SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm a businessman. Why do the r&d for a new device, that doesn't obsolete the old one, if it wont sell for more profit that the current device.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm a businessman. Why do the r&d for a new device, that doesn't obsolete the old one, if it wont sell for more profit that the current device.
If an HD-300 comes out that supports DTS-HD and other features I will gladly sell you an HD-200 for $180 :-)
Old 07-18-2010, 09:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Fuzzy,

If the HD300 does come out I'll sell you my perfectly good HD100's cheap.

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:18 AM
SageTVaholic

My 'secondary' locations, which are bedrooms and such, would only ever need an HD200 (HD100 has trouble with some bluray's, so not an option). However, they will never need HD audio, meaning the HD300 (or whatever) would be overkill. As for my primary viewing location, I do too many things there that the HD300 will likely never do (gaming, appealing music visualizations, 3D video, etc), so it isn't an option there either. My point was, even if they DO come out with an HD300, most likely, it would just end up costing me more than if they were still making/selling the HD200. The only real reason for them to discontinue the HD300 would be to make sure people still buy the more expensive HD300, whether they need it or not.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

IF a HD300 is coming I hope it's faster. Allegedly Ortus requires more CPU and hopefully the HD300 has it. Otherwise, I'll be looking at putting together my own clients with an i3 or i5.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
My 'secondary' locations, which are bedrooms and such, would only ever need an HD200 (HD100 has trouble with some bluray's, so not an option). However, they will never need HD audio, meaning the HD300 (or whatever) would be overkill. As for my primary viewing location, I do too many things there that the HD300 will likely never do (gaming, appealing music visualizations, 3D video, etc), so it isn't an option there either. My point was, even if they DO come out with an HD300, most likely, it would just end up costing me more than if they were still making/selling the HD200. The only real reason for them to discontinue the HD300 would be to make sure people still buy the more expensive HD300, whether they need it or not.
I am not a business man but I am a over active consumer and I think offering the HD200 at $180 or less and a HD300 for some amount more that handles the HD audio would be a good selection. I agree that I would not need or want to pay extra for an extender for my bedroom because it can handle HD audio but I would be more than willing to pay more for one I put into my main viewing area.

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Sage Icon

It very well could be that the HW manufacturer has reached "End of Life" for the box that Sage is customizing as the HD200 and is now offering a box that has newer, more capable components. I imagine that the lifetime of these SOC's is 2-3 years tops. Maybe that's not the case here (HD300 is just a rumor after all) but I'm pretty sure that sooner or later that is how the "HD300" will come about. Not because Sage chose to forego tried and true HW for a more expensive and unnecessary upgrade but because their HW supplier has upgraded.

S
Old 07-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Sage Icon

BTW, when and if an 'HD300' comes out and it can handle DTS I will be upgrading all my HD200's as I'm currently without any way to play most BD discs anywhere in my house making my Netflix queue nearly useless.

(I have a BD drive in my Sage server and a lifetime sub to AnyDVD-HD but 2/3 to 3/4 of the BDs in my Netflix queue are DTS only. My only option right now is to rip and transcode audio but I would prefer to be able to just play from the disc.)

S
Old 07-18-2010, 12:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
not really.. I was going to be content purchasing an HD200 at $180... now, I'm guessing if I want an extender, I'm gonna be spending $225+ on an HD300 that doesn't add any extra features i am needing...
That's all speculation of course.

Didn't the HD200 come out at the same price point as the HD100 had been selling for? So in that case you got more for the same money.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

why no updates from SAGETV personnel?

i'm just confused as to why there is so little information about actual instock dates for the HD200 or any info from SageTV re: updated hardware...it's not even that they want to avoid people holding off on purchasing the HD200 in anticipation of a newer product coming out??? there is no stock of HD200 to sell off....why the info blackout for the past 3 months....kinda unusual for a company that is so forthcoming with updates to its software, responses to help requests....there should be info by NOW!!! to all the sagetv moderators looking at this thread..give us some information....anything...telling me that it will not be available until september for example will not make me go to another media center software....it will just prevent me from wasting money on a PC client when i could just get the extender in a few months.....JAT
Old 07-18-2010, 02:46 PM
SageTVaholic

If you ordered an HD200 Sage has already responded that they expect more in stock in the next few weeks. A doubt they can be more precise than "a few weeks".

