SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Sage Icon

Utility: AnyDVD Rip Wrapper

Hi All,
I recently needed to re-rip all of my DVDs and got tired of not being able to rip a DVD from the command line or more of a one-click (sorta) GUI.

Presenting my latest project spawned of boredom: AnyDVD Rip Wrapper

AnyDVD does the heavy lifting (decryption), this tool just automates it.

In the download section:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=360

Google Code page:
http://code.google.com/p/anydvd-rip-wrapper/

Source is in the project's SVN repo. I'm still working out some little things nagging at me and need to test it a little more, but my earlier versions have successfully ripped over 100 DVDs in Windows 7 64-bit.

Last edited by KJake; 02-12-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:57 AM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks for sharing this utility.

However, it does not seem to be working for me. When I run it, it detects the dvd in the drive and then I specify the location. Once I hit ok, it takes about 5 seconds and it says the rip is done. However, there is nothing in the directory and there is no way it can complete that fast.

Am I doing something wrong?

Update: I gave it a go via the command line and I am getting the same result.

Last edited by Peter_h; 02-13-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Sage Icon

hi Peter_h, it is quite likely that you're not doing anything wrong!

I just haven't been able to test this on any other systems than mine and perhaps I overlooked something when trying to genericize my paths and procedures.

Couple of things to try:
* Try seeing if it works when you select Full DVD instead of either of the other options; assuming you weren't already trying Full DVD...
* Try a different DVD; I have run into 1 DVD, so far, out of my collection that had a badly formed title structure and AnyDVD couldn't understand it.

If those don't work, I can work on putting together a debug version to see if that helps.

Also, I'm testing this with AnyDVD HD 6.6.0.9, maybe check to see that you're up-to-date.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Sage Icon

Release 0.9.15

Version 0.9.15 Released

Direct Download:
http://anydvd-rip-wrapper.googlecode...t/auto_dvd.exe

Release Notes/Changes:
Notes:
1) Please notice that the command-line options have changed in syntax

Bugs Fixed:
1) Browse dialog won't always default back to Desktop anymore in the same session
2) Cancelling the Browse dialog won't clear the Target Folder anymore
3) "Main Movie Only" is now set by default in the GUI like on the command line
4) Optional command-line flags; no longer need a specific order to work correctly
4) Optional command-line flags; no longer need to be in all uppers to work correctly
5) When run from the command-line, Message Box errors are printed on the command-line

New Features:
1) Use /BATCH on the command-line to set a 10 second time-out for graphical message boxes

Misc:
1) Cleaned up the console Usage text
2) Command-line options are more like normal DOS-type flags
3) Included AutoItWrapper directives to make compiling easier for others
Old 02-13-2010, 04:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Haven't really used this particular tool yet, but Is there a compelling reason to use AnyDVD to do the ripping, as opposed to just copying the files from the drive (with AnyDVD enabled, of course).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJake View Post
hi Peter_h, it is quite likely that you're not doing anything wrong!

I just haven't been able to test this on any other systems than mine and perhaps I overlooked something when trying to genericize my paths and procedures.

Couple of things to try:
* Try seeing if it works when you select Full DVD instead of either of the other options; assuming you weren't already trying Full DVD...
* Try a different DVD; I have run into 1 DVD, so far, out of my collection that had a badly formed title structure and AnyDVD couldn't understand it.

If those don't work, I can work on putting together a debug version to see if that helps.

Also, I'm testing this with AnyDVD HD 6.6.0.9, maybe check to see that you're up-to-date.
KJake. I downloaded your latest update and I'm still having the same problem.

I am running AnyDVDHD 6.6.09. I am selecting Full DVD from both the gui and the command line.

I tried a few different DVD's all with the same result. I am able to right click on the anydvd tray icon and select "Rip Video DVD to hard disc..." and it will work properly so I don't think the problem is with anydvd or the dvd in the drive.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 02-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thought I'd try this as I saw Peter having problems.

I have the same issue too.

The screenshot below shows whats coming up on the screen.

The progress bar appears but straight away the "Rip Done!" message appears before the progress bar even starts.

My machines running XP Home and AnyDVD 6.6.0.9.

Not sure if this will help debug or not.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

That is exactly what I am seeing.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Haven't really used this particular tool yet, but Is there a compelling reason to use AnyDVD to do the ripping, as opposed to just copying the files from the drive (with AnyDVD enabled, of course).
There's not really, unless you want to copy only the main movie or the main movie with menus. This will fix the title structure (IFO) files for you.

There are other tools out there that do all of this, I just made this for myself so that I could load all of my DVDs into a 200-disc changer that I borrowed and have the main movie copied from all of them with the push of a button.

