SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Sage User

Angry Channel Tuning Issue

Hi everyone,
It has been some time since i've posted here, because i mostly used "search" button and found all the answers I wanted, but now I must do it since I am experiencing a very particular problem.
As you can see in my signature, i am using an HVR 2250 in my HTPC, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit at the moment, and an HD200 in my bedroom. Sage it's set up to use three inputs from my 2250: 2 X coax digital channels and one s-video from comcast box.
My problem is two channels in particular 192 - WGNDT and 187 - ABC HD ... those two channes acting really weird... Sometimes i get to a point where i cannot tune to 192 anymore, i mean i press 192, or choose it form guide, Sage looks like it's tuning to it, and confirms that it's on 192, but in fact i still see the picture of the 187... I have to walk away , come back a few hours later and all would be good again.
I have tried different possible solutions like : drivers, channel mapping issues, even windows reinstall... still no luck.
Also would like to mention all other channels work good, only channel 192 has problems, sometimes showing different channel instead, but ALWAYS that different channel is ABC HD 187...
Issue is present on extender as well at random moments.

Is there any way for me to actually see what is going wrong here... some kind of debugging, that would tell me exactlly what happens when i change channel to 192 and possibly why do i see ABC instead of WGN there?

Any ideeas ?
Thank you,
Voicu.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Sage User

I had this problem once. Not sure if it's the same as you. I use a usb-uirt and when you program a remote code you need to do it twice. The second 'learn' of the code was bad. So sometimes it would change right and other times it would not.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Sage User

My problem does not involves UBS-UIRT, since it appears at the two channels that are clearQam, not the ones from s-video input...
Old 11-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Sage User

So a little update here...
Tried today to completlly remove SageTv and try the WinTV7 offered by the Hauppauge, for my video card... I was trying to see if it was a Sage problem or drivers...
Well after removing sage, drivers, restart pc, reinstall drivers, install WinTV7 , scan ... i could swap between the two problematic channels without any problem... Great ... I said , so it is Sage... ...
I went and reinstalled Sage, restored it from a back up of a clean Sage I had before, no imports just defaults chganged channel to 192 ... and guess what ... i get again the ennoying problem ... Sage thinks it's on 192 but in fact displays 187 ...
So I stopped Sage, went back to Wintv changed to 192 ... correct channel displayed ...
So I stopped WinTV started Sage , and guess what ... 192 shows what is should now ... ... change a few channels up , down 187 , 192 ... and others ... and works good , at least for now ...

All this expoerimets still do not tell me if it is Sage or drivers , or if the problem is solved , since It was acting randomly before also ... Sometimes it works , sometimes it doesnt...

Oh one thing i noticed in Sage the two problematic channels look like this :

187 - WLSDT - [117-7-1]
192 - WGNDT - [117-9-1]

As you can see the physical channel is very close , could that cause the problem ?
So annoying having this problem for so long , and no solution ... (

Last edited by voicu_n; 11-10-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Check the manual on remapping channels and/or channel numbers. That should help with your issue.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Check the manual on remapping channels and/or channel numbers. That should help with your issue.

Gerry
I did read it , and also checked noumerous threads regarding this issue , and I am sure I do the remapping the right way ... After all it is pretty easy with latest Sage version... However my issue is still present on random occasions ... But always same tow problematic channels ONLY ... Weird ...
Do you guys know if there is any way I could actually see (and by that I mean kinda like a debugg, or log file) what exactlly happens when this issue do appears again ? To find out somehow what exactly happens when i press the channel channel change to logical 192 , what commands are issued to tuner and what physical channel does it tune to ... And how come it is the wrong one ...
I know there is this option of a log file in Sage but not sure if that would give me all this info about channel numbers, logical and physical .. ?

Thanks,
Voicu.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Sage User

I have been having identical issues with my setup. Also have 2 x HVR-2250 Windows 7 64bit.

I have many examples of recordings that Start on one channel (correct or incorrect) record for a random amount of time switch to a different channel for a period of time, then finally switch back to the original channel. The channels are both QAM and both very close physical channels and I'm wondering if I have bad tuners. I am about to dig out my old HVR-1600 to see if the same shenanigans happen with my old tuner.

My troubled channels are FOX (117-32-1) and NBC (117-5-1). The tuner on at least one of my tuner cards seems to switch between these two channels at will with no rhyme or reason.

I also would like some logging of what goes on for diagnostics. I do notice "Capture Device Failure while Starting Recording" fairly often however these errors don't coincide with mysterious tuner channel changes.

