SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

This looks really really interesting. Taking any beta-testers?

One thing that I'd like to see is a better organization of the settings menus. In both the stock STV and SageMC, it's not clear which settings effect just the extender / placeshifter / client that you're viewing from and which effect the whole server.

How will this look on SD displays? Not all of us have HD yet...

How does a watcher identify themselves to allocate the correct "watched" icons?

Are you adding any concept of "smart playlists"? Or at least the ability to back up playlists that are made in SageTV?

Thanks.

Todd
Old 03-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

looks very cool. kind of reminds me of some of the great XMBC skins with a ton of functionality underneath.

Keep up the good work!
Twitter: ohpleaseno
Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 PM

whoa pretty cool, you guys used the cover profile i made for the my movies cover profile contest, thats awesome, you guys are more than welcome in using it too i think its awesome for my work to be used
Old 03-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylisticz View Post
whoa pretty cool, you guys used the cover profile i made for the my movies cover profile contest, thats awesome, you guys are more than welcome in using it too i think its awesome for my work to be used
Cool, its my favorite cover style, if you fancy making some more for other media types please feel free to contact me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchapin View Post
One thing that I'd like to see is a better organization of the settings menus. In both the stock STV and SageMC, it's not clear which settings effect just the extender / placeshifter / client that you're viewing from and which effect the whole server.

How will this look on SD displays? Not all of us have HD yet...

How does a watcher identify themselves to allocate the correct "watched" icons?

Are you adding any concept of "smart playlists"? Or at least the ability to back up playlists that are made in SageTV?
The settings are pretty much the same..... default Sage settings are setup via the default UI and Ortus settings are setup via Ortus....not much point in changing that to be honest.

I can't say how it looks on SD TV's..... I dont actually own one anymore.

The watched system is run via a user loggin system. There is a default user if you don't fancy this.

Your "smart playlist's" sounds intresting can you expand on this? Perhaps send me or another team member a PM outlining what your idea's are.

Cheers

Ben
Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
Cool, its my favorite cover style, if you fancy making some more for other media types please feel free to contact me.
PLease it for mymovies native as the others so the mymovies stvi can still benefit from this as well
Old 03-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

The interface looks great, I think I might even be able to pry my wife away from default STV for this. (and, really, that's what it's all about )

Two things:
1) I admittedly have not been keeping up with this forum recently, but what's the "Team Ortus" deal, what thread(s) did it spring from? Is this thread (in which I am posting) a spin-off from another where I can read more background as to what/why brought this about? Thanks.

2) Any chance that there might be other EPG views available? I can see my wife (and frankly, me) going for all the other GUI aspects, but a grid-type EPG (versus the Tivo-type one indicated on the first page of this thread) might be a deal breaker.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Is this thread (in which I am posting) a spin-off from another where I can read more background as to what/why brought this about? Thanks.
There's some discussion here:
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&postcount=481
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Quote:
1) I admittedly have not been keeping up with this forum recently, but what's the "Team Ortus" deal, what thread(s) did it spring from? Is this thread (in which I am posting) a spin-off from another where I can read more background as to what/why brought this about? Thanks.
Not really, its been in development for just under a year now and I guess we've settled on the final design with most screens more or less working. There is no more info other than what you read in this thread....if you do read something else its probably out dated and wrong.

Quote:
2) Any chance that there might be other EPG views available? I can see my wife (and frankly, me) going for all the other GUI aspects, but a grid-type EPG (versus the Tivo-type one indicated on the first page of this thread) might be a deal breaker.
At this stage no.....its Tivo style all the way. I too was sceptical at first having never used or seen it before but like everything it just takes a little getting used to.

Cheers

Ben
Old 03-04-2010, 01:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Ack! That was actually one of the few "features" I never cared for or used with any of my Tivo units. I always used the grid-style guide. Granted, I rarely use the guide at all and just search for everything, so this probably isn't all that big of a deal.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 03-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Love the clean, elegant look. All the info we need without looking cluttered (the screens you show almost look spacious). I have to admit, not a big fan of the Tivo EPG either, but if Team Ortus puts its touch on it just like they did for the other screens, then I bet it will be something to look forward to.

Keep up the great work! Let me know if I can help in any way. That way I won't feel so bad when I end up using it and getting all the accolades when someone admires my setup
Old 03-04-2010, 02:53 PM
SageTVaholic

I agree with the Tivo guide, only in that it minimizes the amount of info on the screen at any given time, which seems to go along with the rest of the ortus theming. It just matches the rest better than a full grid would. Even if it a little harder to use, most don't even USE the guide in sage.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

I use the grid guide all the time when browsing movies(and sometimes shows). If I see something that is going to start in like 20 minutes I can busy myself for those 20 minutes waiting for it to come on.

