SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

User interface HD 300

My understanding is that the HD 200 in stand alone mode uses the Sage standard user interface. In the mode as client to the server it uses the user interface as used on the server.
In my case I use Sage-MC user interface.
This means depending on mode of operation (stand alone or client to server) I will be faced with two different user interfaces which is an absolute no/no for the WAF.

Does the HD 300 handle this as one and the same user interface and in my case Sage-MC??
Old 09-01-2010, 02:58 PM
SageTVaholic

The HD300 looks like the HD200 on the screen.

B
Old 09-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemse View Post
My understanding is that the HD 200 in stand alone mode uses the Sage standard user interface. In the mode as client to the server it uses the user interface as used on the server.
In my case I use Sage-MC user interface.
This means depending on mode of operation (stand alone or client to server) I will be faced with two different user interfaces which is an absolute no/no for the WAF.

Does the HD 300 handle this as one and the same user interface and in my case Sage-MC??
"Stand Alone Mode" means the HD200 / HD300 is not connected to a PC that is running the SageTV Media Center Software. This would be intended for people who just want to playback downloaded videos, music, or pictures stored on a hard drive or memory stick somewhere. This would apply to 2 main groups of users: those who don't have a TV capture device, or those who are using some other non-Sage media center software (like Windows MCE) to schedule their recordings.

If you have a PC with the Sage Server software, I'm not sure why you would ever use stand alone mode.

Since the stand-alone mode is designed to work without a SageTV server PC, it has to have its own User interface (how would it know that you are using SageMC on a server that it is not talking to?). With the current firmware for the HD200, the interface is similar to the SageTV3 interface used in version 6. It appears that at least for now, the HD300 will use the same interface in Stand-Alone mode.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 09-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for your responses.
Reason to use both in stand alone and as client is the fact that Sage system is installed in my office long way from living and not sure PC can handle Wake on lan. So I have to go over to office to wake system up. I rather use it then as stand-alone.
So I have to investigate WOL possibility other wise it may not fly to get one!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:02 PM
SageTVaholic

You're supposed to be able to run custom STVs on the HD300 in standalone mode, but I'm not sure anyone has tried, and I think it runs a more stripped down version of Java so it might not handle everything (Phoenix API?).
Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Stanger for your reply

Any possibility to have this tested with Sage-MC as UI??
Would be very interesting for my use
Old 09-02-2010, 02:51 PM
SageTVaholic

As I understand it, a custom standalone UI has to be pretty much designed from the ground up for the extender. You can't just take an existing STV like SageMC and throw it on there and expect it to work, because the whole software environment that SageMC depends on (Java runtime, third-party JARs and DLLs, disk-based config files and so on) won't be there in standalone mode.