SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Utility: PVR Functionality - SageTV Interface to Lights-Out V1.0/1.5 on WHS V1 / 2011

I have written a small utility service that works with the Lights-Out V1.0 Add-in for Windows Home Server and it now also works with Lights-Out V1.5 Beta on both WHS V1 and WHS 2011.

UPDATES:

11 Mar 2011 - Added support for Lights-Out Beta 1.5 on Windows Home Server V1 and 2011.
27 Jan 2010 - Yet another correction to the improved/corrected algorithm introduced in STVLOS versions 1.0.0.30 & 1.0.0.32. Also included is an enhancement to the log file - if you choose a Log Mode of 'Full', the log file now shows a summary of the calendar events and associated recordings.
27 Jan 2010 - Correction to the improved/corrected algorithm introduced in STVLOS version 1.0.0.30 (the logic to ensure that the WHS doesn't hibernate/suspend if the WHS is running and the next scheduled recording is due within the time specified as the 'MinimumDowntime' didn't work correctly.)
23 Jan 2010 - New version with improved/corrected algorithm for determining required uptime (In some instances the WHS was being asked to resume earlier than required). Added additional instructions regarding LightsOut settings. STVLOS version now based lined at 1.0
21 Jan 2010 - Enhanced error checking, auto .ini file creation, logfile/backup file retention/deletion added, revised instructions (Version 0.1.0.25)
17 Jan 2010 - Corrected instructions (location of TaskList.xml file)
16 Jan 2010 - Corrected date handling to allow non-UK date formats
12 Jan 2010 - Corrected .ini file [was pointing at wrong location for TaskList.XML file]
09 Jan 2010 - Now available in downloads section: STVLOS

LightsOut is a Windows Home Server (WHS) Addin from Axonet software that enables you to specify when your WHS should hibernate / suspend. My utility service reads the SageTV recording schedule and updates the LightsOut calendar to ensure that the WHS remains up when TV programs are being recorded - This means that now my WHS can now be made to behave more like a conventional PVR.

The new licensed version of LightsOut can ensure that the WHS stays up if Client PCs or Extenders are active and to get the full benefit you will need the licensed version of LightsOut V1.0.

At the moment, I would consider the status of this utility to be Alpha given that I have only tested it on my WHS, it requires a manual install and it is tailored for my requirements ;-)

If anyone is interested, I will consider uploading it with instructions on how to use it

Last edited by logsvp; 03-18-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: New version (1.0.0.41) released
Old 12-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Sage User

I am very interested. I am running SageTV from a WHS box and I have an older version of LightsOut. It looks like I need to upgrade. I have been waiting for this feature!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshiek View Post
I am very interested. I am running SageTV from a WHS box and I have an older version of LightsOut. It looks like I need to upgrade. I have been waiting for this feature!
OK - I will try and sort something out over the next few days
Old 01-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Any update on this? I'd be interested...
Old 01-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Any update on this? I'd be interested...
You spurred me into action There was a slight delay because of the Christmas holiday and then the logic needed enhancing (correcting) for change of year

I have now uploaded it to the downloads section - see STVLOS.

Hope it proves useful
Old 01-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Sage User

Service stops right away

Thanks for the app, it looks promising.
When I start the service I get a message that says that the service started then stopped. then "Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do....
Any ideas?
Also my Tasklist.xml is not where your instructions for the .ini file indicated.
Mine is here
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LightsOut
So I changed the .ini file to that.
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

This does look good, i've always thought it a waste running my whs all night as it records very little during that time.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
... Any ideas?
Also my Tasklist.xml is not where your instructions for the .ini file indicated.
Mine is here
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LightsOut
So I changed the .ini file to that.
Thanks for your help.
Thanks for pointing out the error in the .ini file - I inadvertantly included the development version of the .ini file (Win 7) rather than the version for WHS. I have now uploaded the correction.

With regards to the error, I suspect it is because the service can't find the SageTV recording Schedule file. I have just run a test on this and get the symptoms you describe. An error should be posted in the Application event log (navigate to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Application). The last part of the error message will say 'The specified file was not found'. This is part of the minimal error checking - I will look at enhancing the checking in this area for the next version.

So to resolve this, check that the Recording Schedule file exists.

Another possibility is that the location of the TaskList.XML file is specified incorrectly in the .ini (i.e. your correction to my error). Double check against the latest download - the .ini file in the download is from my working WHS system.

Let me know how you get on and good luck
Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Sage User

Event Viewer message

I have recording_schedule.txt in the correct folder and the ini file is correct. here is the event viewer info. It seams to be a problem with a date/time element somewhere. The PC's time and date when I started the service was 9:24Pm on 1/14/2010 and when I started the service again a few minutes later I got the same error with the same date/time in the message.

