SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Sage Icon

Tuner Died, What are my Options?

I just had one of my PVR-250s die (SEEKER HAS DETECTED A HALT IN THE ENCODER...TRYING TO RESET IT). rebooting didn't solve the problem, so I assume it is dead . This brings up a few questions:

1) How do I know which physical card it is? I have three cards in the PC so is card #1 the first one that I installed? I ask this because Sage lists the card order as #2, #1, then #3. My installation process was to reboot after each was successfully installed into SageTV.

2) What is the best option for replacing it? All of mine are -16s and I really don't want to buy a WinTV-PVR-usb2.

and one issue:

Sage does not fail over to an available working card if it can not get a recorder to function properly (arg!).

For now, I have hooked the encoder of my PVR-350 into the server. It is a fallback position because I have had the Beta lock up hard (although not recently).
Old 04-11-2004, 05:05 PM
SageTVaholic

RMA with hauppauge
the cards have a two year warranty
Old 04-11-2004, 05:46 PM
SageTVaholic

You might try watching a show, see which tuner it shows up on and then physically disconnect your cable connection. This should allow you to figure out which card is which.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
RMA with hauppauge
the cards have a two year warranty
Where did you get this information? I have seached the Hauppauge site and cannot find any warranty information.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:25 PM
SageTVaholic

talked with and registered my card with them
call them and they will tell you that
in the USA I talked with Peter in hauppauge, NY
they are actually really cool about that stuff
post at SHSpvr.forum for more info
Tech Support:
phone: 631.434.3197
techsupport@hauppauge.com
Click here to visit our support page

also they just changed the website but I am sure that will not change the warranty

you have not done anything to it to void warranty have you???

just kidding
and be smart use the warranty
Old 04-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Sage Icon

AAARG!

I love computers . I removed my "non-functioning" PVR-250 from my server and plugged it into another PC to verify that it was dead. I installed the Hauppauge drivers and software and it worked without any problem. Because of this, I reinserted it into my SageTV server and, voila, it now works.

From this experience, I have learned two things: The minimum number of tuner cars that I can "live with" is three , and always verify the hardware is really not working first.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Sage Expert

I personally would still keep a close eye on it, sounds like it might be an intermittent failure, happened me a few years back with a PAL standard WinTV card, would work for a few days then stop, then reinstall everything and it would work again, finally one day it just stopped and never worked again.
Patrick
Old 04-19-2004, 06:19 PM
Sage Icon

I also may try to play "three card monty" with it if it fails again. If it is a thermal problem, I will move it to the other end of the PCI bus so that the tuner and encoder chip are not obscured by another tuner card.
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5