SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Restarting while recording deleted partial recording

I (stupidly) accepted the prompt to restart Sage while a recording was in progress. When it restarted, it started the recording again, and created a file for the second segment. However, the first segment was deleted.

In the past, when I have made this mistake, I thought Sage kept the first segment, so the only thing that I was missing was the gap between segments while the software was actually down. Does anyone know if that is true? If so, I believe the behavior that I witnessed tonight to be a bug and I'll report it as such.

Also, could we get an "Are you sure?" prompt if accepting the restart dialog while a recording is in progress? I need to be protected from myself.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingwiz View Post
I (stupidly) accepted the prompt to restart Sage while a recording was in progress. When it restarted, it started the recording again, and created a file for the second segment. However, the first segment was deleted.

In the past, when I have made this mistake, I thought Sage kept the first segment, so the only thing that I was missing was the gap between segments while the software was actually down. Does anyone know if that is true? If so, I believe the behavior that I witnessed tonight to be a bug and I'll report it as such.

Also, could we get an "Are you sure?" prompt if accepting the restart dialog while a recording is in progress? I need to be protected from myself.
It sounds like a bug to me. On rare occasions I've needed to restart the entire PC while a recording is in progress. Sage always used to retain the first segment of the recording and would present the two segments as a single recording with a missing (red) bit in the middle. This might have been a SageMC thing but I doubt it.

On a side note, you might want to consider running Sage as a service. This way you can restart the client app without disturbing any recordings, remote clients etc.

Mick.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickp View Post
On a side note, you might want to consider running Sage as a service. This way you can restart the client app without disturbing any recordings, remote clients etc.
Running as a service is definitely a good idea, but still doesn't save you from those cases where upgrading or uninstalling a plugin requires a service restart. I agree with the OP that there should be a stronger warning in this case if recordings are in progress or imminent.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Running as a service is definitely a good idea, but still doesn't save you from those cases where upgrading or uninstalling a plugin requires a service restart. I agree with the OP that there should be a stronger warning in this case if recordings are in progress or imminent.
And in fact, I am running as a service. What GKusnick describes is almost exactly what happened. I upgraded a plugin and said no to the initial restart prompt. Then I hit the home button and got a second restart prompt that I wasn't expecting. I hit enter before I knew what I had done. (I meant to go to TV, which is what that enter press would have done, were there no prompt.)

Thanks for confirming my memory of past behavior. I'll submit a bug for this.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, after finally getting some time to try to narrow down the cases in which this happens, I can't get it to happen again. I tried both manual and favorite recordings. Both worked correctly.

I had upgraded from 7.0.10 to 7.0.11 between reporting this originally and now. So, I won't be submitting a bug report unless this happens again and I can reproduce it.