SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

WHS vs Sage Client/server

I am currently using a Vista-based HTPC as the Sage client and serving up the rest of the house. As I look as signature of the afficiandos in the forum, many use WHS. Is this a better solution? Why?

Thanks for the insight...

Last edited by MalibuDave42; 11-04-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Running SageTV on WHS is no different than running SageTV on your Windows 7/Vista/Win XP PC. If you run it as a service it runs the same way everywhere. But if you understand the benefits of WHS (backup of all your local PCs, drive pool technology that lets you add more storage easily, folder duplication, and the strategy of utilizing a single machine to host your tuners, host the recording app and host all of your media files in one place it just makes sense. And most people have found the platform to be more stable. (OS Server-based on Windows 2003 server)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

One difference, though maybe I misunderstood the thread, when I rip down my BD disks onto Sage client/host PC, I cannot play the BD rip. I must move and rename the 0000.m2ts file to play. If I am right, are there other Sage differences? If I am wrong, then - nevermind.

WRT to WHS - Is it inherently more stable due to some "server design" or is the code base's longer history given it time to mature and work out defects?
Old 11-04-2009, 02:03 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't do blue rays but the extender supports playing a BD folder so a rip should work. Other people are doing it. You shouldn't have to do anything but rip it to the folder.

At this point I would say it is a more anectdotal stabilty. People who run SageTV on WHS have just said they have less or no issues compared to running it on Windows XX. But as a whole the server OS is destined for businesses and enterprises so it is assumed to be more stable. There are just too many variables (hardware, drivers, etc.) to really say. For my install I never reboot my WHS unless I have done updates and security patches. Or added a new version of a plugin that requires it. other than that it just runs 24x7.
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

I suspect there many many less patches coming for WHS too. I have to reboot Vista 2-3 times a week for patches alone.

Tangential question: I notice on your signature Big Gerr that you have a USB-UIRT on your server. Why is that?
Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Sage Icon

WHS is very attractive for adding diskspace. I don't know how safe the files are compared to copying the files onto a second set of disks or using RAID without WHS. Another alternative is using RAID, but there is a chance for RAID to fail too.

The downside to WHS might be the it is harder to recover, if the OS and programs cannot be recovered with an image. Windows XP is very easy to recover the OS and programs with an image. The WHS might have to be rebuilt from scratch, which could be a pain if there is a lot of customization with SageTV and getting drivers to work.

The best combination might be to use Window XP, or maybe Windows 7 for SageTV and WHS only as a file server for the video files. The SageTV server then could be recovered very easily with an image. The WHS could be rebuilt from scratch easier with less changes from the SageTV program and other programs. I don't know what happens after a WHS scratch rebuild with the files in the pool, if all of the files are there, or they might be gone.

Dave
Old 11-04-2009, 05:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuDave42 View Post
I suspect there many many less patches coming for WHS too. I have to reboot Vista 2-3 times a week for patches alone.

Tangential question: I notice on your signature Big Gerr that you have a USB-UIRT on your server. Why is that?
I had read about issues and difficulties with the IR blaster built into the HD-PVR and it seemed to be a sore point. This is especially true if you have more than one Haupaggue tuner device with IR capabilities in your system. Their IR software can only support one device and you have no choice which device the software will use. And I had a USB-UIRT from my previous endeavors with Sage. For me this took another issue off the table. I have one of the original C-1 HD-PVR units and I just used the USB-UIRT from the get-go. I knew it worked well with my STB. So I never experienced some of the lockups and issues other users had.

Gerry
Old 11-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Sage Icon

Most people want to have their SageTV server running 24/7 to record shows at anytime. A WHS machine also tends to be left on 24/7. So it makes sense to combine both of those desires into one machine that is left on 24/7.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 11-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ah, so you are using the USB-IRT as a blaster (not as a reciever at all). I was thinking "why do you want to recieve IR at the server?" or "one needs an IR reciever for setup issues?" -- did not think of blaster side.

My current client/server Vista machine is dedicated to the Sage task and is left on 24x7. WHS sounds interesting though, but it does "cost" one more PC.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuDave42 View Post
Ah, so you are using the USB-IRT as a blaster (not as a reciever at all). I was thinking "why do you want to recieve IR at the server?" or "one needs an IR reciever for setup issues?" -- did not think of blaster side.

My current client/server Vista machine is dedicated to the Sage task and is left on 24x7. WHS sounds interesting though, but it does "cost" one more PC.
True-but I bet you're not backing up all of your PCs. Which is done automatically with WHS. (If you want.)

Cost of WHS-one more PC
Cost of restoring the Home PC that blew up with all the family photos-Priceless.

Gerry