SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 10-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Sage Icon

Just got a Roku box...

I recently bought the Roku Digital Video Player (formerly Netflix-only player). It looks pretty good/complimentary next to the HD200 in my equipment case - also a small black box, slightly smaller. They did a good job with it - very easy to use, simple interface, and good video quality. I just wish it had the promised improvements in some kind of browsing or search other than your "instant queue". Of course what I really wish is that native Netflix playback was added to the HD200 but that's a different story . I'm looking forward to what the new Roku "channels" will bring which will let me decide whether to keep it or not.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Craig have you tried the PlayOn add-on for SageTV? Not perfect, but it's been working nicely for us.

I'll agree though native would be much better. I hear the Roku is a very good device
Old 10-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Craig have you tried the PlayOn add-on for SageTV? Not perfect, but it's been working nicely for us.
Yes, I tried it and it worked pretty well for me too. Unfortunately, it bogs down my server (CPU) with the transcoding and the video quality for Netflix seemed relatively poor. Playon is also about 1/3 the cost of the Roku box but I'm still not sure I will keep the Roku if they don't add anything of interest beyond the current Netflix capabilities.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

We've had two Roku boxes for about a year!! Frankly they are a bargain @ $100.00. Their HD & SD feeds/streaming is quit good, selection is decent, setup is easy.......................they just work!! Any issues encountered were/are internet related!!
Oh yes ....... we have next to the Roku boxes Sage HD200's which we use to watch our ripped DVD's, listen to music, watch youtube, TV, an occasional slide show...........the list goes on.

Indeed..............NIRVANA for a couch potato!!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Sage Icon

Well, I still think it is very well done but I decided to send it back as the new channels don't interest me very much (I'm going on 3 weeks now waiting for a return label, though!).

I did really like the very simple interface and think it might make an interesting STV...