SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV Client running very slow

So I am trying to use SageTV client with a media PC I bought for it. The media PC is running Windows 7 home premium, has an AMD Phenom II X4 940, 4GBs of ram, and an onboard ATI Radeon HD 4200 GPU.

It is connecting to SageTV via cat6 gigabit ethernet, running with java heap set at 728MB (and BMT is showing its using way less than that but I have 16GBs of ram on that server).

It seems like my hardware should be tearing through SageTV. However, when I open or browse my media library, the little white circle keeps showing up for 3-18 seconds. If I page down, same thing. I do have a very large library of files, but it shouldn't be this slow, should it?

I am new to SageTV and this is my first try with SageTV client. On SageTV, the library zips by, I never even saw a single white circle. The machines are, currently, a few feet from each other so the cable run is very short, about 5 feet of cable between the media PC and the switch. I can copy a file from the server to the media PC at around 28MBps.

Any idea why SageTV client is so slow?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Are you running the default STV? What is the Java Heap set at on the CLIENT, and how much is IT using? Updated Video Drivers?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry, I though I hit everyting but I missed a few things.

Java heap on the client is 112MB/190MB/400MB (Used/total/max).

Running SageMC beta release 17 with phoenix 1.44.

I've tried using it with just the SagevMC v17 beta, without any stvis, for a day. Then yesterday with just the stock STV and nothing else, and the slowness is the same throughout.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've been watching some things and playing with STVi's and keeping an eye on the Java heap on the client and it never reached higher than 152MB. Yet its still loading my video library slowly.

The recorded TV library is super fast as is the image library. I haven't tried to load any music in SageTV yet because I don't have very much of that yet, I don't share my nephews taste in music, and all my music is on CDs and tapes. I will have to start converting them for computer use.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Sage User

Hey Lash .... I am having the exact same issue - everything else is working fine, but the video library takes forever to show, and the videos playback very jerky. SAGE recordings are playing ok. In my case, the Sage recordings are on a HDD on my server, while the video library is on a NAS (Dlink 323). I did lots of testing - to check if this is a NAS issue, but its not. While Sage server is running, access to any directory on the NAS is very slow, but as soon as I shut down the server, NAS access becomes fast again. From other PCs on my network NAS access is always fast.

I have been running Sage with video library on this NAS for several months without any issues. Issues started when I installed BMT and Phoenix a few weeks ago. I have not been able to figure out what BMT/Phoenix is doing, and how to uninstall it.

Still looking for help.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Sage Fanatic

Any updates?

I am considering upgrading my PVR with an AMD Phenom II X4 945 and Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard.

I currently have an Intel Pentium D dual core which was fast, but now is slow.

Last edited by joe123; 12-28-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Actually, this is one of the issues that had me looking elsewhere. I did get it sorted but it required that I not install the fanart STVi. Once the fanart STVi was installed browsing slowed. I did follow the instruction on disabling some of the fanart options and even tried disabling fanart all together but just having it installed caused the slowdown. Keep in mind I was experiencing this only on the SageTV client, on the main SageTV computer I didn't experience this at all.

On reinstall of SageTV a couple days ago, I now have a greater understanding of how these media center applications work after having been moving around these past couple of months. With this experience, I noticed that the issue is really caused by library/fanart library size. When I reinstalled SageTV, I started with a small library and there was no browsing slowdowns on the client. Once I restored my full SageTV wiz.bin and pointed fanart at my old fanart library (several thousand folders) browsing grinded down.

I'm going to give TVExplorer a try and see if that fixes my issue. Moviewall loads my movie library faster so maybe TVExplorer will as well.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

For mothbhai and anyone else experiencing this issue, I don't have a fix for this per se, but replacing the SageMC library system with TVExplorer and Sage Movie Wall does the trick. Both browse at quick speeds.

They do take a bit to load, but once its loaded browsing is top speed.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lash View Post
For mothbhai and anyone else experiencing this issue, I don't have a fix for this per se, but replacing the SageMC library system with TVExplorer and Sage Movie Wall does the trick. Both browse at quick speeds.

They do take a bit to load, but once its loaded browsing is top speed.
Under the default sage settings/customize/Inactivity Timeout what is your timeout setting? Change it to like 5 and see if that helps.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Under the default sage settings/customize/Inactivity Timeout what is your timeout setting? Change it to like 5 and see if that helps.
What does this do? That timeout option?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Joe123, its cuts down the amount of time SageTV waits for a response, I believe.

PluckyHD, thank you for the umpteenth time. You are rapidly becoming my personal hero.

When looking for a solution to this I did find threads that advised to change:

ui/inactivity_timeout_for_full_thumb_load=

I have set it to 0, to 1, to a dozen different numbers. I even tried -1. It didn't help, unfortunately. The only thing that helped was switching to your and razrsharpe's replacement plugins. I even had the problem with Bailo's serenity theme (the beta 2).