SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Sage Icon

I am truly sorry to hear this, but I fully understand. I'm really hoping that this isn't a sign that jambien and plucky are leaving the Sage family entirely. Even without your generous contributions on the plugin front you two have been fantastic members of the community.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Sage Expert

I wouldn't consider Ortus dead and defunct. There is a lot of work involved in working on a project like this, and sometimes life just gets in the way and slows you down. There are still many pieces of Ortus that are mostly developed and just need some more work and testing so you will at some point see additional plugins released from Ortus...

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphipps View Post
I wouldn't consider Ortus dead and defunct. There is a lot of work involved in working on a project like this, and sometimes life just gets in the way and slows you down. There are still many pieces of Ortus that are mostly developed and just need some more work and testing so you will at some point see additional plugins released from Ortus...

Thanks,
Jeff
So instead of releasing a full STV, you will most likely be breaking the functionality of Ortus, into separate STVIs/plugins? Sounds good to me.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Sounds like that was the plan the whole time, which is how we wound up with the trailers plug-in. It's definitely better to have "modules" which fit together, but aren't dependent, so that people can choose what they want and the devs don't break one thing while changing something else (see SageMC ).
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Sage Expert

We did think that going away from the full STV and going to individual plugins was the best way to go, but I think that was our undoing... We probably had about 80-90% of the full STV done and functioning, but figured the drawback to the standalone STV, was that no other plugin would really work with it. But once we moved over to try to make individual plugins, it pretty much broke everything we had tested for the past year and was like starting over.. Not a very good moral booster.

We will probably have to look over what we have and see what is the best direction to go. I would rather see something good come out that has limited add-ons as apposed to never ending screenshots..

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 AM
SageTVaholic

I've always agreed with the 'Plugins on top of default' approach. With the new plugin system, this is even more important. I'd much rather see a plugin that, say, replaces the main menu i the default stv, than a completely separate stv that includes a new menu.. make sense?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Sage Expert

I totally agree with them being plugins.. The issue with the ortus code, is that it was started on v6 and then upgraded/changed to utilize the v7 features so to change it all to use the v7 default stv is a major change in the code. We already have several plugins partially done in various stages for the default UI, including a new main menu, media screen, weather screen but just need some time to finish them up..One of the big features we had pretty much fully working in the standalone UI was a user account system and having the playbeack and settings custom per user. Trying to re-write all of that to make the default ui work that way would be a big task, and probably break a bunch of other plugins...

Depending on the stage of each one, they will probably all reach the light of day ( one day..)

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

After thinking about it, it does make more sense to build on top of the default STV rather than develop a whole new one, which probably won't be compatible with existing plugins. I look forward to seeing what Ortus releases in the future.

Tony
Old 10-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Sage Icon

You could always release the "customizable menus" portion of the work first.

(mandatory plug, had to be done)
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
You could always release the "customizable menus" portion of the work first.

(mandatory plug, had to be done)
If it was done it would be....
Old 10-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
It is done and it could be........
Old 10-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
{GASP!!!!} WHA-WHA-WHAT???
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
Hehe.. nice

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Sorry, but I should have clarified...... just because its done and could be released doesn't mean it will be, not by me anyway. As I said above "I'm out".
Old 10-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Unhappy

Sigh..

unsubscribes from thread

Old 10-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Sage Expert

Dont worry, the main menu plugin is one that will be released... Just can't give you a firm date... I know people don't like screens shots, so I promise.. I won't post anything until it is released...

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sorry to hear about this. I was really looking forward to seeing the results of your labors. I have to say that I loved the aesthetic of your design. I really do feel like the plugin route was the most effective way to go to reduce STV fragmentation. I'm sorry to hear that it resulted in a lot of tedious rework. I hope to see more of those finished plugins in the future.

Trailers is an awesome plugin that I use all the time. If this was indicative of the kinds of plugins that we may see in the future then I am excited and hopeful.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Sage Icon

It's nice to know that pieces will be coming out. I'm really sorry to hear about the user based controls. I really hope that Sage will take that one on themselves. It's one thing that I would really get excited for.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
About time you guys realized that is simply impossible to improve on the default sage7 UI. ;-)
I personally believe that the old SageMC UI is still superior to the Sage7 default and I doubt that I am the only one that feels that way. I have been running it on top of Sage 7 for the last several months and will likely continue to do so until one of these new UIs come out and I decide what path tp take in the future to ensure the best WAF and the best UI.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Since I'm not sure who is still active on the ortus project I wanted to post an issue I've been having. For some reason installing the ortus api causes very odd video playback issues on my system. I've sent in bug reports to sage and they have gotten most of them to go away, but ortus api still causes the issue. Basically what happens is that the file will play, but it is either with no video or it pauses at the beginning and never continues. I'll upload a log when I get home I just wanted to see if you guys have seen the api cause any weirdness.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.