SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Sage User

Halt Detected In Recording

I recently upgraded from 6.5 to the latest version of Sagetv, as well as MC, and latest drivers for both my HDHR's, as well as my HD-PVR.

Now Sagetv has the system messages obviously, and I'm getting on average 1 per hour per recording of "halt detected in recording." messages. When playing these shows back, although there is no red in the bar, it will skip approximately 20-30 seconds I think, right at the point where that halt detected notification happened.

Although before it wouldn't have told me since my previous version didn't have system messages, it didn't skip like that before.

Since it occurs on both HDHR's, as well as the PVR, it *seems* like it wouldn't be a tuner issue.

Any ideas on a starting point for tracking down why it does this?

I'm recording Directv with the PVR, and QAM with the HDHR's, and there have been no differences in how I record (i.e. additions in devices, shows, etc.).

If I could just get someone to point me to where I should start looking, that would be great. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrscdx View Post
I recently upgraded from 6.5 to the latest version of Sagetv, as well as MC, and latest drivers for both my HDHR's, as well as my HD-PVR.

Now Sagetv has the system messages obviously, and I'm getting on average 1 per hour per recording of "halt detected in recording." messages. When playing these shows back, although there is no red in the bar, it will skip approximately 20-30 seconds I think, right at the point where that halt detected notification happened.

Although before it wouldn't have told me since my previous version didn't have system messages, it didn't skip like that before.

Since it occurs on both HDHR's, as well as the PVR, it *seems* like it wouldn't be a tuner issue.

Any ideas on a starting point for tracking down why it does this?

I'm recording Directv with the PVR, and QAM with the HDHR's, and there have been no differences in how I record (i.e. additions in devices, shows, etc.).

If I could just get someone to point me to where I should start looking, that would be great. Thanks!

I've been seeing those errors a bit with my system as well. Not with all tuners though, which made me think I might have a bad tuner.

I'm starting to think I may just have an unstable setup (been through many upgrades/betas/etc over the past two years).

I'm considering removing sage completely and starting over fresh this evening, with the latest software and seeing if that helps.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Sage Expert

I see it but only with my Digital tuner which is connected to the cable line for ClearQAM but only intermittently. I tend to think it's a hiccup with the feed signal.

I had a cable problem kill one of my channels a few weeks ago and I would get continuous halt errors (25+) for those recordings until Sage finally just killed the recording.

The interesting part is that comskip tends to do a better job dealing with them than Sage does, because the commercial locations will be marked OK, but Sage will end up refusing to play certain sections regardless of marking.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrew View Post
I've been seeing those errors a bit with my system as well. Not with all tuners though, which made me think I might have a bad tuner.

I'm starting to think I may just have an unstable setup (been through many upgrades/betas/etc over the past two years).

I'm considering removing sage completely and starting over fresh this evening, with the latest software and seeing if that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djc208 View Post
I see it but only with my Digital tuner which is connected to the cable line for ClearQAM but only intermittently. I tend to think it's a hiccup with the feed signal.

I had a cable problem kill one of my channels a few weeks ago and I would get continuous halt errors (25+) for those recordings until Sage finally just killed the recording.

The interesting part is that comskip tends to do a better job dealing with them than Sage does, because the commercial locations will be marked OK, but Sage will end up refusing to play certain sections regardless of marking.
When I upgraded, I completely removed all of Sage and reinstalled, so it wasn't a straight upgrade, I guess I should have worded that better.

Also, I never once had the issues before (obviously the system message, but the skipping 20-30 seconds). Knock on wood, but the HDHR's were bulletproof, even with 4 tuners recording full HD (they're on their own separate dedicated network). The PVR was almost as rock solid, occasional glitches, but more like once a month lock ups vs. once a day skips...
Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Sage User

I'm getting alot of these messages as well..

I just did a complete WHS operating system reinstall and upgraded to the 6.6 release at the same time. I'm running an HDHomerun and an HD-PVR and noticed that some scheduled recordings hadn't recorded (no conflicts) and over the last day since the reinstall, I'd get "no signal" on some channels without resolution (HD-200)..

I stumbled across the system messages and found I had 53 of them (over 1 day). Mostly "halt detected in recording" and "recording missed due to capture device failure". They all say.. blah, blah, blah.. "stopped producing data while recording"... and are pretty much evenly split between the both devices.

I just replaced the HD-PVR (C2 > E1) and the HDHomerun has never given me problems in the past.. I really don't think both devices are all of the sudden bad.. My WHS install is brand new and the only 2 drivers installed are the latest for each device. I'm much more inclined to believe the issues relate to this latest SageTV software release.. Prior to my server reinstall I had alot of WHS addons and had a lot of instability with the HD-PVR, but never with the HDHomerun..

