SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Sage User

HDHomeRun "No video capture devices found" WHS

I am going through the initial setup of a SageTV server on my WHS box (HP485) and a HDHomeRun. The HDHomeRun can be seen just fine by its setup software and I can play channels with no trouble using its software. The WHS set up the SageTV Server just fine as well and shows to be started. When I set up a client on a pc with the wizard and get to select the video capture device screen, the HDHomeRun is not shown.

I set up the HDHR first, the WHS second and the client last. I have removed all the programs, deleted the directory trees and re-installed everything a second time with the same result.

I have checked out the Sage.properties file on the WHS and it shows nothing in the mmc/last and mmc/ignore lines, and there is nothing like these lines in the SageClinet.properties file.

I am using the windows XP MCE on the client side and the windows firewall, which has all of the appropriate programas listed for exceptions.

Any ideas on what might be preventing the SageTV from seeing HDHomeRun?

Thank you! -Charles
Old 11-09-2009, 06:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Do you have Sage installed as an add-on before installing the HDHR software? You will need that installed. The the HDHR driver software. Before either one WHS needs to be installed, patched and all PowerPacks installed.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the quick reply!

I do have the sagetv server installed into whs as an add-in, yes. And the server software was installed after the client machine was used to install the hdhomerun software and drivers and before the sagetv client was installed. WHS is showing powerpack 2 as a resource. I keep whs on auto update, so I believe it is up to date. And (forgot to mention this) hdhomerun software does have sageTV called out as the application.

Does that answer your comments?

Charles
Old 11-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Sage Icon

Are you sure you've loaded the latest STVi? Using the latest SageTV version isn't enough, you must manually check for STVi updates. Since they install in order (download and install update1, then download and install update 2, download and install update 3, etc), you must continue checking for the STVi update until you get the "No Updates Found" popup.

Settings - Detailed Setup - Advanced - STVi Updates is the location I believe (going off memory here).
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 AM
SageTVaholic

I believe you need to have the SageTV server software installed first before you install the HDHomerun software. If you're using it with cable TV I think the HDHR software has to copy the .frq and .scn files into the SageTV directory. If SageTV server is not installed first HDHR can't copy it there. And like sic0048 said update the STV to the latest version before trying to configure the sources.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
I believe you need to have the SageTV server software installed first before you install the HDHomerun software. If you're using it with cable TV I think the HDHR software has to copy the .frq and .scn files into the SageTV directory. If SageTV server is not installed first HDHR can't copy it there.
Gerry
I think you could go back into the HDHR setup program and rescan the channels as well. I believe this causes the HDHR to replace the .frq and .scn files - which would put them in the correct location if it wasn't done correctly the first time.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 11-09-2009, 12:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
I think you could go back into the HDHR setup program and rescan the channels as well. I believe this causes the HDHR to replace the .frq and .scn files - which would put them in the correct location if it wasn't done correctly the first time.
Yes you are right. I also know it might take a little voodoo too so I always begin the install in the same order of apps.

Gerry
Old 11-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Sage User

Thank you for all the advice! However, I must be missing something obvious here. Here is what I did:

I updated the SageTV client until there were no more updates.
I repaired HDHomeRun software.
>> No video source detected.

I uninstalled HDHomeRun & reinstalled. It already had my information so I re-scanned both channel 0 and 1.

I uninstalled HDHomeRun & deleted everything I could find with SiliconDust and HDHomerun in the title, then re-installed. It had US & my zip code, but no channels. I re-scanned and I can still watch TV with the HDHomeRun software.

I searched the entire drive (hidden and system file locations) for *.scn & *.frq files. I only found three "Predefined" files in the SageTV/SageTV directory and no .scn files.

Again, thanks for your help. I have my voodoo doll ready. What is next?

Charles
Old 11-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliescott View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

I do have the sagetv server installed into whs as an add-in, yes. And the server software was installed after the client machine was used to install the hdhomerun software and drivers and before the sagetv client was installed. WHS is showing powerpack 2 as a resource. I keep whs on auto update, so I believe it is up to date. And (forgot to mention this) hdhomerun software does have sageTV called out as the application.

Does that answer your comments?

Charles
May be a silly question, but did you install the HDHomeRun software on the WHS machine? What you stated above makes me think you installed the HDHomeRun software on the client. It should be installed on the WHS machine using RDP.

Just a thought.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Sage User

That was exactly the problem. Thank you! I am up and running now.

Before I go and make any more Noob mistakes, is there a manual for us whs folks? None of this was covered in the regular manual, and clearly, I need it explained to me!

Charles
Old 11-11-2009, 05:55 AM
SageTVaholic

You need to read up on WHS and what it is and how to use it. Other than installing SageTV as an add-on you treat WHS same as a PC that runs the SageTV service or the SageTV app as a server. (Which is in the manual) Tuners go in the SageTV PC (WHS or any other OS on a PC) and the drivers for the tuners are installed on the SageTV PC that has the tuners installed (WHS or any other PC being used as the SageTV server.) Other than installing it as a WHS add-in you follow the SageTV manual for how to run and configure Sage. You use your SageTV client to configure it. And you RDP into WHS to intall plugins or any other SageTV plugins for the server or extenders. Plugins also need to be installed into the SageTV client you want to run them on.

Gerry
Old 11-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
You need to read up on WHS and what it is and how to use it.
Gerry
Here is the first reading I got:
"You are logged on to the Windows Home Server desktop. Many standard Windows Server administration tools available from this desktop can break Windows Home Server.

Read the Release Documentation before you use any tool on this desktop and proceed with caution.

To avoid potential problems, use the Windows Home Server Console on a home computer. You can perform all administrative tasks using the Home Server Console."

Stepping behind the official interface of my HP EX series WHS takes a substantial leap of faith. Good money was spent for a product that worked out of the box and SageTV is asking that I risk that. From the advice in the larger forum, I have now done a number of things that I consider risky and as a result have a stable SageTV server for the first time in days that has not crashed within the first few hours. Here is what I have done:

Completed the loading of the SageTV server and HDHR on the WHS box using remote desktop
update, update, update, until there was no more
download the JRE upgrade and installed
install updated TSSplitter.ax and other components from Qian

I am grateful to the forum for the support. At the same time, SageTV is a product for sale, and will be more accepted in the marketplace when it works out of the box. I am still in my trial version and have gotten a few lessons on what I would really be really buying into. While this choice is less expensive and more functional that other retail equipment choices, it has consumed a great deal more of my time than I expected or like.

If the product remains stable over the balance of the trial period, I will certainly have a better attitude about spending the hundreds of dollars, but I will remain disappointed with the provider.

Thank you Gerry, rlvogel322 and Qian for all your help. Things are looking up