SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Build 2.0.15 First Impressions

The mouse support is most welcome, thank you! Some issues I had working through the interface:

1. Watching live TV and bringing up program guide, I couldn't click-change to another channel by clicking on the program guide. Instead, I would get the detailed information screen and "Watch Now" was not an option, except for the channel that was currently active.

2. In the Sage Recordings list, I could not delete a program from the detailed information screen or by right-clicking on the list item.

3. There does not appear to be any visual cues/icons on the screen when watching a program to indicate recording is in progress. It would be great to have a BIG RED DOT in the right hand corner display when viewing program information overlay when recording is in progress.

4. Program title should be BOLDED in the program information overlay as it is in the Detailed Information screen.

5. Program guide should not be able to backup past current time, or there should be a fast key to get to current time mark.

Looking good!

Regards,
Rob
Old 03-30-2004, 09:58 AM
SageTVaholic

1. Click on a program that is currently showing, not one that has already finished or not yet started

3 Recording is always in progress for the currently being watched programme... If you go in to Sage Recordings, or program guide, or recording schedule, the currently recording program has a yellow border.

5 -- Fast key to current time: press the the TV Guide key (CTRL-X). It will re-center the guide to 'Now'. Or using the mouse, go back (arrow at top of screen) to main menu, then re-select Guide.
(other shortcuts: FF(ctrl-A)/REW(CTRL-F) are page forward/back. If prefixed by a number they are that many DAYS forward/back... )
Old 03-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

RE: #1, occurs for any program in the same current time slot.

RE: #2, while it is always recording / timeshifting, it is good to know if the program being viewed is a scheduled recording.

RE: #3, thanks for the tip.

HP Media Center m390n, P4 2.4GHz, NVidia GeForce 5600 FX, Hauppauge PVR-250 PCI II, NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder, Microsoft Windows Media Center PC 2005, 1GB RAM, (2) 600MB HD, Motorola DCT5000 STB, USB-UIRT, Time-Warner Digital Cable
Old 03-30-2004, 10:23 AM
SageTVaholic

#1) odd -- works for me (I had just tried it) The only time I could not get 'Watch now' was when the program had already stopped/not yet started.

#2) Just noticed: when watching a program, the border of the program info can be either Gray (normal TV), White (favourite), Red (Manual Recording) or Black (don't like)
There is not much difference between gray and white (compare the outline with that of channel box)...
Old 03-30-2004, 10:25 AM
Sage Icon

I much prefered the TV button function before. It allowed you to go out and do something, go back to the video and return to what you were doing fast and easy. It also allowed you to start a recording and bounce back to the recording list with one push then return to video with another. Now it only goes to video and nothing else.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:31 AM
Sage User

I have been having a problem for many beta releases now. The problem is that the sagetv window goes 'black' if the Windows XP screensaver starts. Once I come back from the screensaver, the audio still works but pressing the menu button, etc., does not bring the video back. The only way to resolve this is to shutdown the sagetv app and restart it.

Is anyone else experiencing this? By the way, I have the ATI 9600xt video card and using the DVI interface. I am using the most current drivers but have experienced this through previous ATI driver releases.

David
Old 03-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Sage Icon

Are you using VMR? Do you have 3d acceleration enabled?
Old 03-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Sage User

You didn't quote who you are responding to so I'll assume it was me. Yes, I have 3d acceleration enabled. What is 'VMR'?

Quote:
Originally posted by falchulk
Are you using VMR? Do you have 3d acceleration enabled?
Old 03-30-2004, 12:05 PM
SageTV Co-Founder

I don't recommend using any Windows screen saver when using SageTV due to problems it may cause. This why there is a screen saver within SageTV.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Sage User

Is there a way in enable the Sage screen saver on the 350 out? The screen saver on sleep works, but my 10 second delay to activate the screen saver does not. It works fine if i disable the 350 out.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Sage Icon

Using the 3d acceleration option seems to casue the black screen at the folowing times:

1. Returning from suspend.

2. after playing some direct 3d games.

