SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

I did take my two HD-200 in trade-in for the HD 300, I will replace them in a heartbeat!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by impro View Post
Why it is MAC FAULT.
I must have missed that.
He didn't say it was MAC's fault... he said it WASN'T sage's fault. Sage doesn't write device drivers, that's up to the hardware manufacturers.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-14-2010, 09:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
He didn't say it was MAC's fault... he said it WASN'T sage's fault. Sage doesn't write device drivers, that's up to the hardware manufacturers.
Thaks for Clarifying Fuzzy!

Exactly. This isn't anyone's fault. It is just a limitation to the platform! Many devices do not have drivers. Plus any internal card based tuners are out because (again other than the Mac Pro), you can't install them in iMac's, Mac Mini's, Macbook Pro's, etc. etc......

Granted I could probably do a server of all HDPVR's and HDHomerun's..... but that's pretty limiting and expensive. A Cheap tower and dual tuners likes the Avermedia Duet make the Windows platform a much more favorable platform for Sage usage. Someday I may switch to Linux, but for right now I am rollin' with Windows for Sage.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Granted I could probably do a server of all HDPVR's and HDHomerun's..... but that's pretty limiting and expensive.
I suppose expensive but I can't see how that's limiting. I can't see how it's anything but just the opposite. You can have any number of HDHR's and HDPVR's without ever needing to shut down or open your server. You still get everything else you would from your Avermedia card that you do from the HDHR except that you have the flexibility of being able to place it anywhere in your home as long as it's attached to the network.

Again, I don't see how using only HDHR's and HDPVR's is limiting. I personally have a single HDPVR and 1.5 HDHR's (one tuner on one of my HDHR's doesn't work properly) on my server.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
They dont want competiotion for their AppleTV Itunes Scam.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Again, I don't see how using only HDHR's and HDPVR's is limiting. I personally have a single HDPVR and 1.5 HDHR's (one tuner on one of my HDHR's doesn't work properly) on my server.
It's not limiting in content, it's just limiting my future expansion. What if Cable card becomes a reality for Sage? What if the next big thing comes out in tuners that's internal only? I can't recommend Mac for Sage (clients, placeshifter yes, server no). But this is just my .02 worth.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-14-2010, 06:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
It's not limiting in content, it's just limiting my future expansion. What if Cable card becomes a reality for Sage?
HDHomerun Prime, FWIW.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Several comments here.

1. You can't put cards into a HP MediaSmart Server either, just like a mac. I went with the windows based version simply because I felt like the mac version was not being supported as much as the windows version. I prefer OS X, but some things its necessary to run windows on. Another example is I had to have another windows box to run my home automation software.

2. As far as signals on just an antenna. I can receive about 18 digital channels now with my HDHR. Its great as they are nice HD shows on the main networks. I'm paying for comcast cable internet now and have to pay an extra $15 premium for not having their TV service. It turns out they have a non-advertised Digital Economy package that will give me a few channels I'd miss for the kids for $30. When I sign up for that, I'll not have to pay the $15 penalty for cable internet and end up only paying $15 for extra cable TV channels we could not normally get. In the end I'll still save $60/mo losing directv.

I'll still need to get the HDHR Prime going when it comes out... hint hint ;-)
Old 09-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
This thread got me thinking about my setup, so this seems like as good a place to pose this question as any other.

I'll now have two MVPs that are retired & shelved. I'd like to have music in the basement, and the MVPs seem like they might be an OK way to go. I don't have an extra TV kicking around, so it'd be a headless MVP setup.
This is cool idea, but how can you navigate and select music without a display to see what is going on?

Last edited by joe123; 09-23-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123 View Post
This is cool idea, but how can you navigate and select music without a display to see what is going on?
Use the Android phone app.
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 09-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

+1 on taSageTV android client from Fonceur!