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( STVLOS ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service failed on execute: ''14/01/2010 21:58:00'' is not a valid date and time.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
... Service failed on execute: ''14/01/2010 21:58:00'' is not a valid date and time.
I think I can guess what this is - I think it must be to do with the US date format being MM/DD/YYYY rather than the UK one which is DD/MM/YYYY - so my system takes the date as the 14th Jan 2010 while your system thinks it is the 1st of the 14th month 2010 (which of course doesn't exist and is invalid). Looks like I need to put some logic in to handle this - just as well I said it was Alpha code

I will work on a fix and post back here when I upload the correction
Client s/w : OS='Win8 X64', Apps='SageTV 7.1.9 Client (V7 STV)'
Extenders : 2 x HD300 (V7 STV)
Old 01-16-2010, 05:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have uploaded a new version that has (hopefully) corrected date handling to allow non-UK date formats
Old 01-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the update

I installed and seems to work great. I really appreciate the effort.
For any users that may need to switch versions, I found that I needed to un-register the service before I could copy the new exe file.
1. Open a command prompt
2. Navigate to the folder containing STVLOS.exe (C:\Program Files\STVLOS) and
enter "stvlos.exe /uninstall" (no quotes)
3. Copy STVLOS.exe to this folder
3. enter "stvlos.exe /install" (no quotes)

Last edited by GregW; 01-16-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm following this with interest since I have a WHS Sage server, but haven't yet tried to use LightsOut to manage power on it. My most heavily used clients are an HD100 and an old Hauppauge MediaMVP; does LightsOut play nicely with these devices? Can I configure the server to sleep in S3 and then awaken when the HD100 is powered up?
Old 01-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I'm following this with interest since I have a WHS Sage server, but haven't yet tried to use LightsOut to manage power on it. My most heavily used clients are an HD100 and an old Hauppauge MediaMVP; does LightsOut play nicely with these devices? Can I configure the server to sleep in S3 and then awaken when the HD100 is powered up?
AFAIK the HD100 can't wake up the WHS. I either start it manually by pressing the power button, using the Lights Out client that runs on a client PC or an App on my iPhone (AwakePlus) which wakes the WHS when you run it. LightsOut can hibernate the WHS by calendar but can be made to hold off the hibernate request if HD100s are turned on.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I installed and seems to work great. I really appreciate the effort.
I am glad it is now working for you :-)

I have spotted one other thing, the Service failing with an I/O error (in the system log) which I think may be to do with LightsOut and STVLOS trying to update the TaskList.XML file at the same time - I have only seen this once but the result was that the service stopped and it wasn't obvious until I double checked the Calendar. It would be worth double checking the LightsOut calendar is correct if you are recording something important that you don't want to lose

I will investigate this further to see if I can add some error handling for this so that the service doesn't stop
Old 01-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've followed the instructions and installed the software. Everything appears to install properly, but when I start the service, it starts and then stops immediately. Is this working as designed? (I'm guessing not). Might it have something to do with the fact that I'm still running LightsOut in evaluation, and have not yet purchased a license?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Is this working as designed?
At the moment the error checking is minimal An error should be posted in the Application event log (navigate to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Application). Look forSTVLOS and check what the last part of the message says - this may give a clue.

Have you downloaded the latest version - The first version only worked with UK dates - if you aren't from the UK this could cause a problem - the latest version corrected this (V 0.1.0.22). I am currently working on improved error checking which should make it easier to tell what problems are caused by.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, I'm using the latest version. Here's the event description, I'm afraid it's over my head:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( STVLOS ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service failed on execute: The specified file was not found.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Yes, I'm using the latest version. Here's the event description, I'm afraid it's over my head:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( STVLOS ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service failed on execute: The specified file was not found.
The key part is the message The specified file was not found.

Double check that you have got a Tasklist.xml file in folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LightsOut and that the .ini file has got the line LightsOut=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LightsOut\TaskList.xml. The ini file shipped with the latest version is correct but the initial one wasn't. I have also realised (after just checking) that the instructions specify the wrong location for this file

Also check that SageTV has created a recording schedule file and that the .ini file points at it - check the location and the line in the ini file e.g. SageTV=C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\recording_schedule.txt.

Hopefuly this will resolve the issue

Last edited by logsvp; 01-18-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 01-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

The files are there. Tried to start the service again, and it worked this time. No idea why it didn't before, but it seems to be resolved. Thanks!

Now if I could wake the server when I power on the HD100, we'd really have something. I do have a router running DD-WRT -- is there any way to achieve this functionality?