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
not really.. I was going to be content purchasing an HD200 at $180... now, I'm guessing if I want an extender, I'm gonna be spending $225+ on an HD300 that doesn't add any extra features i am needing...
i would guess there will be a number of hd200 available used, as folks upgrade, so you could get one even cheaper!

as for me, i really need hdmi1.3 for HD audio, as the big thing for my home theater (then i move one of my hd200 to the basement tv set in front of the cross trainer and exercise stuff)
Old 07-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
If you ordered an HD200 Sage has already responded that they expect more in stock in the next few weeks. A doubt they can be more precise than "a few weeks".
The response I got two days ago from sage on when HD200s would be available:

We should have more HD Extenders in the next month or two.

Thanks,

George Oms
SageTV, LLC

Which is the same response others posted weeks ago. Who posted that their response was a few weeks?

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 07-18-2010, 06:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
i would guess there will be a number of hd200 available used, as folks upgrade, so you could get one even cheaper!

as for me, i really need hdmi1.3 for HD audio, as the big thing for my home theater (then i move one of my hd200 to the basement tv set in front of the cross trainer and exercise stuff)
As i mentioned, HDMI 1.3 isn't all that important to me, as it really only adds bitstreaming... For starters, I don't have an HDMI receiver yet, but even if I did, 7.1 LPCM is just as good as bitstreaming, and works on HDMI 1.2 (if the extender firmware supported it), just does the decoding on the source, instead of the receiver.. (actually, in my eyes, it's better than bitstreaming, because it supports mixing of other sounds with the main soundtrack - like UI sounds on certain interactive disc features).

Aside from that, i don't need an extender in my main viewing location, as I already use a fully capable PC (my server) for it. I need this for stereoscopic video and games anyways, so might as well use it for sage too.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:25 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarroterl View Post
Its very simple. People are posting that they're unhappy because SageTV isn't telling them when HD200s will be available. Yet these same people ignore the fact that SageTV has been telling anyone who emails them when the HD200s are due in..
Jeez man, relax. It's just as "simple" that you know these people have the information, now just ignore it if they continue to as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarroterl View Post
If the agenda is to have something to complain about they're being successful.

If the agenda is to find out when HD200s will be available all it takes is an email.
That description applies just as much to you. If the agenda was to give people information, all it took was the first post. If the agenda was really for you to have something to complain about as well -- other people complaining -- then "you're being successsul" (sic).

People are impatient and frustrated. Just let them be, let themn vent or whatever. Don't go out of your way to exacerbate their frustration!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
As i mentioned, HDMI 1.3 isn't all that important to me, as it really only adds bitstreaming... For starters, I don't have an HDMI receiver yet, but even if I did, 7.1 LPCM is just as good as bitstreaming, and works on HDMI 1.2 (if the extender firmware supported it), just does the decoding on the source, instead of the receiver.. (actually, in my eyes, it's better than bitstreaming, because it supports mixing of other sounds with the main soundtrack - like UI sounds on certain interactive disc features).

Aside from that, i don't need an extender in my main viewing location, as I already use a fully capable PC (my server) for it. I need this for stereoscopic video and games anyways, so might as well use it for sage too.
i believe dts won't work with lpcm (so far) as dts is not decoded (probably license fee involved) so bitstream to a capable avr works for a lot of folks (of course, your mileage may vary)

lots of different priorities for lots of folks................they try to keep the most folks possible happy

cheers
Old 07-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

is it time for someone to start the "it's really slow in the hd300 beta forum"
thread yet?

Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
is it time for someone to start the "it's really slow in the hd300 beta forum"
thread yet?

look around you...

Old 07-31-2010, 08:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Any news on HD200 stock, or more on the rumors about the HD300?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Cool

i beliave there next version soon, becouse long time no hd200. sagetv need to sell - it's pointless to run shop without selling device.

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;

Tags
hd200, stock, store