After I got so far with it, I decided that others might find it useful, so I slapped a GUI on it with some better logic, etc and posted it.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I have the same issue too.
hey guys, sounds like I need to get an XP system to test this on. My wife's PC still has XP; I'll see what I can figure out!

Last edited by KJake; 02-14-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Sage Icon

Release 0.9.17

Hi All,
I've tested the previous version on my Wife's XP system with a fresh installation of AnyDVD (trial) and it all worked, so there must be something else going on. To help, I've added more error checking and feedback for the errors to see if the problem is common, or if we can at least get closer to an answer.

For doc and Peter_h, it looks like there is a problem running TCClone, so I've done the most amount of work there in trying to capture what's happening.

Direct Download:

Full Diff:
http://code.google.com/p/anydvd-rip-...c/auto_dvd.au3

Changes:
1) Added a lot of additional error checking
2) Tested on Win 7 and XP MCE

1) Forcing a few serious error messages to be graphical message boxes since they are checking on things before the main GUI is created.
2) Changed when/how AnyTool and TCClone are extracted.
3) Changed how TCClone PID is checked and attempt to show the user an error message if it fails to run.
4) Consolidated Progress checking code to use a single concept
5) Attempting to notify the user if TCClone crashes during the rip
Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

That gives a much better error message

I'm guessing the --output path needs to be in quotes maybe?

The DVD was for Spiderman 3

Last edited by doc; 02-14-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
hey guys, sounds like I need to get an XP system to test this on. My wife's PC still has XP; I'll see what I can figure out!
I'm actually attempting to use this on Windows Home Server.

On a related note, would there be a way to modify this to work over the network? The reason for this is, the server is the only machine with a blu-ray drive. Rather than Remote Desktop into the server, it would be nice to launch this utility from my workstation or the wifes for that matter and have it apply settings and rip on the server.

-Peter

Last edited by Peter_h; 02-14-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

Update:

The new release looks to be making progress. I am getting the same error as Doc. However, it goes through 99% of the rip and then crashes. Before, it crashed as soon as it started.

Please see attachement.
Attached Images
File Type: png auto_dvd crash.png (177.8 KB, 266 views)
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I'm guessing the --output path needs to be in quotes maybe?
Oh my goodness, I feel so dumb for missing that this whole time! This is fixed in the download now (0.9.18).

FYI, something that I didn't document well is that since I was using this to rip all of my DVDs en masse, the Target Path is actually a base path where you save all of your DVDs. For example, mine is S:\Videos\FullDVDs - then the program puts the DVD into a folder under that base path. It uses the DVDs label as the folder name, which is usually something close to the movie name. There is logic however, to generate a new folder name if it already exists.

I will probably change this behavior in the future; where Target Path is the actual path that you want to save the DVD into, but if you use the /BATCH flag on the commandline then it will revert back the current method (DVD label).
Old 02-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_h View Post
Update:

The new release looks to be making progress. I am getting the same error as Doc. However, it goes through 99% of the rip and then crashes. Before, it crashed as soon as it started.

Please see attachement.
Looking into this now. I have a feeling that the code that I added to detect a crash may not be working right. I may rip it out and have you test it that way and see if it completes.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'm actually attempting to use this on Windows Home Server.

On a related note, would there be a way to modify this to work over the network? The reason for this is, the server is the only machine with a blu-ray drive. Rather than Remote Desktop into the server, it would be nice to launch this utility from my workstation or the wifes for that matter and have it apply settings and rip on the server.

-Peter
Does this work for Bluray Movies? If so, that's totally awesome! I haven't even bothered to try that yet!

To do what you suggest would be cool, though not entirely easy. I may consider it after I think the current version is stable. If I understand you though, I would have to turn this into a service that would be installed on your WHS server, then when you run the program on a workstation, it would have to know the server's name/ip and communicate with it. Not saying that it is over my head, but it would take a bit to implement.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Update:

Please see attachement.
Yup, this was the crash detection code failing itself. I've removed it and the latest download 0.9.19 should hopefully completely work for you now.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Sage Icon

Release 0.9.19

Another release to fix some issues. I think this will solve the problems - maybe even enough to call this a 1.0 release soon?

Direct Download:

Full Diff:
http://code.google.com/p/anydvd-rip-...c/auto_dvd.au3

Changes:

Removed crash detection code

Target path works with spaces now
Old 02-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Does this work for Bluray Movies? If so, that's totally awesome! I haven't even bothered to try that yet!
To answer my own question, no this doesn't work with BR movies. AnyDVD's tool only works with DVDs.

Peter_h, does this negate the need for you to run this directly on your WHS server? I rip my DVDs from my Desktop to a mapped drive that is mapped to my Linux NAS box - so, in that way, it does save to the network.