SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:20 AM
Sage User

Question Option to remove, disable, or hide "Exit SageTV" menu?

Hi all,

I am really loving v7 beta 09 .. BUT .. perhaps I'm missing a setting or an option -- or maybe I can put in a request for a feature (removal?).

I would like to **REMOVE** the option to have the "EXIT" menu at the bottom of the UI ... If one of my kids selects it (confirmed or not), we have to go in via VNC or some other method to find the icon on the desktop and reopen the SageTV client, a bit of a pain.

I'd like to be able to lockdown the system altogether, like we were able to in SageMC (yes I know SageMC is not an "official" Sage release, but a lot of people used it, including myself ... and customized it almost beyond recognition on top of that ...)

Is there an option or a setting / switch I am missing somewhere?

I already set the item to "Sleep Sage" when the window is closed (if that ever happened by somebody bumping a mouse), but that won't stop clicking out of the app by selecting "Exit SageTV" - on accident or not ...

Aside from this little snag, Sage 7 is as close to perfect as I need it to be.

Any ideas? Thanks everyone!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

have you ever used

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=267

It will launch sage from the start button press on the remote.

Paul
Old 05-25-2010, 06:32 AM
Sage User

Hi Paul --

Actually, remapping the button is the right idea and along the right track but .. I'd rather be able to not even have the 'oops' factor of having SageTV closed out (even if it means "modifying" the XML file by REM'ing out the menu item, which I am kind of leaning towards .. anyone want to lend an old guy a hand?).

Now don't get me wrong, I know the option to exit Sage is pretty well protected and has several levels of "Are you sure?" but .. people are persistent and sometimes remote buttons get stuck

What I have presently configured is that the Hauppauge 45-button remote Green button puts SageTV to sleep (bouncing the logo around) but I am afraid that one day I'll go to switch the TV on and be faced with the Windows desktop -- which means the SageTV app was instead closed out, and not just put to sleep with the green button.

As I understand it, if you jump through all the hoops of "Are you sure? Are you REALLY sure?" it will close the program and ALSO stop the server, not allowing recordings to happen .. ?

Being able to open SageTV by remapping the Home button will bring things in line again BUT .. what if the fact that Sage was closed out is not discovered until after a weekend away? The GAF would plummet, you don't want to mess with her missing her shows ...

I'd rather have no option to exit SageTV except by brute force. Or at least have an option to have that option.

My main SageTV box runs both 1 client and server on the same PC, although I do have a PlaceShifter laptop that I use on occasion.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

If you are running Server/Client and you Exit on the Client it has no impact on the server. If you are on the Server and running SageTV Service and the UI seperately, going to Exit will have no impact and just close the UI. It's only a problem when you are on the Server and not using SageTV Service.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Sage Expert

Why on earth would someone event want an EXIT option on the menu? I can see its use if you're using this in front of your computer with a mouse. But generally people press the POWER button on a remote to shut down their CE devices.

Oh NO! I can't find the exit menu on my DVD player. On my TV. On my radio... What will I ever do?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 AM
SageTVaholic

There's a plugin for this

'Hide Exit on Main Menu' in the STVI section.

btl.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Sage User

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Bialio !!!

Now, aside from random crashes which I'm sure are something I'm taxing my system out from doing something odd (PlayOn Server and AirVideo Server may not like each other very much), I am one happy camper. I am pretty sure there will be other interface mods [color scheme changes, etc] but for the most part, who could ask for anything more.

Cheers!
Old 05-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Sage User

Oh and Bialio, I didn't know you WROTE said plugin you were suggesting ..

How hard was it to do?

Do you think you'd be able to help us poor coding-challenged folks to make a reassignable Main [or custom] menu?

Amazing that you were able to "fix" that in such a short order for us.

You ROCK!
Old 05-25-2010, 10:18 AM
SageTVaholic

I had removed exit on my system at home almost immediately after pulling the plug on SageMC - I just use extenders, so it really wasn't functionally terrible if I hit exit, I just don't like stuff taking up space when I don't need it.

This change was trivial. Dynamic menus is NOT, so I'm staying away from that one. Although, I will say (shameless plug) Phoenix has a dynamic menu

btl.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the tip Phoenix's dynamic menu - is it an STVi? Or am I missing the concept here.

Basically, I have sort of fallen in love with my SageMC_169 interface .. I knew where all the menu options were, mainly because I put most of them in place myself, hehe ..

But the one option I'd really like to use the dynamic menus for? Getting direct access to the PlayOn stuff instead of having to drill down like 8 clicks, grrrr ...

I know it's likely an issue with how the PlayOn plugin was written, but still
Old 05-25-2010, 10:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
There's a plugin for this

'Hide Exit on Main Menu' in the STVI section.

btl.
I never thanked you for that one... So THANK YOU!!!!!

Note to SageTV Devs. Please make it an option to remove "Exit" from the main menu. Thanks
Oh, and I sure can't wait for Dynamic Menus to come back
Old 05-25-2010, 10:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Phoenix is still in development. Nothing else to say there

The PlayOn plugin isn't really a Playon plugin - it's a Universal PnP browser. It just so happens that Playon makes itself available to the computers on your network as a UPnP Service.

I think evilpenguin has some plans to add some of the shortcuts that we had in V6 back into V7 - like the quick links to the different networks etc. But further than that we will have to see.....

btl.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Sage User

It seems Hide Exit on Main Menu plugin does not work with SageTV 7.1.2 Beta. Any updates? Thanks..