SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

View Poll Results: Do you want to see Cablecard support in SagtTV?
No, I could care less 32 21.33%
Yes, but only if it is free 22 14.67%
Yes, and I would be willing to pay small premium for the feature. 96 64.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingCrown View Post
At newegg, the Windows Home premium System Builder is only $99, just a FYI ... Not too much different if you add on $20 to the base sage purchase.
That's not a particularly fair comparison. The OEM versions of Windows don't include support from Microsoft. When you buy Sage you get pro support from Sage.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Retail support from MS is nowhere near as good as Sage though
Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've never called MS or Sage for tech support. I was not really including that aspect of the products in my statement. And since you need Win 7 to use cablecard, and since win7 has Media Center, there is a limitation to how much on top of that I'd be willing to spend to continue to use Sage.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sage and the forums here are some of the best I've experienced (Kicks the greenbutton forum in the a$$), but if I am buying a ceton tuner, win7 it might be a tough sell to tack another $100 for Sage.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 PM
SageTVaholic

I think we should find a new dead horse to beat.

Where is the PCIe dish network card that was supposed to come out years ago? Or the directv version?

All kidding aside, this will not affect sagetv in any way. The ceaton card everyone is so amped up about has been delayed again due to approval from who knows where. I haven't seen anything about a release date for the hdhr prime (yep, that's what the cc part is called) as it is still in beta testing phase.

I would hate to invest in a cc solution anyway because my only choice is time warner (hello copy once). Even verizon is messing with their customers.

No cable card for me. I'd rather not waste money on a solution that even the government thinks is obsolete.

Now then. I'm going to take my dead horse paste to the glue factory...
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well put panteragstk
Old 06-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
No, early days of QAM, you'd often hear reports of people getting almost everything clear (you'd hear reports of nothing at all clear too). But as time has gone one, they've generally all converged to just a few channels being clear.

I expect the same to hold true with CCI flagging. Once the cable companies/content owners realize that content is no longer "Safe" with cablecard, I expect CCI to be locked down just like clear QAM.
i used to get everything clearqam from comcast.............when they changed,
i had no reason to stay with them and moved to fios
Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 PM
SageTVaholic

I wonder how much total it would cost SageTV to get CableLabs Certification & then build in CableCard support to SageTV & the extenders. It must be a lot or they would have done it already right?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I wonder how much total it would cost SageTV to get CableLabs Certification & then build in CableCard support to SageTV & the extenders. It must be a lot or they would have done it already right?
I once looked into getting certification for a pc when it was oem only and I the fee was very large. ( I would be pissed if I had done it now that any pc can be compliant.) I think in this case thought they would be better of an cheaper paying for rights o microsoft's decoder which already is cable card compliant. That is my guess.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Not sure if MS would allow that (rights to MS decoder)... And I think it requires more than that anyway. I think SageTV would have to get CableLabs cert for any software and hardware device. Not sure though.

Anyway, it appears that SiliconDust is applying with Cablelabs to allow for 3rd party software such as SageTV, MythTV etc to access the HDHR CC stream for those channels that are "copy freely." Not everything we want by any stretch, but an excellent inclusion by SiliconDust - I love that company.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Anyway, it appears that SiliconDust is applying with Cablelabs to allow for 3rd party software such as SageTV, MythTV etc to access the HDHR CC stream for those channels that are "copy freely." Not everything we want by any stretch, but an excellent inclusion by SiliconDust - I love that company.
That would be awesome. Well, at least for the people that have a good cable service (not time warner).

The satellite guys are still left in the dark though. Someday...
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Sage Expert

Trendkillers!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:22 PM
SageTVaholic

For what it's worth, I wrote up a little article on what little I know about the SiliconDust HDHR Prime getting "copy freely" open to stream for SageTV, MythTV etc. Still interesting.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Neat, but I'm not sure it would help me out. Last time I checked I got less over FireWire on Cox than I do using regular Clear QAM. Some of the channels sent in the clear are actually marked Copy Once or Copy Never.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Neat, but I'm not sure it would help me out. Last time I checked I got less over FireWire on Cox than I do using regular Clear QAM. Some of the channels sent in the clear are actually marked Copy Once or Copy Never.
Yeah I got cox here and over cable card you only get locals marked clear everything else is copy once. So it would do us no good and with a WMC it would do us no good because their extenders suck and they have not client.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

It would be nice if there was a list somewhere showing what the different cable providers and networks offer as copy freely,once,never. This way we could actually plan on a CC device if it were worth it in our areas. anyone know of anything like that?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Yeah I got cox here and over cable card you only get locals marked clear everything else is copy once. So it would do us no good and with a WMC it would do us no good because their extenders suck and they have not client.
I thought the Xbox 360 made a pretty good Media Center Extender? Plus, it plays games!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:36 AM
SageTVaholic

If you only want to watch TV it's pretty good. Much beyond that and it's very limited.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFranch View Post
I thought the Xbox 360 made a pretty good Media Center Extender? Plus, it plays games!
You said it all right there it is a game machine first, xbox live machine second and a extender third. The codec support sucks forget about high bitrate playback from blu rays. Even converted they have to hold a pretty low bitrate or xbox will choke. Plus it is a power hungry monster and hotter than h e double hockey sticks.Nothing compared to the hd200 or even hd100 or heck even the media MVP can play native DVDs.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

As long as FIOS is pretty much copy freely (except for some premiums) I'll be looking forward to the new Silicondust CC device because it would take a load off my unreliable HD-PVR. And I hope that everything works out so that I can use it in SageTV.

Clients: HD200, HD300, Win7 Desktop

Capture Devices: Hauppauge Colossus & 1 HDHR, TV Service: Verizon FIOS