SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Sage Icon

Where are system messages stored?

Occasionally, I get system messages, such as "Halt Detected in Recording", or "Capture Device Failure" from my HD-PVR.

I can see the error messages in the GUI. Is there a place where the messages are logged into a text file? If the messages are logged into a text file, I can have a script detect the error messages and trigger a power cycle of the HD-PVR to reset the HD-PVR.

Maybe there's a longer term fix, such as installing a cooling fan in the HD-PVR. However, I'm looking for a way to detect the system error in the HD-PVR. If the message is in the text file, it wouldn't be that hard to make the HD-PVR power cycle.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HD-PVR errors.JPG (53.1 KB, 210 views)
Old 03-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Sage Icon

i believe they are output to the sagetv_0.txt log file (if logging is enabled). The other (more robust) alternative is to setup SJQ. It will recognize system messages and if they meet other criteria (like contains "HD-PVR" and "error") it can execute an external program (which would reset the hdpvr) ... This is what I'm planning on setting up but i need to get some hardware first to powercycle the hdpvr.
Check out TVExplorer
Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 AM
SageTVaholic

I expect they're stored in the Wiz.bin database like everything else. Wherever they are, they're accessible through the SageTV API, which in turn is accessible from script or through web requests using various third-party add-ons.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the responses. It looks I have motivation to install and learn Sage Job Queue to have automatic HD-PVR power cycling. The actual power cycling isn't very hard. I have an old magazine article that covers how to interface a printer port I/O to control external devices. I don't have a printer port on the newer computers, but I think I can buy a PCI card that has a printer port on it.

The SJQ will also come in handy for selectively comskipping programs.

Dave
Old 03-13-2010, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

As per the releases notes of 6.5.17....

Quote:
9. Added SystemMessage support. These messages are saved to the sagetvmsgs.log file for persistence. They are displayed in the UI (Setup->Help->System Messages) and are intended to handle special failure cases, error messages, warnings and status messages that may otherwise be supressed from the user.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Sage Expert

Someone on this forum has already done this (automated the HD-PVR reset); I remember the discussion/posts but am too lazy to search myself. You might look for it though.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Sage User

Click on the link below and scroll down a little bit. erik3a details how he power cycled the HD-PVR using SageAlert. This may be a better solution than SJQ because I think SageAlert polls the system messages more frequently.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...t=44056&page=5
Old 03-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

As indicated above I use SageAlert to detect HDPVR lockups and reset it.
Since writing the various bat files to do that I also downgraded the HDPVR drivers and boths my units have been stable ever since, so I the automated scripts aren't really needed anymore.

I haven't had a lock-up since then, end of October. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Eric
Old 03-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3a View Post
As indicated above I use SageAlert to detect HDPVR lockups and reset it.
Since writing the various bat files to do that I also downgraded the HDPVR drivers and boths my units have been stable ever since, so I the automated scripts aren't really needed anymore.

I haven't had a lock-up since then, end of October. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Eric
That's a very good track record for a HD-PVR. The occasional lockups are so annoying. I have a fan that I plan to install in the HD-PVR to hopefully help the unit be more reliable. I was also planning on setting up an automated reset. It looks like using the SageAlert might be the best method for that. Does the SageAlert have a text file output that I could use to trigger a reset? I would scrape a text file to trigger a reset than use Growl and other programs. Which driver version are you using to avoid HD-PVR lockups?

Dave

Last edited by davephan; 03-18-2010 at 04:11 PM.