3. after using direct 3d screen savers.

As Dan says its best not to use the windows screen saver anyway.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Sage User

Screensaver has an express purpose that has resided with the operating system for along time. The purpose is to reduce screen burn in from static images. As I often walk away from the computer and do not turn off the monitors, I have grown to depend on the screensaver function.

I think it is up to Frey to resolve this issue if it is known. I have yet to have them recognize this issue though.

Quote:
Originally posted by dkardatzke
I don't recommend using any Windows screen saver when using SageTV due to problems it may cause. This why there is a screen saver within SageTV.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Sage Icon

SteinyD, it has been addressed. Use the sagetv screensaver. There is an entry in the sage.properties file to disable the windows screen saver while sage is in full screen. In this instance, use the sage screensaver.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Sage User

Guys -

I don't use SageTV in full screen. This happens when I have it in a reduced window and my screen saver kicks in. Most of the time I'm watching TV through Sage while doing other things on the computer, walk away for 10 minutes and when the screen saver kicks in, SageTV is useless.

My point is, I can do lots of things to avoid this (including extending the screensaver timeout period) ... but what has Frey said about fixing this issue?

Quote:
Originally posted by falchulk
SteinyD, it has been addressed. Use the sagetv screensaver. There is an entry in the sage.properties file to disable the windows screen saver while sage is in full screen. In this instance, use the sage screensaver.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:16 PM

So SageTV does not disable the screen saver when you run it in a window? I think it does on mine.

Does Sage get messed up if you use a non 3D screen saver?

My Direct3D games get messed up when a 3D screen saver kicks in too. Not much they can do about it if you are running with 3D Acceleration on.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Steiny, I feel your pain. I don't happen to have a problem with SageTV's screensaver because of two reasons:

1) I'm using it on pure HTPC... all apps are always full screen
2) it is the only thing saving me from J River Media Center, which is currently completely disabling my Windows screen saver while it runs. That SageTV has its own screen saver means that I still get to use JRMC -- I just have to remember to wake up SageTV before walking away from the theater. Luckily this is on SageTVClient.exe so I don't have to worry about recording issues that result from leaving SageTV awake.

That said, I'm heartily in favor of any company that makes HTPC-related products taking screen saver issues very seriously. There are users who will turn around and walk away from a company who cannot meet their screen saver needs. I'm on the verge of becoming one of them with JRMC.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:12 PM
Sage User

The problem of using the built in screen saver is that I happen to use dual monitor. When the screen saver for sage comes on I get a 100% processor usage, and i only have the screen saver for one of the monitors but not both.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to TunaBoo Send a message via AIM to TunaBoo Send a message via Yahoo to TunaBoo
FYI - Screen burn doesn't really happen anymore. It is a myth, and screensavers are kept around for old times sake.

The best thing to do for your monitor is to set it to power off after say 15 minutes in the power manangement properties. This will
1) Save your electricity
2) Not mess up sage like a screen saver....
Old 03-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Sage Icon

It does on rear projection and plasma TVs... I have a high dollar rear propjection that has 'burn in' on it as proof. And just go look at any plasma screen athe shows the same thing for a long time (like at a Planet Hollywood).

Agreed though that 'regular' CRT type screens do not burn in anymore.

Jason

Quote:
Originally posted by TunaBoo
FYI - Screen burn doesn't really happen anymore. It is a myth, and screensavers are kept around for old times sake.

The best thing to do for your monitor is to set it to power off after say 15 minutes in the power manangement properties. This will
1) Save your electricity
2) Not mess up sage like a screen saver....
Old 03-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Sage Expert

One think that I have not seen mentioned is that with a PVR-350, when the video background is enabled, and you go to "search by title" you can barely read anything. The background should have a light blue tint around the letters.

I also hate to be missing the two pane view, and browse by catagory
Deadbolt