Any settings that could possibly be tweaked? Hopefully the folks at SageTV are watching these threads..

Man, I'd just like to have a stable system..that works without constant fiddling..
Old 10-05-2009, 09:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Did you install java on your WHS?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Sage Icon

Was the WHS moving a lot of files around trying to balance the pooled drives during these times? I have found with my WHS setup that even if I record to a dedicated non-pooled hard drive, if the WHS is trying to rebalance the pooled drives and working hard to move files around, it can overwhelm the bandwidth and cause the recordings to fail/stop/studder as you are experiencing.

Once the pooled drives get balanced, then the workload is lighter and the recordings seem to work just fine.

That's been my experience at least with my new WHS setup.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 10-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Sage User

I don't have much to add to this, other than a "me too."

I've been seeing a lot of these errors since installing 6.6 and have been operating under the assumption that something must be wrong on my end (ie. too little/too much signal from antenna, bad cabling, pci slot problems, power supply, etc), however nothing I have done in terms of troubleshooting seems to have made an awful lot of difference.

Not sure if its relevant, but the great majority of the errors come up on recordings generated by my Hauppauge tuners (2x1600s), though there have been instances on my other two tuners (1xHDTV Wonder, 1xOnair GT).
Old 10-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Sage User

Never had the problem prior to this upgrade..

I came up on SageTV last May.. so I'm pretty new to the solution.. but I've never had this issue before, prior to this upgrade.. With that said, the message function is new from what I understand, but I never had missed recordings before.. Now I am and these messages are specific to the issue... So, no, I don't think this has anything to do with drive balancing.. and to add to that, most of the missed recordings are from the middle of last night, so it's not like there would have been alot of other activity going on..

Oh yeah... and yes, I did install Java. The most recent release. How would that affect it?

I don't recall if it was in this thread or another, but I ran across this link: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42784 that discusses settings a "parser delay".. the thread explains the setting and how it may help.. I'm gonna give it a go and report back..

Last edited by jbmia; 10-05-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post

Gerry
As in java causes this, or the lack of java does causes this?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Sage User

gplasky above asked if I'd installed Java on my WHS.. I was just curious as to why..
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

Gerry
on my recent WHS install I did not, am I suppose to?

system seems to be working fine so far for me
Client 2: HD100 on 50" Panasonic Plasma (16x9)
Client 3: HD100 on 32" Toshiba Tube (4x3)
Old 10-05-2009, 03:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
on my recent WHS install I did not, am I suppose to?

system seems to be working fine so far for me
SageTV requires java. Even thoguh the service will run. (It's a service) Java is a required component for SageTV. Get the latest java downloaded and installed on WHS then reboot your server.
It's in the system requirements:
Quote:
Software:
DirectX v9.0 or higher available freely from Microsoft.
Java Runtime Environment 1.4 or higher available freely from Sun Microsystems.
Seriously folks. Read the manual , the webstie, the forums or something. SageTV is a java-based program.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 10-05-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

I too have noticed what appears to be an increase in the number of times my HDHR errors out, messages and resets itself. This usually means a minute or two of the beggining of a recording is cutoff (red)

It seems like I get about 5 a week or so.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
SageTV requires java. Even thoguh the service will run. (It's a service) Java is a required component for SageTV. Get the latest java downloaded and installed on WHS then reboot your server.
It's in the system requirements:

Seriously folks. Read the manual , the webstie, the forums or something. SageTV is a java-based program.

Gerry
Yeah I did when I did the install on the XP machine
no worries, I will install both and reboot

Also the JVM Heap, what is a good size for it?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:59 PM
SageTVaholic

I would recommend staring with 512. I set mine to 768 but never see it use more than 400.

Gerry
Old 10-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I would recommend staring with 512. I set mine to 768 but never see it use more than 400.

Gerry

I noticed I too am getting Halts from my HDHR, yes Java and DirectX 9 are installed on my HDHR

interesting thing is I am recording 2 shows, both are using the 2 tuners on the SAME HDHR.. one had 3 or 4 halts, in 6 min, the other had no issues, I think it is the feed signal
Old 10-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think the Halt ( in my case) is due to not seeing the channel I want to record. I must have missed scanning those channel on THAT tuner.. I will do so shortly.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

I was having this problem when I added the HDHR to my 4 way splitter, which I did not have problems with before...but I switched it to a amplified 4 way splitter and so far tonight no halts yet...cross fingers.
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Sage User

I'm getting these as well. On top of that, I can't get it to tune any of the 6-x channels (PBS) although they tune fine on the TV tuner using an antenna. I get a constant "No Signal" error.

I have 3 kids 8 and under and my wife LOVES the "Create" channel. This is a bad thing. WAF is taking a major hit.

It's an install on WHS with the HVR-1900. I had no problems until the digital switchover, and that's when I lost PBS.