SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Sage User

Exclamation New Sage Version doesn't find Channels during scan

I want to give as much background information as possible, since I have been trouble shooting this for a couple weeks and have not been able to find an answer, so please excuse the length.

I have been using SageTV since v5 and have had very little problems and gotten very much enjoyment out of it. Since I moved to germany 4 years ago, I was able to just change out tuner cards and it continued to work flawlessly. My problem started when after having a running system for two years, it started to do some strange things (losing connection to sage service, etc.). It was working fine with the SageTV version 6.2.10, and my single Hauppauge HVR-1300 to record the analog cable signal in Germany.

I decided to upgrade to the newest version while doing a clean install on my HTPC, so I installed the v6.6.2 version and could not get any channels during the scan for updates. I choose Germany as the country in the initial setup, and added the TV Tuner just as I did to get the v6.2.10 to work. But either it found no channels or it found a couple channels where it looked like the frequency is off (only half of the picture is there, or it is really snowy).

I decided maybe it was a problem with drivers or software compatibility versions so I tried (everytime with a fresh install of WinXP Sp3 with all updates from an image server) about 10-15 installation processes varying:

1. Hauppauge WinTv6 and WinTv7, both only drivers, or with complete software
2. Different versions of the Java Runtime Environment including the latest
3. SageTv version 6.6.2, 6.5.20, and the new beta 7.0.9

I had no luck with any combination of the above. However, when I install SageTv v6.2.10 everything works like before. Maybe I am missing a big point here, but I am running out of ideas.

I have Kabel Deutschland service, normal analog cable. Any suggestions on what can be done to get this working would be very helpful.

thanks,
Josh

HTPC Specs:
Asus P5N7A-VM
Intel e5200 Core Duo 2x2.50 Ghz
2 x 1GB Kingston DDR2-800 Memory (checked today with MemTest)
Hauppauge HVR-1300
LG DVD Burner
Corsair 380W PSU
Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Sage User

Thumbs up Problem with country frequencies

Ok, I got it working at least with the v7 beta. I am not sure if the solution is the same for the v6 issues, but I assume so.

The problem, I believe, stems from the frequencies that the cable channels are on in Germany. As far as I know, sage uses the frequencies for each country that are specified in the /Program Files/Sage Tv/Sage Tv/PredefinedDVBC.frq file. Since I was choosing Germany, and no frequencies are defined for Germany, it couldn't find any channels.

When I added a section with Germany frequencies, I still couldn't do a channel scan. There was a program error which halted the process before it even started. Regardless, I went to watch LiveTv, and all of the channels were there exactly as I knew them in SageTv v6.2.10.

Should this be something that is added to the default file that is distributed with Sage?

Hope this can help someone else out.

Josh
Old 05-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

There have been other posts about problems with the Predefined frequencies files. When the information in them is up to date it significantly shortens the time it takes to do a scan, but when it is wrong it is far from obvious what the problem is. Most people, like you did, suspect their tuner hardware or its drivers.

I think the scan menu should offer a choice betwen "Scan all frequencies" or "Scan the following frequencies only".

Last edited by fac13; 05-24-2010 at 07:09 AM. Reason: typo