is with no other programs running.

I have SageTV running on an HP864N P4 2.6 with 512K ram. I am running the latest beta 2.15. Task manager show that the majority of memory is being send to the system cache while the available memory dwindles to as low as 26KB these number fluctuate and if I minimized SageTV the available memory does go back up.

Based on the last responses I got it seems that my situating may be unique (lucky me). The recommendation was to apply a series of tweaks which I did. The only thing that I can speculate on is that that I have Sage running on a machine which also has Microsoft MCE and Beyond TV (obviously never running at the same time). I am also using a USB-UIRT.

Any help or ideas on what might be the cause of this problem would be appreciated. My copy of SageTV is registered but unless I find a solution, the software will not be useable. Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Come on folks someone out their has to have a clue to what's going on here.
HTPC(self built dedicated )/SageTV 7.1.8 Beta /SG01 Silverstone Case/ Intel Dual Core Q6600/ Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H mATX MOBO 2GB RAM /WD 300GB SATA Drive/HD-PVR, Sage HD-300, HDHomerun, Nvidia 8600GTS Graphics Card/Windows 7 SP1/USB-UIRT-controlling one SA4250HD STB's/Harmony 700 Remote.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Re: SageTV slow response

Quote:
Originally posted by jphhughes
Based on the last responses I got it seems that my situating may be unique (lucky me). The recommendation was to apply a series of tweaks which I did. The only thing that I can speculate on is that that I have Sage running on a machine which also has Microsoft MCE and Beyond TV (obviously never running at the same time). I am also using a USB-UIRT.
You're not alone in this one. I have the same sluggishness in my system. I've got 256mb of ram in mine, and it appears to only touch like 168mb of it, which means it's not even hitting the virtual memory yet.

I don't think the USB-UIRT is your problem though, because I'm not using one. As far as this sluggishness goes, you got me, I've tried like heck to fix it.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 03-31-2004, 09:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

krutaw

I appreciate the reply. This somehow has to be a SageTV issue. The rason I say this is that I can run Microsoft MCE or BeyondTV on the same machine and everthing is fine. If I don't get other replys with possible solutions I will submit it as a technical problem directly to Frey. Thanks
HTPC(self built dedicated )/SageTV 7.1.8 Beta /SG01 Silverstone Case/ Intel Dual Core Q6600/ Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H mATX MOBO 2GB RAM /WD 300GB SATA Drive/HD-PVR, Sage HD-300, HDHomerun, Nvidia 8600GTS Graphics Card/Windows 7 SP1/USB-UIRT-controlling one SA4250HD STB's/Harmony 700 Remote.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Which version of Java are you running? Have you upgraded? If so, did you uninstall the old version first?
Old 03-31-2004, 09:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

stanger89

The verson is SE v1.4.2_03. I beleive this is the current verson.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Did you previously have an older version installed. When you update, Java doesn't seem to uninstall older versions, that has caused random problems for some.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well at this stage of the game I can't say for certain if I did. So should I uninstall Jave and reinstall?
Old 03-31-2004, 10:18 AM
SageTVaholic

You probably don't need to unless you see two version of Java in Add-Remove Programs, but it probably wouldn't hurt to try anyway.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

No, just on version show in Add-remove programs. However at this stage I will give anything a try, so I will uninstall and reinstall. Any other idea ? thanks for the help.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

stanger89
I uninstalled Java and reinstalled it now running SE V1.4.2_04. No improvement in performance still very slow to respond. On thing I noticed when reinstalling was that Java puts a logo (coffe cupt) in the stray. I assume this means its running. However when I restarted the system their was no logo in tray. I looked in task manager to see is anything is running and I see no apparent java app. Should their be one? If so what's the name. thanks
Old 03-31-2004, 12:09 PM
SageTVaholic

I think the logo must be something added in 04 to let you know something is using Java. Java itself never really runs so you wouldn't see anything in task manager.

Has Sage always been slow or did it become slow at some point?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had used the trail verson to test it out and I don't remember this problem then. If I had I would not have purchased the product. In doing some research I can tell you that I got my license key on January 20, 2004 and in this tread http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...low+to+respond Was my first post about this problem.

I believe their was a period of time where this problem did not exist. But hen that might have been with 1.4.10 Allthough I did go back to 1.4 and still had the same problem.

The only wild guess I can make is I have SageTV running on the same bachine as Misrosoft MCE which does have services running for scheduling and the like.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

just an addon point since installing Sage 2.15 bata the CPU usage had increased from aroung 20-25% to 50-60%. Thanks again hope we can get to the botton of this. Now that I have Sagewake working well with SageTV I would really like to make Sage my primary PVr software.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Well Sage doesn't run any services, so that shouldn't be it. Hate to suggest something drastic, but what happens if you back up your SageTV directory (in case you want it later). Then uninstall it, delete the directory and re-install. Actually, what happens if you delete your sage.properties, sage.properties.autobackup and wiz.* files (back them up first in case)?
Old 03-31-2004, 04:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok I'll try step two first delete sage.properties, sage.properties.autobackup and wll wiz files. after I back them up. will let you know. thanks again really appreciate your help
Old 03-31-2004, 06:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok after deleating the Sage.properties and the properties back up and wiz files and restarting sage there has been some improvement. Its been running for two hours now and first imporvement is in cpu usage, its back in the 10-20%. The responsiveness is somewhat improved but still not what you would call normal or average. I will continue to test it. Since I deleted the files I can only use keyboards command for the time being.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:18 PM
SageTVaholic

What happens if you put your sage.properties file back?
Old 04-01-2004, 07:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

I will put the properties file back tonight and let you know. Regards,
Old 04-01-2004, 08:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have had this issue on a couple of occasions with 1.4, in both cases It was traced back to services or background processes that were running and causing a delay in the time that it took to get sage to recognize a command.
The symptoms of my issue were that sage would take 10 seconds or so to recogize a command, then any following commands would work allmost instantly. I f I waited a few moments and tryied again it would take 10 seconds again.
There turned out to be a number of processes and services that interfered with Sage. some of the worst offenders....Zone Alarm and Nortons Anti, I ended up carefully going through and disabling everything that I didnt absolutley need.
It took quite a while....a couple times I thought I had it, but it showed back up.
Now my system responds almost instantly.

Mike/