SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Sage User

HD200 Menu Speed Question

After another PC Server going pop I'm mulling over my options as far as my SageTV future goes. It is a pain to reinstall because it doesn't support UK Sky channel changing or EPG out of the box. So I either need to stop the servers blowing up or go use another system (like MCE) or even just move to Sky HD+ which has a slightly better EPG than before.

Anyhow. One option is to not use the server as our main interface to the TV. This should take a little load off of it and also enable me to move it somewhere a bit cooler (I think overheating in the TV Cab is probably a root cause of a lot of issues because other Servers I have built last donkey's years).

To do this I'd need to run something else on the main TV. So how fast are the HD200 menus in response to remote commands? I have the original MVP and although I recently fixed the speed a little it is still way too unresponsive for main TV use.

I guess I'll also take the opportunity to ask what ordering/delivery/feedback on usage is like from other UK users??
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 AM
SageTVaholic

1) I have no idea why you're blowing up servers, but that should be the first thing you figure out. An extender isn't likely to fix that issue.
2) If you keep backups of your system (or even just sageTV) then it should be trivial to restore Sage after something does go wrong.

I think you should figure out your "blowing up" problem before you go further, if you don't do that, not much is going to help.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
1) I have no idea why you're blowing up servers, but that should be the first thing you figure out. An extender isn't likely to fix that issue.
2) If you keep backups of your system (or even just sageTV) then it should be trivial to restore Sage after something does go wrong.

I think you should figure out your "blowing up" problem before you go further, if you don't do that, not much is going to help.
As I said it can only be overheating because I use the same kit in other servers and they have been fine.

This latest one was a failed PS fan which I fixed about a month back and now Windows locked up and refused to boot. I reinstalled 3 times and it went fine until video driver install when it again would lock up at the login prompt so I am assuming a power supply issue again.

It's running fine as just a server.

The solution IMO is to move it to a cooler environment which means I can't run a client on it.

So can anyone answer my questions?
Old 01-07-2010, 03:46 AM
Sage Expert

In my experience, the menu speed is about the same as a native client but will slow down if you have a low power CPU in the server. At first, I had a Shuttle PC with an Athlon XP 3200 in it and it was pretty snappy. But the fan noise got on my nerves, so I moved to a Tranquil PC with a Via 1.3Ghz CPU and the menus are noticeably slower (but preferable to the fan noise) The other thing I noticed, is that the resolution doesn't seem as sharp on the menus (previously the pc client was going into DVI input of a 32" panel, the HD200 now uses Component (panel does not have HDMI))

When it comes to playback though, I can' t tell the difference

Since all my TV inputs (aerial & satellite) come into my lounge I don't want the hassle of re-routing them elsewhere just so that I can move the server. Which is why I've got a quiet server in my TV cabinet (Its open fronted though)

Any use ?
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 AM
Sage Expert

As for ordering, I had mine sent to a friend in the US who shipped it over. Still had to pay duty/customs though - expect a card telling you to come collect it and you will have to pay ~£30. If they just deliver it without charging, consider it a bonus !

from a usage perspective, its excellent and far easier than messing around with video drivers, trying to get the client to suspend/resume etc and its also noiseless ! The downside for me is that it just hangs if it loses contact with the server (doesn't display any kind of error)

I doubt think anyone who has one regrets it...
Old 01-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewston View Post
In my experience, the menu speed is about the same as a native client but will slow down if you have a low power CPU in the server. At first, I had a Shuttle PC with an Athlon XP 3200 in it and it was pretty snappy. But the fan noise got on my nerves, so I moved to a Tranquil PC with a Via 1.3Ghz CPU and the menus are noticeably slower (but preferable to the fan noise)
If you display LOTS of fanart it is also marginally slower at menu navigation, but not enough for me to care about it.
Quote:
The other thing I noticed, is that the resolution doesn't seem as sharp on the menus (previously the pc client was going into DVI input of a 32" panel, the HD200 now uses Component (panel does not have HDMI))
thats because the UI resolution of the HD200 is 1/2 1080p so (960x540). Yes its annoying, Yes I hope sage changes it, No its not worth worrying about.
Quote:
Quote:
from a usage perspective, its excellent and far easier than messing around with video drivers, trying to get the client to suspend/resume etc and its also noiseless !
agreed. It just works.
Quote:
The downside for me is that it just hangs if it loses contact with the server (doesn't display any kind of error)
i dont have that problem. IIRC when the HD200 loses contact with the server it powers itself off and then just needs to be turned on again after the server is back up...

Quote:
I doubt think anyone who has one regrets it...
100% agree with that. Can't wait for the next iteration (whenever that will be )
Check out TVExplorer
Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Sage User

The speed of the UI is good for me as is the quality.
I'm hooked up over a powerline adapter. I tried using a wireless bridge for a while and the ui was a bit slower (video was also jumpy).

The biggest annoyance for me is when it locks up (and it does from time to time) it locks up hard and there is no hardwired on/off/reset switch so you have to unplug the power and plug it back in.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Sage User

Quote:
The other thing I noticed, is that the resolution doesn't seem as sharp on the menus (previously the pc client was going into DVI input of a 32" panel, the HD200 now uses Component (panel does not have HDMI))

Any use ?
Brewston,

This is off topic but have you tried a DVI to HDMI adapter? DVI uses the same digital signal as HDMI.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Sage User

Cheers all for the feedback. I will put an order in asap and a spare remote for the other half.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Brewston,

This is off topic but have you tried a DVI to HDMI adapter? DVI uses the same digital signal as HDMI.
sorry for hijacking the thread

No, I've not. I bought this Elonex PC/flatpanel (cheap on ebay) which has a PC bolted to the back... so the client -> panel connection is all internal. The LCD is failing now, so its about to be replaced by a regular TV