SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Sage User

Just to add one more to the bunch. I am getting a massive amount of these errors. I really never paid attention to them until we noticed that some channels were not recording. I think it might be the digital change over that caused the problems. however how do we fix them?
AMD Athlon FX-60, A8N32-SLI Deluxe, 2 GB DDR400, GeoForce 7800 GT 91.47, Recording Drive SATA II (5 Maxtor @300 gig raid 5), LiteOn DVDRW 16X Dual Layer, 2 Hauppauge PVR 500 Cards, VBOX Cat's Eye USB-A-3560, FW-> SA 3150HD, DirMon2, ShowAnalyzer v.0.8.2
Old 10-23-2009, 02:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've started seeing a load of these too - and started missing recordings - has anyone been in touch with support regarding this issue yet?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:51 AM
Sage Icon

When the system messages first came out, I report the issue to support. At that time it was due to a channel that I had been getting in clear QAM was now encrypted. I think the key is looking at the number of times the problem occurs. In the last couple of days I have seen 2 different recording which show 1 single halt in them. I have only watched one so far but I could tell that something was missing in the recording. These are the ones that would be very hard to track down the cause. I suspect it is a cable company issue. Other times when I see multiple halts ( I saw a X7 last week), I can check with my TV and see the channel is not being broadcast on cable properly. Once I was able to determine that the channel was being broadcast in analog but the digital channel was off the air. Last week with the X7 halted show, I lost the first 15 minutes. Again I suspect an issue with the cable company. It would be goot to know if anyone using OTA is seeing these problem. That could be caused by temporary interference in the signal.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Sage User

Another "me too", OTA user with 3 USB tuners: Vbox 3560, Hauppage HVR850 and HVR 950. It happens on all 3, and on various channels.

In addition to seeing it during recordings, I'm also seeing it just after "Capture Device Failure while Starting Recording" messages, again on multiple tuners. This message happened today with a popup error code of 0x8007045d when trying to start a recording while I was watching a saved video. I went to the server and could not get the faulty tuner to tune anything until I restarted the Sage service, at which point it tuned to the problematic channel and worked fine again. This seems to point to a Sage issue.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm another "me too" on this one. I've never seen this issue before and then all of a sudden in the last two week it's brutal. I'm recording the hockey game right now and in the past 4 hours it's given me 20 error messages. Almost forget watching a live channel right now. Sage interface on the 3 Extenders is super slow -- video pauses, stutters, and stops playing.

The Halt Detected in Recording is happening with my HD-PVR connected to the satellite. The signal is perfect with no glitches.

For kicks, I used HCWClear and reinstalled the firmware on the HDPVR with no change.

Not sure where to turn at all.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Sage User

I am testing Video REdo and it is a big problem when a new show starts or a cheap commercial kicks in. It changes the format somehow in the middle if IDR frame and HDPVR don't like it. It makes it real hard to get solid recordings or to edit commercials. It is crap shoot as to when the recording changes or starts channel as to what it is on the time. This may be carrying over to HDPVR.
Roger
Old 10-27-2009, 04:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Then this is an issue videoredo needs to correct in their beta. HD-PVR outputs their file from a hardware chip on their device. Sage doesn't do anything with the file.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Add another one to the list. I am seeing at least one a day now on both my HDHR's. Everytime I see this message I end up losing the first 2-3 minutes of the show I am recording.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am seeing this a lot too all of the sudden.

The x40 errors can usually be chalked up to signal issues (QAM, or bad reception during rain, etc.).

But I'm getting a lot of the x1 at the beginning of shows on the HDHR...not sure what's causing those, because the rest of the show records fine, but I miss the first 2 minutes...
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Sage User

Add me to the list of those getting the Halt Detected in Recording errors as well as periodically missing the first minute or two of recordings.

One exception to my case, though, the error happens only on the HVR-1600 and never on the HVR-2250.

As a test I have removed that tuner from Sage and will report back if I still get the error.
Capture: 2 Hauppauge PVR-500 (each using dual analog cable tuners)
Clients: 3 MVP (usually only 2 in use at one time)
Old 11-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

I too started to get these errors. The frequency increased gradually over time. I have two HDhomeruns. Today, one of them was not able to be found by the HDhomerun setup software. I found that my oldest unit's power supply had failed. The power light on the HDhomerun was flickering slightly. The power supply was very warm to the touch. I cracked it open and was greeted with the stench of burnt electronics. I temporarily replaced the power supply with a similar one that I had for a router. The unit is now working perfectly. Too bad the unit is now out of warranty. This will be the units 3rd power supply. I have submitted a trouble ticket to Silicon Dust to see about getting a new power supply.