I will also try using Windows Media Center for a few days to see if it also has a problem with the tuners.

Last edited by joe0628; 12-04-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 PM
SageTVaholic

I've been having this problem too with my HDHR. I haven't tried this yet, but one other person claimed the native recording patch (found in one of the stickies of the beta forum) fixes this issue.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:30 AM

I have a very similar problem.

I have used a local Comcast EPG Lineup and remapped all of my ClearQAM physical channels to their appropriate logical channels (talk about tedious, as I'm sure you all know!).

When I use this lineup with the "first" of the dual tuners ("Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture Digital TV Tuner"), all the channels tune perfectly. However, when I try to use the same lineup with the "second" of the dual tuners ("Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture Digital TV Tuner #2"), then I get a few channels which consistently do not tune correctly (logical channel 3 tunes to logical channel 2, logical channel 111 tunes to logical channel 113, and a few others).

I have tried creating a new lineup and redoing the mappings a second time, I have tried copying (rather than using the same) the original lineup, I have tried many different things and I cannot get the second tuner to tune a handful of stations correctly.

This happened to me once before, but while I was playing with it, the problem suddenly disappeared... but now it's back. So frustrating!

If anyone has any ideas, please help!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm having the same issue with channels that have close to the same physical number, 19-0-1, 19-0-2, 19-0-3.

Tuner 1
19-0-1 CBS
19-0-2 CBS Weather

Tuner 2
19-0-1 PBS
19-0-2 CBS
19-0-3 CBS Weather

I am trying to redo the sources to see if it helps, but I had a heck of a time getting the remaps to reset. The reset option did nothing, I uninstalled/deleted/reinstalled SageTV and the remaps were still there. But I think I finally got the remaps to reset, so I am starting over and hoping it works this time.

So I did a channel scan with tuner 1, then when I added tuner 2 I let it scan again and it found channels that tuner 1's scan didn't.

Last edited by Oats; 12-08-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcF View Post
I have a very similar problem.

I have used a local Comcast EPG Lineup and remapped all of my ClearQAM physical channels to their appropriate logical channels (talk about tedious, as I'm sure you all know!).

When I use this lineup with the "first" of the dual tuners ("Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture Digital TV Tuner"), all the channels tune perfectly. However, when I try to use the same lineup with the "second" of the dual tuners ("Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture Digital TV Tuner #2"), then I get a few channels which consistently do not tune correctly (logical channel 3 tunes to logical channel 2, logical channel 111 tunes to logical channel 113, and a few others).

I have tried creating a new lineup and redoing the mappings a second time, I have tried copying (rather than using the same) the original lineup, I have tried many different things and I cannot get the second tuner to tune a handful of stations correctly.

This happened to me once before, but while I was playing with it, the problem suddenly disappeared... but now it's back. So frustrating!

If anyone has any ideas, please help!
I noticed this too Marc. I made 3 copies of the first tuner's files and renamed them. This partially fixed my problem but still at least one tuner was giving the problem. I'm strapped for time though and don't have the will to play with it enough to identify which tuner is the problem child. Though everything seems fine under other software so it looks like a sage problem. If I had time I would just remove the source tuner that is having problems. Keep me informed what you guys find out, Its nice to know I'm not the only one having this problem.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oats View Post
I'm having the same issue with channels that have close to the same physical number, 19-0-1, 19-0-2, 19-0-3.

Tuner 1
19-0-1 CBS
19-0-2 CBS Weather

Tuner 2
19-0-1 PBS
19-0-2 CBS
19-0-3 CBS Weather

I am trying to redo the sources to see if it helps, but I had a heck of a time getting the remaps to reset. The reset option did nothing, I uninstalled/deleted/reinstalled SageTV and the remaps were still there. But I think I finally got the remaps to reset, so I am starting over and hoping it works this time.

So I did a channel scan with tuner 1, then when I added tuner 2 I let it scan again and it found channels that tuner 1's scan didn't.
Ok guys so , looks like for me with latest hauppauge drivers and these files here : http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...282#post389282 it works ... at least for now ... Remember before i had the problem comming and going ... so it might be back ... Right now looks like tese files solved it...
Thanks Reggie and Joe for suggesting the useof these files ... By the way .. how come these files are not included with latest Version of Sage???

Last edited by voicu_n; 12-09-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

After reinstalling, resetting the remapped channels, and doing a fresh scan and channel lineup my issues appear to be gone. The two tuners came up with different scan results but I used the one which matched my TVs scan results. It has only been a day though, so if it starts happening again I'll give the native recording patch a try.