Also, searching for sports using the grid guide is simple, search with no keyboard is painful.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
Ah, SageMC. I wondered if it came from there, since I don't use MC and have not been in that forum....

Glad to see I am not the only one who prefers grid-style EPG... though I am surprised at those of you who say you just "search" for what you are looking for... with an extender, that seems tedious, having to "type" out search terms. Plus, if I know something is on, I'll have already set it to record. I use the grid for surfing for something unplanned. My two reasons for liking the grid are:
1) You can see what shows are on opposite each other - several at once, how long they last, how they overlap (several shows on one channel vs. several on another channel), etc. I find this helps in avoiding conflicts with tuners and such, when deciding what I want to watch.
2) Often I like to just surf around and see what is on, especially if I am looking to watch, say, college football on a Saturday afternoon. I find it easier to just scroll through the grid and look for all the games and see who is playing, and choose one... rather than having to scroll around and try to pick out all the games amongst every channel. But regardless of whether I have something I want to watch or not, I like so see (visually) how far into a show I am, and/or how much time is left, which is often a big factor in what I choose. But if shows are just a line item, you actually have to choose each one to see the duration, when it started, etc. You know, you actually have to think about it.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ah, SageMC. I wondered if it came from there, since I don't use MC and have not been in that forum....

Glad to see I am not the only one who prefers grid-style EPG... though I am surprised at those of you who say you just "search" for what you are looking for... with an extender, that seems tedious, having to "type" out search terms. Plus, if I know something is on, I'll have already set it to record. I use the grid for surfing for something unplanned. My two reasons for liking the grid are:
1) You can see what shows are on opposite each other - several at once, how long they last, how they overlap (several shows on one channel vs. several on another channel), etc. I find this helps in avoiding conflicts with tuners and such, when deciding what I want to watch.
2) Often I like to just surf around and see what is on, especially if I am looking to watch, say, college football on a Saturday afternoon. I find it easier to just scroll through the grid and look for all the games and see who is playing, and choose one... rather than having to scroll around and try to pick out all the games amongst every channel. But regardless of whether I have something I want to watch or not, I like so see (visually) how far into a show I am, and/or how much time is left, which is often a big factor in what I choose. But if shows are just a line item, you actually have to choose each one to see the duration, when it started, etc. You know, you actually have to think about it.
i think you've pointed out why I don't use the guide anymore. Though, honestly, I don't really search much either. I've gotten my system to a point where there really aren't any conflicts. And I never need to 'surf' because I've always got quite an impressive backlog of unwatched shows.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
... I am surprised at those of you who say you just "search" for what you are looking for... with an extender, that seems tedious, having to "type" out search terms.
I have no idea whether this is a default STV only thing or not, but I don't have a problem searching for airings on an extender -- using the hidden feature's One Touch Numeric Text Input, just type the text pressing 1 number for each letter in the search term; there are no multiple presses to get to the exact letter you want. Maybe they will include that entry method here too.

For those who like the non-grid guide view & want to use it now, the malore custom menus can have 3 different 2-column guides configured with multiple views for each. As far as I know, that has been converted to a SageMC import.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Exactly as Fuzzy said, I have 2 HD-PVRs and 4 OTA tuners, so conflicts pretty much never happen... exactly as I intended. As far as the searching goes, it's not so much typing things in as much as searching for "types" of things. Every so often I search for movies to see if I've missed anything. Without a Netflix subscription, we often don't catch movies for a year or so after they were in the theater. This is how we finally catch them.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 03-04-2010, 05:57 PM
SageTVaholic

I find the Malore Custom Menus perfect for searching for upcoming movies. Schedule Recordings -> Extra: Custom Menues -> Upcoming Movies -> Group by: Category

EDIT: Sorry for taking this off topic Ortusites.. But it is good for you to see/hear how other's use their systems.. ;-)

Old 03-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Sage Expert

A grid guide would not be that difficult to put in, the menu's are dynamic. Depending on feed back we may put the 2 styles of guides in so a user can pick the type of guide to use. Actually we could tie that into the user account mechanism to allow a per user view of the guide...

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-04-2010, 06:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Love what I see so far - awesome work guys.

I like the TiVo style guide, but the wife says the grid is a requirement for our TV.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Sage Icon

User account mechanism?????? That would be absolutely awesome. Please tell us more.