SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 PM
SageTVaholic

HA is not really a necessity for anyone, and not something most people even think they could use, therefore, when talking about the value of all the other, more tangible home value factors, like appearance, neighborhood, and living space, it is incredibly minor. This is the main reason it is left a niche market to those who want the coolness factor and have the extra cash to pay to have it set up, or hobbyist tinkerers who just can't stop messing with stuff.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Sage Icon

[QUOTE=mistergq;438485]Tonight, I was reading an article about home improvements that do not add value to your house. Home automation was one of those repairs. It is a shame, however, in this economy, it is not priority. [QUOTE]

I'd actually argue that Home Automation will DECREASE a home's value unless it is in the very high end homes. 99.5% of people don't are not technical and would dislike the idea of an automated house. Their thought process goes something like this, "I cannot get the time set on the VCR - how can I use or maintain an automated house?"

There are 0.5% of people that can afford to pick up the phone any time something is wrong and have someone come and fix it and therefore don't look at automation as a negative. They also want the automation because either A) they have seen it in other houses and want it or B) they want to impress their friends with it.

I bet that 99% of the people self-installing CQC, Homeseer, or other DIY type automation systems are doing it as a hobby, not as a "value add" for the home.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 07-26-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
I'd actually argue that Home Automation will DECREASE a home's value unless it is in the very high end homes. 99.5% of people don't are not technical and would dislike the idea of an automated house. Their thought process goes something like this, "I cannot get the time set on the VCR - how can I use or maintain an automated house?"
I agree - I hate to think what would happen if I ever sell my place, which I never plan to do, as it is not obvious how to maintain these systems. The same thing if I ever passed away unexpectedly.

And that is to say nothing about what would happen to the Sage system!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:17 PM
SageTVaholic

That's my thought too, especially a DIY or pseudo DIY system. I'm a techy, and I'd love to throw in some nifty automation stuff (like a garage door sensor, among other things), but I don't want/plan to stay in my current house indefinitely. I know if I were looking for a house I would not be enthused having to deal with someone else's DIY HA system, especially if it were deeply integrated.

I think good, professionally installed (and thus supported) HA could be a net plus (however small) to value, but I'd be worried about a DIY one.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
Tonight, I was reading an article about home improvements that do not add value to your house. Home automation was one of those repairs. It is a shame, however, in this economy, it is not priority. We have been putting most our money into making energy efficient repairs over cosmetic or luxury repairs. We have made cheap cosmetic repairs such as painting, changing light fixtures, etc. But kitchen remodel will be years down the road. And something like home automation, not sure that will be happening in any time in the the near or long term future.
I saw that article online. The first item I saw for improvements that add no value - Home Theater.

I don't care if the home theater I have above my garage adds value to my home. It adds value to me. I built this theater for me (and my family). It's my man-cave and I love it.

I would be willing to paint the room (if necessary) if I were to sell this house, but honestly I'd probably sell the house with that room (only that room) furnished, complete with the projector and I bet I'd get more prospective buyers that way.

But again - I didn't build that room for prospective buyers, I built it for my family.

And I would love to get into home automation. I doubt I have the time, money or expertise to do it myself but I may try. But I'll do it because I want it, not to increase my home's value.

(I'd rather keep my home value low. My taxes are high enough as is!)
Old 07-27-2010, 09:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrew View Post
I saw that article online. The first item I saw for improvements that add no value - Home Theater.

I don't care if the home theater I have above my garage adds value to my home. It adds value to me. I built this theater for me (and my family). It's my man-cave and I love it.

I would be willing to paint the room (if necessary) if I were to sell this house, but honestly I'd probably sell the house with that room (only that room) furnished, complete with the projector and I bet I'd get more prospective buyers that way.

But again - I didn't build that room for prospective buyers, I built it for my family.

And I would love to get into home automation. I doubt I have the time, money or expertise to do it myself but I may try. But I'll do it because I want it, not to increase my home's value.

(I'd rather keep my home value low. My taxes are high enough as is!)
I dont think even that article is saying NOT to do a home theater or HA system, just dont treat it like a kitchen remodel, where you will likely get your money back or more at sale time.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I dont think even that article is saying NOT to do a home theater or HA system, just dont treat it like a kitchen remodel, where you will likely get your money back or more at sale time.
I just skimmed the article. I guess the whole idea of home upgrades strictly for the purpose of increasing home value is foreign to me.

I bought my house to live in. Improvements we've made or not made or plan to make are for our enjoyment, with really no thought to what might happen if we sell someday. Then again, we really like our house and neighborhood and God-willing, we'll never sell.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrew View Post
I just skimmed the article. I guess the whole idea of home upgrades strictly for the purpose of increasing home value is foreign to me.

I bought my house to live in. Improvements we've made or not made or plan to make are for our enjoyment, with really no thought to what might happen if we sell someday. Then again, we really like our house and neighborhood and God-willing, we'll never sell.
I think that is the common way most people look at it. But the fact remains, that the average time any family stays in a given home is only about 4-5 years. So that potential for higher resale from your improvements, ultimately reduces the net cost of those upgrades. So, if you are going to get the same quality of life improvements for two different upgrades, and one of them has potential to be over half paid for on resale, and the other does not, it makes more sense to pursue the former.