SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

Question on new plugin manager

So I'm not a developer and my knowledge of studio limits me to creating simple stvi's which are not much use beyond my own preferences. In addition, this whole 'submit' a plugin thing feels like the plugin list should be limited to 'real' plugins. Don't get me wrong, I really like the fact that an approval system has been put in place and feel it gives an aura of professionalism to the plugin system. But, I still want to use my own stvi's - can I still do this?
Old 05-21-2010, 07:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1971 View Post
So I'm not a developer and my knowledge of studio limits me to creating simple stvi's which are not much use beyond my own preferences. In addition, this whole 'submit' a plugin thing feels like the plugin list should be limited to 'real' plugins. Don't get me wrong, I really like the fact that an approval system has been put in place and feel it gives an aura of professionalism to the plugin system. But, I still want to use my own stvi's - can I still do this?
Yes just import them using import stvi just like you use too.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ah cool, I didn't even check to see if that option was still in the menu. So I can imagine I'd first use the plugin manager to add official plugins and then add my stvis after that.
So will the 'Download' section of the forum still host stvis which are not officially submitted?
Old 05-21-2010, 08:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ah cool, I didn't even check to see if that option was still in the menu. So I can imagine I'd first use the plugin manager to add official plugins and then add my stvis after that.
So will the 'Download' section of the forum still host stvis which are not officially submitted?
If you are going to share you mise well make it a plugin that is what the system is for so people don't have to look for addins

that being said I don't think they are killing the download section.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
If you are going to share you mise well make it a plugin that is what the system is for so people don't have to look for addins

that being said I don't think they are killing the download section.
Oh I won't be bashful about sharing something useful but some of my stuff is just down right lame and I wouldn't want to clutter up the good stuff
Cheers
Old 05-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

plugin upgrade

With the new plugin manager, once we install a plugin (lets say v1), and a new version comes out (v2) how would we upgrade? [my sense just install over the old one like in v6 and prior.?.?.]

1. will there be a notice that a new plugin is available?
2. do we uninstall v1 before installing v2 ... or
3. install v2 over v1?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Sage Icon

1. Yes. The plugin manager list will indicate an update is available. I'm not sure if there will be system messages or not.
  2. no...
  3. yes
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I really like the fact that an approval system has been put in place and feel it gives an aura of professionalism to the plugin system.
To be clear, there is no "approval system". The submission process is totally automatic, and simply verifies that the plugin's installer is well-formed. There is no hands-on testing of submitted plugins by SageTV support, nor any implication that submitted plugins are of professional quality.

Quote:
But, I still want to use my own stvi's - can I still do this?
Aside from simply importing them the old-fashioned way, as Plucky mentioned, you can also create a local plugin repository visible only to you, and use it to install and manage your private plugins through the new V7 plugin manager. See the plugin developer's guide for details.