SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Very dissatisfied

The 10% of the time the thing actually works it's pretty cool.. but I'm sick of trying to make this work without it locking up or stuttering. I just downgraded from the latest beta (that I had gone to in hopes of getting rid of the stuttering issue) to the latest non-beta because after putting the beta firmware on the device it started locking up. I had to unplug it and reboot it. stutter stutter stutter.. cant watch anything. First I thought it might be the wireless.. but that is doing 108+, so it's not that. Now I wish I had not spent almost a $1000 to build a new Sage DVR.

The menus move like molasses too.

I dont recommend anyone buy one of these things.

Last edited by bclenney; 01-07-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Sage Icon

Are you using the HD100 or HD200?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Wireless will always give you troubles IMO. That tech is not mature enough for error-free HD playback.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit
Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk6 View Post
Wireless will always give you troubles IMO. That tech is not mature enough for error-free HD playback.
Then they shouldnt have a wireless option. I don't have ethernet in the room my TV is located in and wont any time soon.. that's why I bought the HD200 with the wireless USB adapter.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Sage User

Wireless, don't count on it. You say you are getting 108+?
How are you measuring it? You can't go by what the adapter says it's connecting at. You actual have to measure it.
If you can put a notebook using the same adapter in the same place (even a small change in location can make a difference) you can use something like this:

http://www.ixchariot.com/products/da...ts/qcheck.html

The problem is the speed may look good at one moment, then drop, then jump up again.

I had better luck with a powerline adapter, but even before that hardwire it and see if the issues go away.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Sage Icon

Wireless is just one of those things… It works for some and not for others… Depending on configuration and home layout/building materials wireless signals can vary and be sporadic. Have you tested the HD200 in a hard wired scenario? I would look at doing ethernet of coax or power line rather than beat yourself up with wireless woes.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclenney View Post
Then they shouldnt have a wireless option. I don't have ethernet in the room my TV is located in and wont any time soon.. that's why I bought the HD200 with the wireless USB adapter.
See the problem with statements like this, is that when the HD200 came out, everyone was screaming that they needed a wireless option. So Sage comes out with an option and then people realize how poor/finicky wireless truly is and now scream about how wireless shouldn't be an option.

This was a lot of the same issue with the wireless MediaMVP's. Everyone wanted them, then bought them and hated them (although in that case the wireless "card" in them was very poor so that was half the issue). As stated, so many things cause issues with playback via wireless.

Have you tried different wireless channels? You are probably getting a lot of interference.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
First I thought it might be the wireless.. but that is doing 108+, so it's not that.
First things first. Move the unit near a wired port and try it there. If it works, its your network. IMO wifi is not up to the task, I'd use something like this in your situation: http://netgear.com/Products/Powerlin...s/XAVB101.aspx
SageTV 6.6.2|SageMC 6.3.9b_24 (clients)|
3x HD-PVR (FiOS) - Firewire Tuning|1x HDHomeRun
Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've had good luck with this device that sends ethernet through your coax.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product
Old 01-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Running a piece of CAT 5e under the baseboard, or in the walls for that matter, is not hard and makes for a much more reliable extender implementation. If you have skills to "downgrade firmware" in you device, surely you can figure out how to pull $15 worth of CAT 5e from one room to the next.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
First I thought it might be the wireless.. but that is doing 108+, so it's not that.
How did you conclude that it is running at 108mbits/sec?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

I did use the Netgear Wireless AP nad bridge setup with sucesss (FOR SD) and hickups and stops on HD. I now use the Belkin Powerline adapters and can play see SD and HD content without problems. The issue might be your wireless network acting up. Wireless connectivity is tricky to say the least!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Don't blame sageTV for your network or setup failures. There are thousands who run this software and hardware flawlessly. If the HD200 is broke, contact SageTV and they will replace it with one that isn't.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Pulling ethernet in my house is not an simple job and something I wanted to avoid - finished basement, hard to access attic, etc. I went with the Wireless N option since it was available. I figured I'd been internet streaming to my old SageTV server without issues so it would not be an issue for the HD200. I was obviously wrong. Thanks to everyone for the tips. I'll look into other options. After spending hundreds of dollars on the wireless equipment, I was just expecting better. Live and learn.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Sage Icon

try getting a wireless N signal booster/repeater or one of the power line networking solutions.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, when I started this I initially was going to go with the powerline option, but reviews were all over the place if the two nodes were not on the same power circuit (which these would not be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
try getting a wireless N signal booster/repeater or one of the power line networking solutions.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Go with the simple test. Lay down a cable temporarily to see if it is the network or something else. If network then try to make wireless better, move the box upstairs or just closer to see what happens. You can easily find out where the problem is before jumping on fixes that might not help. I would think that N is fast enough but who knows about your combination.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Don't waste your time with powerline adaptors. I have the MOCA device linked above on order. I'll let you know how it works.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit
Old 01-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingisson View Post
Go with the simple test. Lay down a cable temporarily to see if it is the network or something else. If network then try to make wireless better, move the box upstairs or just closer to see what happens. You can easily find out where the problem is before jumping on fixes that might not help. I would think that N is fast enough but who knows about your combination.
+1 to this. Don't waste any more time without getting some hard facts.

You think you are upset now, how are you going to feel when you lay cable (or do something else) and then find out that it WASN'T actually the wireless.

Be methodical and do a couple of tests with a cable. Save yourself the possible headaches.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Pulling ethernet in my house is not an simple job and something I wanted to avoid - finished basement, hard to access attic, etc. I went with the Wireless N option since it was available. I figured I'd been internet streaming to my old SageTV server without issues so it would not be an issue for the HD200. I was obviously wrong. Thanks to everyone for the tips. I'll look into other options. After spending hundreds of dollars on the wireless equipment, I was just expecting better. Live and learn.
How far have you gone into troubleshooting the wireless connection?

Have you tried monitoring what other nearby wireless networks are on air to see if there could be interference and thus switch to a different frequency?

How far is the HD200 from the Router and what type of walls are in between? From your msgs it seems your server/router are in the basement and the HD200 is at least a couple of floors up. It could be as simple as moving your router around the basement.

Are you getting the same problems if the HD200 is within the same room as the router?