SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:03 AM

Non-linux newbie w/HD-PVR questions

Ok, I'm an old hand at Linux (i.e. I've got SuSe 4.1 disks around here somewhere) but since I've hit middle age my attention span for doing things like configuring kernels and compiling obscure contingent libraries has shorted significantly. After spending *many* hours trying to get Myth working with my system working and my GF giving me the look of hate when I mentioned that there was a COTS solution, I decided to give Sage a try. It's been a lot easier so far, so here's what I've got:

Homebuilt dual core CPU, etc.
Ubuntu 9.04
Hauppauge HD-PVR with the new firmware installed
FIOS HD Set-top box w/PVR Motorolla QIP 6416

I've done all the prereqs w/r/t getting the HD-PVR sending a signal into the linux box itself. If I do a 'cat /dev/video0 >out.ts' I get a playable video file. Also, if I watch Live TV with Sage, the blue light on the HD-PVR goes on, but there is no picture on the preview (strangely, the first time I set started the Sage system, I did get preview, but alas). If I use my Mac in the next room to connect with the client, I get audio but no video.

Also, I wondering what is considered the best (best effort/performance ratio) channel changing solution for the FIOS STB? I've tried to use 6200ch but that hasn't worked, even when I stripped out the model checking in the source code.

I'm stoked to be so close, so much closer than I ever got with Myth, but I really want to stop hacking and start watching! Anyone got any pointers for me?

Cheers,

James
Old 10-27-2009, 04:33 AM
SageTVaholic

The latest HDPVR driver includes IR support. Have you pulled it from V4L-DVB yet? I am attaching the lircd.conf I used when I had FiOS.

B

PS - If you would ever run more boxes I would recommend looking into a command IR II.
Attached Files
File Type: txt lircd.conf.dos.format.txt (95.7 KB, 437 views)
Old 10-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjamesincanden View Post
FIOS HD Set-top box w/PVR Motorolla QIP 6416

Also, I wondering what is considered the best (best effort/performance ratio) channel changing solution for the FIOS STB? I've tried to use 6200ch but that hasn't worked, even when I stripped out the model checking in the source code.
Wow, people working into the wee hours!

Simply "stripping out" the model checking won't work, because it will just try to change a channel on the first thing in the firewire chain, which will probably be the interface itself. It will probably work if, with the stripped version, you use the -g switch to pass it the GUID of the STB so it tries to change the channel on the correct box. Run plugreport to find the GUID of your STB. Alternatively, you can add the model / vendor of your box to 6400ch instead of just stripping out the check. You can find that out by running 6200ch -v. Also, be careful when stripping out / modifying the device check. The logic in 6200ch right there is a bit convoluted.

I used the hauppauge IR for a while and it worked, then it quit. I like the idea of firewire better anyway. Also, I think you can't use this with multiple hdpvr boxes because there's no separate identifier for each hauppauge IR. You can use firewire to switch channels on multiple boxes, as long as you specify the GUID in the command line for each of them. Or, you can use an external IR box like USB-UIRT.

BTW, ubuntu 9.10 will be released in the next couple of days. I think (though I haven't confirmed) that it includes the hdpvr driver by default, so you won't need to build that stuff yourself unless you want to use the hdpvr IR because I think (also not confirmed) that the included driver doesn't support IR. If I were you, I'd just start with 9.10.

BTW, 6200ch works, but it is old and no longer maintained by anybody, nor even used by the original author. panelctl, which is included with libavc1394 is much more powerful (you can issue any command, not just channel change) but unfortunately it doesn't accept a guid switch so it won't work out of the box for this purpose. I'm gonna modify it in the next few days and submit it back to the maintainer. Maybe there will be a solution with less rigamarole in the near future.

Regarding the hdpvr video signal, it may be a problem with your mac. Are you using client or placeshifter? Is the mac powerful enough to display HD? Is the network / switch / etc. solid?

Good luck, and let us know the result!

Last edited by loonsailor; 10-27-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:41 PM

Follow ups

So there've been a few more developments since late last night, and I want to thank those who responded for your help.

Now when I tune in via my Mac in the next room via SageTV Client.app, I can watch both live and recorded TV. The quality is a little dodgy and gets stuck frequently, but it's improving. The audio and video are there, which tells me that the hd-pvr is working, the connection between that and my linux box is working, and in fact the SageTV server itself is working just fine. Additionally, though it is unwatchable in the extreme, I can play the *.ts files with VLC and with the mplayer that is included in the /opt/sagetv/server directory. This suggests to me that there is something wrong with the client MPEG decoder(s) or, unfortunately, that my system, with a dual core Pentium E2200 @ 2.2 GHz and a 82945G/GZ Intel Integrated Graphics Controller is too slow. Any input here?

My firewire and IR problems persis, though. I need to spend a little while trying to conceptualize how these work. Is there a way of knowing whether I've got the IR compiled into my hdpvr driver?

This forum rocks....it's amazing that Sage has such a dedicated user base.

Cheers,

James
Old 10-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

If /dev/i2c-x is created when you plug the hdpvr in, the the driver has support for the IR compiled in.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:50 AM
SageTVaholic

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/394794
http://www.nabble.com/HVR-1600-and-l...d22608265.html

Might be worth the read.

B
Old 10-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjamesincanden View Post
This suggests to me that there is something wrong with the client MPEG decoder(s) or, unfortunately, that my system, with a dual core Pentium E2200 @ 2.2 GHz and a 82945G/GZ Intel Integrated Graphics Controller is too slow. Any input here?
Are you using client or placeshifter? If placeshifter, try playing with the settings, especially the one that tells sage not to transcode on the server (LAN only). It may help. I can watch live hdpvr on my old dual-core macPro using placeshifter. Works pretty well. However, 99% of the time I watch on an HD200 media extender. They work great!

Are you still playing with firewire?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:34 PM

Still struggling with channel changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonsailor View Post
Are you using client or placeshifter? If placeshifter, try playing with the settings, especially the one that tells sage not to transcode on the server (LAN only). It may help. I can watch live hdpvr on my old dual-core macPro using placeshifter. Works pretty well. However, 99% of the time I watch on an HD200 media extender. They work great!
It's actually working better now. I replaced Ubuntu 9.4 with 9.10. Problem was, it hosed the display (froze up every time within 10 seconds of login). So I figured I'd go with mythbuntu 9.10 and strip out the myth stuff (different window manager and lighter install, so I thought it might work better. I was right. We can watch recorded stuff on two different macbooks at the same time with no latency. Awesome. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonsailor View Post
Are you still playing with firewire?
I was, but I'm not having any luck. I think my firewire card is dodgy...it's not even being picked up on boot (it was before, so I don't know...). I'm going to get another one that is known to work well with linux and give that a shot. I love this setup--if only I could get the channel changing working.

Any suggestions for well-supported firewire cards?

Cheers,

James
Old 11-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have a SYBA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815124057. Cost $9.95 and worked without a hitch. It's a small one, because I have it in a low profile box. If you're in a larger box, you could get one with more ports, or FW800, or... Other that the fact that this worked without any intervention I haven't done any research.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:34 PM

Thanks, mate. Most appreciated. Just ordered one. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

James

Tags
fios, hd-pvr, linux, ubuntu