Check your power supplies everyone!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronics4lif View Post
I too started to get these errors. The frequency increased gradually over time. I have two HDhomeruns. Today, one of them was not able to be found by the HDhomerun setup software. I found that my oldest unit's power supply had failed. The power light on the HDhomerun was flickering slightly. The power supply was very warm to the touch. I cracked it open and was greeted with the stench of burnt electronics. I temporarily replaced the power supply with a similar one that I had for a router. The unit is now working perfectly. Too bad the unit is now out of warranty. This will be the units 3rd power supply. I have submitted a trouble ticket to Silicon Dust to see about getting a new power supply.

Check your power supplies everyone!
Just had my second power supply fail as well. Replaced with one (same rating) that I had lying around. I've been gone for several days and was surprised to still see a bunch of errors for the tuner. Just shutdown sage service, re-ran the HD homerun setup and restarted server. Seems to be working for now.

Hoping to get another power supply for SD as well.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYinHD View Post
Add me to the list of those getting the Halt Detected in Recording errors as well as periodically missing the first minute or two of recordings.

One exception to my case, though, the error happens only on the HVR-1600 and never on the HVR-2250.

As a test I have removed that tuner from Sage and will report back if I still get the error.
Just an update FWIW. It is now 4 days since I removed the HVR 1600 from the tuner list and I have not had a single Halt Detected in Recording error. I had been getting the error at least once per day.

I wonder if all of us getting these errors are coincidentally having some kind of hardware failure in the tuners in question...
Capture: 2 Hauppauge PVR-500 (each using dual analog cable tuners)
Clients: 3 MVP (usually only 2 in use at one time)
Old 11-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

I found my problems went away when I added a amplified splitter to the HD Homer Run and added an external hard drive for recording. Which ever solution solved the problem it has been gone over a month now.
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 11-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaz View Post
I found my problems went away when I added a amplified splitter to the HD Homer Run and added an external hard drive for recording. Which ever solution solved the problem it has been gone over a month now.
Signal problem is a good bet. I too was getting these errors on my 2 HDHR's and even my HD-PVR-Comcast STB.
I had Comcast out to check everything and signals were good at the house input, but they had just come the day before for a signal problem at the neighbors. Things were great for a few days and then the problems returned.

Come to find out my 8 way splitter/amp in the basement went bad. I noticed that the 2 outlets I had that didn't go through that splitter/amp showed no problems with signal (HD channels would glitch every few seconds on the splitter/amp outlets).
I swapped out the splitter/amp with a new one and its been running fine for the last several weeks.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Sage User

I was having same problem too , looks like for me was the lack of space on the recording hard drive ... Just emptied the drive and waiting to see the results now ... Will keep you posted ...
Old 11-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Sage User

There is a similar thread about inadequate recording space and fragmentation causing halts in the SageTV Software forum:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...3&postcount=19

Last edited by martin; 11-17-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Sage User

Yup ... making sure there is enough space solved the problem for me ... I did had some space before, but once a longer show would be recorded the space would run out before the show was done , and was causing the "Halt detected in Recording " error....
So as hard to believe as it seems this could be a HDD problem, not a sage or tuner problem ...
Old 11-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicu_n View Post
Yup ... making sure there is enough space solved the problem for me ... I did had some space before, but once a longer show would be recorded the space would run out before the show was done , and was causing the "Halt detected in Recording " error....
So as hard to believe as it seems this could be a HDD problem, not a sage or tuner problem ...
I hope that is the case... I've cleaned up some old files and will keep an eye on it as well.

I would argue that this is actually not a HDD problem since the software is supposed to manage disk space. Seems it is not doing a very good job of that.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
I hope that is the case... I've cleaned up some old files and will keep an eye on it as well.

I would argue that this is actually not a HDD problem since the software is supposed to manage disk space. Seems it is not doing a very good job of that.
Well I see your point ... Sage should manage HDD space, but hey , after all this piece of software is already doing sooo much for us , lets give him a break and help a little with disk management ... Huh ?